Universal The Bard's Tale - (by inXile Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
  2. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
  3. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    No problem. They are making a great game even better. :D

4. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    wow, that's awesome! I played the 1st one all the way through, but never played the other two.

5. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    From reading the article on the main page
    is "The original The Bard's Tale should be showing up this week if all goes according to plan" a different one from what's online already?
    but further down in the article your talking about an update
    I have the one that came out last year.

6. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    The Bard's Tale that is on the App Store right now is a port of the PS2/Xbox remake. The developers are adding the original 3 Bard's Tale games to the already existing Bard's Tale game on the App Store in future updates, from the article it looks like the first of the 3 games is due to likely hit this week so the update should be out soon. :D

7. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Really surprised by this tactic. I guess they feel they can make more money updating the new game with that content and encouraging a $5.99 purchase instead of charging a separate $.99 or $1.99 for the old Bard's Tale. I wonder how those games stand up to the test of time. I remember fighting the 99 skeletons, 99 skeletons, 99 skeletons back in the day...

Aside from all of this, I'm finally getting around to playing this game after buying back on launch week. I'm about 6 hours in and LOVING IT. Great game, a lot of fun. A good balance on difficulty, I die enough to make the combat meaningful, but not enough to get super frustrating. The storyline is interesting, fun, and the appropriate amount of silly. The whole Bodb thing was perfectly annoying. The iCloud save is PERFECT and I really hope other games follow suit. I definitely recommend this game to anyone on its own merits.

Having said all that, the game is way too big in size already. Hopefully the additionally content will be tiny in comparison. Not looking forward to managing the updates.

8. Sensei

Sensei Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    Teacher, writer
    Japan
    I wonder what version they will use. I hope it's the Apple II version. Thats the one I remember.

9. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Heh, the original games came on floppies, remember? They're not going to be more than a few MBs each - so maybe 10MB more total I would guess.

10. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    The DOS versions of all three games combined add up to just under 2.6 MB.

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hypothetically that these will be included with The Bard's Tale (remake) does not mean they could not also be released separately.

12. Boleje

Boleje Member

Dec 15, 2008
    I am curious to see how they implement controls with the original trilogy. For those of us that played them, will remember you you didn't use a mouse, you used the keyboard exclusively.

I actually ran this on my iphone via idos (dosbox), it ran great, but the controls....it just wasn't practical on a touchscreen device.

13. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Well there ya go. Even less than I figured. Amazing that games were that small once upon a time. Even on iOS today you'd be hard pressed to find a (good) game that size.

14. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    For some reason I am thinking that is was going to be released today?
    Not seeing another Bard's tale or update the existing one?

15. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I'd heard it was going to be added in an update rather than a standalone app. I too have been watching for this all week and am a bit disappointed that it didn't materialize.

16. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    That's correct, the devs are adding them to the Bard's Tale in an update so they will not be a standalone app. From my understanding the first one should be added any day now, the other two will be added in later updates. They said they will be included free so you won't need to pay via IAP or anything. :D

17. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Hope they don't make the game too much bigger. It's massive in file size as it is.

18. JohnnyWasabi

JohnnyWasabi Member

Jun 14, 2009
    The classic games are free in-game downloads so they don't increase the main game size on update/install. The first time you try to play one it will ask you to confirm the download.

19. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Hey, I'm having some trouble with the game. I'm in the frozen tomb area - I just finished the miniquest with the big viking skeleton, and now I'm trying to progress. However, when I try to proceed down the hallway that follows the big room we fought in for the miniquest, the enemies just keep spawning and eventually I get overrun. Is this what's supposed to happen? It somehow feels like a bug. I can't find any other place to go, so it seems like this is the direction I should be headed. Does the onslaught eventually end?

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It's been a while since I did that part, but it I remember correctly it's not a bug. I believe that you have to survive for a set time, then the god/king decides that you are worthy. Or something like that...