Universal The Bard's Tale - (by inXile Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    That's the miniquest -
    the viking goddess appears and tells the skeleton he has to prove himself worthy to be accepted to valhalla, so then you both go and kill lots of the enemies - once he reaches 20, it's done, he goes back to his throne, the goddess reappears to take him away, and then you're left with the stone he was holding.
    It's after that that I'm having trouble.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I got past it somehow -- let me see if I can refresh my memory later tonight.

3. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    cool, thanks!

4. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    So are the classic games available yet? It's hard to tell from this thread if they are actually out.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Can you summon the fire demon yet? That's how much I remember of that section: you had to get the fire demon song to move forward.

6. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    #446 Psac42, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    I'm just slightly ahead of you, I just got past this yesterday, and I had to look through a walkthrough from gamefaqs to answer the same question. No, it's not a bug, and no, those enemies will not stop respawning.

Basically, that area is there to grab what you can while you have the viking working with you, but otherwise the best thing to do, is now that you have the fire elemental, give up on that area and go back to the "guy" on the other side of the frozen wall earlier in the frost mountain, outside of the burial chamber. Once you free him with the fire elemental (the elemental melts the ice), he'll direct you to the way to go. You'll still have a number of those enemies to kill, and they're tough. It also seems like if you take some wrong turns too far away from the goal indicator, you can end up in another area with endless respawn. You will have to go in a slightly roundabout direction to get to the goal, though. Hopefully not too detailed or confusing...

7. JohnnyWasabi

JohnnyWasabi Member

Jun 14, 2009
    #447 JohnnyWasabi, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Hrafn's Viking Tomb

The area with the respawning enemies contains
    treasure chests but otherwise is a dead end/loop. Your way out is to backtrack to the frozen wall and use the Fire Elemental to melt it.
    See this helpful walk-through of the PC version for further hints about getting the most out of the Viking Tombs level: http://faqs.ign.com/articles/562/562447p1.html

8. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    *facepalm* ok, I feel like a idiot now. I actually did go back to him to talk to him, but didn't think to use the elemental. Thanks.

9. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but I accidentally discovered some camera controls on the iPhone version, I'm sure it's the same on the iPad. If you hold one finger on the screen, you can use a second finger to pivot the camera around. (Like drawing a circle with a compass.) Also you can pinch in and out to zoom in and out slightly.

10. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I just bought this game in iTunes. Easily the best 5.99 I've spent I can't wait to get further into it. Runs buttery smooth on my 4s and the graphics are pretty (for the most part) storyline is hilarious and very original. Everyone should have this on their phone/iPod.

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I agree, but personally I think it would be better on an iPad. I played a bit on the iPhone and while it was good, I think it would be a lot better on a bigger screen.

I've actually shelved a couple of games until I get the iPad 3. ^^

12. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    It is. I play the game on both, fully utilizing the iCloud functionality. I love being able to play on the iPad2 at home, and then pick up on the iPhone4 when out and about or when the wife is using the iPad, since it technically is hers :mad:. The game is much more enjoyable on the iPad, but that doesn't make it any less of a great game for the iPhone. I totally agree that any RPG gamer MUST buy this game.

13. Dubstep

Jun 8, 2011
    Best game on iOS hands down no competition if this isn't on your device you're doing it wrong.

14. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    The update is out that includes the original Bard's Tale (episode 1) but I can't download right now. Can anybody tell me what version they used?

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Let me offer an alternative perspective ;)

However, adding the original games to the iOS version is a very, very cool move. Far above and beyond the call of any reasonable duty. I might not be very fond of some of the aspects of the console version of a Bard's Tale (the narrative, dialogue and story in particular), nor of many of the technical weak points of the iOS port, but these devs have certainly displayed generosity and general coolness. I'm looking forward to future releases.

16. Werebite870

Werebite870 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    #456 Werebite870, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    Haven't tried to download it myself yet, but is it possible that yoou might not have enough free space for the update?

NVM read that wrong

17. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    In your opinion lol.

18. Dubstep

Jun 8, 2011
    Updating it now I'll let ya know in about 35 minutes lol

19. Dubstep

Jun 8, 2011
    C64 version

20. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Anyone tried out the Bard's Tale 1 on the latest update yet... how does it play?