Universal The Bard's Tale - (by inXile Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Wondered the same thing. I have enough space to upgrade on the iPad but not my iPhone. I'm concerned about using iCloud with the saved games on two different versions of the game.

2. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    It runs perfect. InXile compensated me for purchasing the game the day before it went on sale. :) one of the devs provided me with a code for 3000 gold to be used towards IAP. That was cool of them to do!

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm ! Being an 'oldie' i remember the original when it first came out, its funny when you play this and then go back to (as the button says 2012!) and see how great the iOS version is.

Its great for a bit of nostalgia for us oldies but i'm sure a lot of youngsters here wont like it at all when they run that.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'd love to see a screenshot...

5. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Played a bit last night. First, it works great, and it's very cool to see some awesome nostalgia on my iDevices. However, I'm not sure I'd play this on the iphone/ipod. There are on screen controls using a cursor (tap on the edges of the 3D window to move/turn or tap on the characters to get their info), but I'd be concerned about hitting the wrong thing with such a small screen. There is a keyboard you can bring up that includes arrow buttons for moving, but that makes the game screen much smaller. On the ipad however, it's all good!

The thing is though, without a mapping feature, the game is VERY difficult. When I played the original, I graphed out every level of every dungeon with graph paper - it was absolutely necessary to avoid getting hopelessly lost. There are maps on the web (and even links to them from the game), but unless you have two devices (like play on an ipad and use your iphone for the maps) or you print them out, that's not very helpful. Does anyone know of BT2 or 3 have dynamic mapping? I never played those.

BTW, once you download the full BT update to give you access to the classic versions, the download of BT1 is VERY fast - just takes seconds to download and install.

6. JohnnyWasabi

JohnnyWasabi Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Saves are cross-version compatible.

The saved games are backward and forward compatible, so it's safe to use iCloud across different versions of the game. I've even loaded original PC saves on the current iOS version and loaded current iOS saves on the original PC game and they all work.

7. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Thanks!!! Interesting that even old PC saves work as well...

8. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    For anyone trying this game out on the new iPad, it doesn't work. It crashes to the deskto right after the copyright screen. The developer is aware of this, and had this to say on the game's Facebook Forum:

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I'm getting an ipad 2 for my bday soon and I love RPG's.

This seems a little pricy but I'm tempted, although if it had The Bards Tale 3: Thief of Fate included, it would be an instant buy, I never did quite finish that game.

Quite sad to see them go to 3d, I still love the old turn based text style. I hope someone does one soon for ios, instant buy for me.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Apparently the full original Bard's Tale trilogy will be free updates to this... http://toucharcade.com/2012/02/20/original-the-bards-tale-trilogy-heading-to-ios-version-in-free-updates/

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its 'pricey' in iOS terms at $5.99 but in real terms its very cheap, you get a great game, plus with all those free retro Bards Tales episodes, think its a great deal. Plus of course i always think when you buy games like this, the more sales they get the more chance we'll get to see some sort of updates/sequel/other similar games if this ones a good seller.

So for just a few dollars you get this quality game, so worth it

12. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Totally agree, I just finished the game over the weekend, after about 25-30 hours of gametime. Well worth the $5.99. Definitely one of my top games on iOS so far, probably my favorite overall iOS "RPG" (if you don't count DungeonRaid, which is a VERY different type of game, and not really a RPG.)

13. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    #473 Artfoundry, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    BT3 will be included soon - they've already put BT1 in and 2 & 3 are planned. Also there are many turn based RPGs on iOS. Check out Silversword and Undercroft - both excellent and very similar to the original BT.

And this version, while nothing like the original, is a great game too.

[update] as it so happens, Silversword just went free!

14. RayZZoo

RayZZoo Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    I have tried Bard's Tale on iPad 3 (I began this game on iPad 2)... and there are a lot of glitches on the screen. I cannot choose to charge my old save game in the start menu. :confused:

15. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    It would be more ports in this case, due to the time lapse. Good game though.

16. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    With the latest update, this is gorgeous on the new iPad! My husband is playing it now, and keeps taking screenshots of his "favorite scenes", they're so beautiful. In fact, hubby loves it so much that I can't pry the iPad away from him, he plays this continuously!

17. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    game is on sale from $5.99 - $1.99

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I grabbed it while on sale. I don't actually know what these game are like, but for $2 for 3 games, I figured it's worth a shot. :) I'm going to have to clear off some space for it, though.

19. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    At about 25 hours of fun (not including the old text games), the best 8 cents per hour you'll ever spend.

20. RayZZoo

RayZZoo Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    Does anyone encounter an issue with the leaderboards (with xp leaderboard) ?

I'm always at 0 xp, and I'm at chapter 7. What I have to do ?