Universal The Bard's Tale - (by inXile Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 30, 2011.

1. staffordling

staffordling Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Best game I've played

2. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Question: am I the only one annoyed by a lack of a mission log? It's difficult to keep track and remember details. Maybe I'm missing something?

3. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I thought this had a mission log?:confused:

I'm not sure what you mean specifically, but there is a tab you can open that tells you what quests are open, right? Is that what you mean?

Haven't opened this one in a minute, but I remember there was a tab that showed various goals and progress toward them, right?

DBC

4. coderkid

Nov 5, 2010
    Huh, maybe I'm just missing it. I'll keep an eye out, thanks.

5. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Found it!

I decided to fire it up so I could check...

So, when the game is running, tap on the "Health/Mana" circle in the upper left hand corner... not the pause button, but the actual circle itself.

A screen comes up with:

Health
    Mana
    Experience
    Blah, blah, blah
    Blah, blah, blah
    Blah, blah, blah

You are looking for the "Quest Log," about 8 spaces down...

Hope that helps!

DBC

6. coderkid

Nov 5, 2010
    Ah, great! Thanks.

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Any chance the original trilogy will be released as a standalone app? This Bard's Tale is too huge to keep around just for playing them...

8. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I really like this idea since the app is so large, and I dont really care much for the remake...or whatever the most recent one is supposed to be.

I'd insta-buy the original trilogy and would like to see the old Might & Magic series come to ios, as well.

9. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    We can always hope. Ultima IV had been released on iOS...

10. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    This doesn't work on my iPad air, it crashes at the first screen, about 2-3 secs after you load it.

Any chance of a fix?

11. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I've owned this since it first came out in 2011. I played a bit then, but it went through some changes that made keeping up with everything difficult so I dropped it. I went back to playing after it got more stable, and the retina graphics changes went live. I made it about half-way through, then life got busy again. When I picked up an Android phone, I ended up purchasing this again through a Humble Bundle. On Android there's an option for super high-res graphics, and wowee the rendering is super impressive! It ran flawless (except for one bug, for which I found a work-around) on my Nexus 5, and looked stunning too! I finally finished the entire game, including all the side quests, and my goodness what a bargain this is. It gave me over 20 hours of great humor, fantastic voice acting, gorgeous graphics and immersive game play! It doesn't matter what platform you own, if you're an RPG/adventure fan, get this and play it now!!

12. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Just finished playing through Baldur's Gate 2... Twice. I had forgotten about this game. I think I'll reload it and give it another try.

The super high-Rez option on Android sounds very cool, by the way!

13. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I was always dissapointed that the console versions of Baldurs Gate didn't see a port after this Bards Tale port; those were much better games and on the same engine.

*Then again I don't think that Fargo wants to miss an emerging market twice.

14. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    What did you like about those versions?

15. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    It's a huge additional download (3.5G!!), but definitely worth it imho. The difference is mainly in the background assets. The character models look the same on Android and iOS, but the background is deliciously lots more detailed on the high-asset Android version. The textures are clean and sharp, the buildings extremely detailed, you can see individual blades of grass and drops of rain -- it's amazing and simply gorgeous! Only a couple of the cutscenes are from the original, low-res version, so look crappy but are serviceable, and I didn't find they detracted from the game because they were very short.

The iOS version has blurrier background assets, but the character models are sharply detailed and the game play is the same. I finished the game, and all the side quests, and was completely enthralled the entire time. I never realized the game had some IAPs until well after it was over -- I never needed it!

Personally, this and Oceanhorn are my two favorite games of this year, and well worth the costs for the content they deliver. Oceanhorn cost $9, and I would've easily paid that for Bard's Tale! There's so much content in this game, it's ridiculous.

16. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

I'm playing this again after getting an MFI controller. There doesn't seem to be a way of opening the map using the controller. On touch controls you can do this by tapping on the minimap.

17. Desertking24

Desertking24 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    If I don't have own this game on PC...is this version good?

18. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
  19. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i noticed this is on sale today.. but does it work on ios 8?

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It does. ;)

Buy it, buy it, buy it.