Universal The Bard's Tale - (by inXile Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Until I become the supreme ruler and overlord of the iOS (I'm working on it but unfortunately funding is causing some delays) you've little to worry about. Until then, my views remain merely the opinions of one individual shared in a public forum.

2. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    But my console + TV is so heavy.

I get your point, but I dont really get it. If the GUI was really bad, yeah, that would be a point. But having games that beat most iphone games at least in playtime/production values can't be that bad.

We won't get native iPhone game with productions values like Bard's Tale until people are willing to pay for it.

I love Dark Meadow with it's voiceovers, but it is also just good for some 7-8 hours and to make it financially interesting they had to resort to the "play the same corridors again and again" trick.

3. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Ok, here's my point in a nutshell: evaluate a game on its own merits. The "but it's a console game on the iOS!" argument is irrelevant.

4. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    #144 Thaurin, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    Strange, from what I've read of the game--I haven't played it yet, not on iOS or on any other platform--it's not the gameplay that gets criticized. It's based on the same engine as the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games, and those games were pretty much part of the best what that platform had to offer in the genre.

Compared to other games of this callibre in the AppStore, The Bard's Tale looks like it's among the best, as well. This is regardless of how the game was received on the original platform. It seems like you don't want this game and others like it (e.g. GTA3) in the AppStore, because you don't enjoy playing full-length, big-budget games. Like square said, it's not like you don't have a choice in more casual games or that those types of games are in danger of dying out.

The Bard's Tale is not going to steal your enjoyment of other games, trust me. :)

Okay, so that's my point really. I don't really see anybody say it's a good game because it's a port of an existing console game. It's just really cool, because it's fun to be able to play such a game on the platform. There aren't many of such games with such high production values and play time (as was said previously).

It's apparent that the quality of this title is pretty high compared to most of the stuff we have on the platform, regardless of the pre-existence of it on Xbox.

5. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    That's fine with me.

6. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    I believe everything you collect conveniently gets auto sold for you and the only items you can view are your weapons. Even those get auto sold. I don't like that part but it does work considering youre playing a mobile game and what not. Makes things stress free? I dunno I like having an inventory but I really like this game any one else liking it?

7. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    My preference for iOS gaming is the quick, play for 5 minutes, type games. Most people are probably sick of Angry Birds, but it does exemplify what's great with iOS gaming, mobile gaming, revolutionised by the Appstore. However, I'm not against console ports, in fact I encourage them. Personally, I don't want to play old games on my Xbox, but in the comfort of my iPad, I will gladly. I think iOS is a great platform for catching some of those gems(or not) you missed on their initial console release.

The A5 and beyond means we can expect a bit more parity between our home and mobile consoles. It's certainly heading that way... and there's space on the Appstore to suit all gaming needs / hardware.

8. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I purchased the game last night, but haven't had a chance to fire it up yet. Generally, I like the idea that console/PC games CAN be ported to iOS. The issue as I see it is, whether it is a lazy, non-optimized port or one done with care. I agree with Gabrien's point that just because a game is a port of a console game, it instantly has merit. It doesn't. We truly should judge a game on its own merits. It isn't always easy to judge games on a platform with such a wide variety of experiences (from Doodle Jump to GTA: Chinatown Wars for example).

9. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I think most would agree with that. Equally, why be against the fact that it is a console port? If it's good and appeals to me, i'll buy it regardless of origin.

I wont be buying GTA3 as I played it to death. But I welcome it to iOS :)

10. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Actually, it has been said, as well as implied a number of times in this thread. It's also an old argument that's been banged about with relation to a number of other games. Admittedly, my posts in this thread are almost certainly coloured by previous discussions.

But that's not relevant so much: you made your point in direct response to mine and you are fully entitled to think more of this game than I do. You also made it very cordially and I appreciate it. I'm going to bow out of this thread now; enjoy the game - sincerely.

11. Psykikgmr

Psykikgmr Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I never understood why some people think console type games shouldn't be on tablets or mobile devices. That's absolutlety ridiculous. If developers thought that we wouldn't have games such as Dead Space, Modern Combat 3, NBA Jam, Aralon, DoDonPachi Resurrection, Grokion, and a slew of old school tpe of RPGs on the system. Can't wait for Grand Theft Auto 3 on the iPad.

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I've never played this game before, so I'm interested, but I really wish there was a free demo to try, as I really have no idea what this game is like. Videos only help so much.

13. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    It's like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Only it tries to be funny.

14. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Expensive? These games pale in expense, to real video games.

Even just buying a $60 dollar game vs. the 3 you purchased for iOS...

The $60 dollar game would be 2 1/2-3 times MORE expensive. iOS is cheap.

I'm not picking on you, I'm just saying I crack up when people feel like iOS games are expensive.

15. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Ok ok, I am a little tired of hearing reviews from people who haven't actually played the game.

Is there no one who can give me a thumbs up or down on buying this? If a few more people could write their thoughts here that would be super duper amazingly awesome-sauce... that is all.

16. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Okay. I didn't have any context other than what was posted, so if that's the case, understoond. :)

Ah, maybe I'll get it, maybe I won't. Thing is that I usually end up not spending a lot of time playing on the iPhone, anyway. Hehehe, perhaps maybe even proving your point. :) But I do think it's really neat to have it on the go.

17. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Ahh, I see, thx. :)
    I had read about weapons being autosold, but I assumed it didn't apply to items such as books and diaries. I find it strange to even include them in the game when we don't get a chance to read them before selling them. :confused:

18. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Yeah I would like to hear some more reviews too!

19. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    #159 Psac42, Dec 1, 2011
    Thank you for the very detailed review. Posts like these are very helpful in deciding whether or not to buy a game. For me, I'm more concerned with the time investment over the $6 price, but I don't want to spend the money if I'll never play it, or dump it as soon as I start.

20. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #160 Quazonk, Dec 1, 2011
    Thank God. I swear every time I see a "civil troll" post on Toucharcade, the same name is attached to it.