The best television series ever.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Kartel, Jul 22, 2011.

1. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Yowch. Are You Being Served was terrible.

I didn't think much of Dads Army and Steptoe and Son either.

2. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Better off Ted.

Most underrated comedy IMO. Critically acclaimed, and ABC just couldn't find a good time slot or advertise well for it. Also like arrested development it's humor, at times went over some heads.

West Wing.

Just a great show that I can still watch, any episode on netflix.

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Blasphemy!!!

Those two are possibly the best tv series of all time. :)

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    What a start to season 4 of TWD..

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Your list was actually pretty refreshing, I enjoyed a few of those in my youth

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its funny as i love a lot of retro music, love retro games but when it comes to retro tv shows i'm not a huge fan.

Have to agree with the OP, Dads Army was 'before my time' so when BBC still showed it when i was older i just didnt really find it that funny, think it was a 'you had to be there'. Bit like Hi De Hi, i loved it as a kid but would i spend some time now watching it on one of the channels ? Hell no.

Are you being served again was funny (for its time), again would i watch it years later for longer than a minute ? Not a chance. That 80's style humour i just dont find that funny anymore, now i'm older i prefer more adult jokes/humour/swearwords, everything back then was mostly 'harmless' family fun on a saturday night.

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    English used to be natural at television, I was watching those shows well past their used buy date as reruns as a kid and enjoyed them years after their issue date. Some have aged better than others but you take them for the era you saw them, comparing them to today's sitcoms where the star will get paid 100x the full production costs of a yesteryear show is a little unfair. And even then comedy as a whole has become very forced, dry and over explained (unless you follow standup which is he generally more independent and less plastic).

There's still some good ones around today, but the hit/miss ratio is a lot wider.