The best television series ever.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Kartel, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Spamcan, you are advocating piracy. You owning the DVDs makes no difference
    Can't you guys rent it on Netflix, or see if Hulu, Instant Stream, Amazon or HBO Go has the shows? If anything, rent the pilot for a buck on iTunes
    My favorites:
    Arrested Development
    Community
    Battlestar Gallactica
    Psych
    Justified
    The Wire
    Mad Men

2. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

#62 Spamcan, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    Mentioning it does not equal advocating it, ignoring the fact that people do it does not stop people from doing it. If I had said "if you can't find anything why don't you just pirate the episodes" then that would have been advocating it. What you're suggesting is that I'd be advocating murder by using the word murder. Piracy is an option people often turn to, I never said it was a good option but I'm certainly not going to ignore the fact that it exists.

"It's only a handful of episodes but if you don't want to buy the DVDs (good) or pirate them (bad) it's an option."

Why on earth would I want someone to pirate something I spent money procuring anyway? Those box sets aren't exactly cheap.

3. plantstorm

plantstorm Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    game developer
    +2 Lily is so cute and Barney is so psycho but funny

4. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    Sopranos and Twin Peaks are my all-time favorites.

I'm deeply in love with Community. So much better than TBBT and HIMYM.

5. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Prison Break?

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    It makes me happy that someone else knows Twin Peaks. :)

7. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
  8. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    Lost
    Sliders
    Twilight Zone
    Laurel & Hardy :)

9. thesharkden

thesharkden Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Curb your enthusiasm

10. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    well, I'm pretty "old" :p (turned 30 this week)

and I love Lynch!

11. Phantomlord

Phantomlord Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Not one Supernatural fan amongst us? Supernatural FTW!

12. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I think I must secretly be old, haha. I am 21 and no one my age knows about Twin Peaks. My mom does, though...

I like Supernatural, but compared to The X-Files, it just isn't as witty, insightful, or fun. Feels too much like watching a B movie every episode and not a drama with characters I actually care about.

13. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

#73 Spamcan, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    Enjoy it while you can. You've got about five more years before you're introspective enough to look back at your childhood and realize people dressed like idiots and enjoyed comically ridiculous trends during a period if tine you vividly remember. It happens to everybody, early 90's neon clothing FTW! :D

14. candywriter

candywriter Well-Known Member

What about:

Always Sunny !

Futurama

and wat no love for South Park?

I also really love Daily Show and Colbert Report

15. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

I decided I'd post this hear. Why is there a direct link between length and enjoyment. It seems the longer something goes on the more people complain about it and a lot of the time the quality doesn't change much. So people want good shows to end it seems.

One example I have straight away is HIMYM. Loads of people are complaining about it but for me season 6 was nearly my favourite yet. At first I thought that made me some crazed fanboy or something but then when I though about it it happens with all shows I enjoy that have a lot of seasons. The more it goes on the more people dislike it. So what is the issue here?? Anyone care to weigh in on this.

16. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    This does tend to happen with long running shows. One one hand sometimes the show is still amazing but viewers want every season to live up the the thrill/ enjoyment of watching it the first time. After a few seasons viewers become familiar with the intricacies of the show and might give the show too hard a time for not blowing them away. You usually find this with people who watch the series in weekly installments and annual seasons, as opposed to people who watch the series in one sitting on DVD or Netflix.

On the other hand, maybe the show got changed up by people, either by those who legitimately tried to mix up the formula, or by executive meddlers who attempt to exceed earlier successes and end up trying to wring blood from a stone. This is called Seasonal Rot.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeasonalRot

17. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    9 seasons is about the max a show can last before it starts to feel completely recycled for me. Especially for sitcoms and cartoons which don't feature any sort of main story arch.

An extreme example of a show that is way past its prime is The Simpsons. Where as initially The Simpsons was an excellent commentary on the modern American family and pop culture - now it is just a caricature of itself and other popular cartoons such as Family Guy. Every once in a while it may manage to elicit a sad chuckle - but even David Spade's Sammy managed a few of them, and it only lasted the Pilot episode... :p

I know Twin Peaks - but I have only seen the movie (planning on watching the series after I finish catching up on Fringe). David Lynch is excellent - can't wait to have the time to sit down and watch Inland Empire.

18. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Oh dear. The Twin Peaks movie is absolutely terrible. It doesn't even come close to the amazingness of the show.

19. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    The Simpsons.

20. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    HIMYM is a decent series, nothing more. It wasn't more when it started either, and for me, all the seasons are on the same quality level, with the exception of S3 and S4, which were weaker.
    Why is it only decent? Because it's nothing original, really. Most of it had been done before it, probably better. To me, the truly great shows are the ones that have something really unique about them (that's why, right now, Community is no doubt the best sitcom out there). :>

If my grammar really sucked here, it's 'cause I'm barely awake at the moment. >.<