The best television series ever.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Kartel, Jul 22, 2011.

1. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you watched the show right?? HIMYM is quite unique. I have not watched a show with a final end goal before, being told from the future. The future telling also allows the story changes when he hides things from his kids and also the mistakes in the stories when he doesn't know or forgets. It also is connecting rveything together for the end goal which may be done in dramas but comedies rarely venture into this area. And then after all the it's still funny with great characters.

So state that you don't enjoy it which is your opinion which is fine by me. People like different things. But don't say something like it's not different when it is very different from most sitcoms.

2. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I just remembered another series I loved - Northern Exposure. They only released the first season in DVD here in Italy - how lame is that? I though about buying the full series from UK, but without any sort of subtitles, it would be a little tough for me.

3. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    They appear in some episodes, but the most are just the regular "friend hanging out" stuff, which we've seen in hundreds of shows before. The finding mother stuff really is the end goal, but that has litle to nothing to do with the story of most of the episodes. Maybe a hint or two in haf of them, but they very rarely contribute to that part of the story.
    It has some original ideas, but not nearly as many as the the best sitcoms out there.

Why would I say that I don't enjoy it? It's some good, mindless fun. Pretty much what I need during the week, after school.

4. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    This is OT but relevant. Starting tomorrow the entire Mad Men series is going to be on Netflix Instant Watch. Looks like I'll finally get to watch this.

5. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
  6. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    No House MD fans here? It has some brilliant soap elements and interesting medical mysteries to boot. Extremely likeable jerk protagonists are always fun. That and Dexter are my two favourite shows... I watch a lot of what's mentioned here though and like quite a few of them.

Avtaar the Last Airbender is an awesome animated show with a great concept. Wish they hadn't made it so "kiddish" though. It's great. But could have been a lot better. And M Night Shyamlan ruined it in the movie.

7. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I like House but every episode is always the same. First they start out with the misdirection opening, making you think someone is sick then all of a sudden somebody else collapses. Second they usually diagnose the patient with some rare disease then the patient worsens and they realize it's not that. Third they rule out a bunch of stuff and wind up putting the patient on some weird treatment that nearly kills them usually going against the ruling of Dr. Cuddy. Fourth someone says something offhand to House which triggers an epiphany allowing him to know exactly what's wrong with the patient and cures them. The acting is great and the relationships between the characters are great but as a hospital procedural show it's way too predictable.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Who's watched Suits? The show just started at the end of last month, and episode 6 came out only today. Terrific series thus far.

9. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    I really enjoyed Reaper on the CW a few years ago. I mean, how can you beat a story about a loser 21 year old and his friends having to capture escaped souls from Hell for the devil?
    It was like a hilarious spoof on ghostbusters.

Also, HIMYM. It's pretty great too.

10. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Does anyone here like Entourage?

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Psych, aside from being somewhat formulaic, is probably what I'd consider the perfect show, right next to HIMYM. Both have amazing writers, but like every show, they always slip up from time to time.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Seriously guys, watch Suits. There's only 6 episodes so far. You won't even have to invest a huge amount of time if it turns out you do like it. Hate to say it, but it's better than HIMYM. Got a new favorite.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYUQKm2nZNE

The first episode is about 75 minutes; the others top out at 45 minutes.

13. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Better than HIMYM? I don't think you can really compare a sitcom and a drama.
    And is it really worth checking out? Is it that much better than the tons of other legal dramas out there?

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #94 backtothis, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    I'd say so. It really isn't much of a drama. It aims for comedy over seriousness too many times to make it one. If you've never been interested in shows on the genre, this is a good place to start. That's for sure.

15. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Watching it now whilst we have visitors.

Phoenix Nights ftw.

16. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Hmm, sounds good, then. I'll check it out soon. Thanks for the tip. :)

17. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Best Television Series? South Park. Even Balu` agrees. :rolleyes:

18. Spamcan

#98 Spamcan, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    South Park used to be great, now they have one great episode every half-season and the rest varie in quality. That's still a better track record then The Simpsons has had in the past decade but I wouldn't put it in my top three favorite currently airing cartoons.

Those would be The Venture Brothers, Ugly Americans and Futurama.

19. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I was more or less poking fun at Balu`, he hate's South Park with a passion.

On subject though, Futurama and South Park are my favourite Comedies of all time. I can seriously rerun the older episodes over and over and never get tired of them.

20. Spamcan

I could see someone hating South Park, sometimes it's overly political and sometimes it's just plain stupid. The quickness of it's production does lend toward it being defined by the current news cycle in a way that's often very pretentious.

Personally I loathe Family Guy and it's horrible spinoffs with a passion usually reserved for genocidal war criminals.