Universal The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (by Nicalis, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'd love to hear veterans of Isaac opinions on how the controls feel. I've never played the game before this and I feel the controls are serviceable but they definitely seem to take some getting used to and maybe more like "training" to use them/feel how they respond. To be decent at this game with the touch controls, I'm sort of thinking this is not a game you can pick up for a 10 minute play and then put down and try again some days later . Rather, to know the feel of the controls I think you need to keep at it.

Any veterans out there, how do you feel playing with the touch interface? Are you just as competitive as ever? Or does touch screen take a toll?

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Agreed with the subjective matter. It's worth for me too, and I play on an SE, so I guess on the 7 it'll be... Bigger. And bigger is better, right? :D

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I think I'll definitely pick this up.
    But my PS Plus renewal dropped today so maybe next week #
    I'm seeing tons of positivity on this thread, and I love a good roguelike

4. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    What an coincidence, bought an 100€ itunes card with 20% off today!#

Seems like Isaac is coming home for free baby!!!##✌️

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    That's the problem. Nothing happens when I walk over the item. For instance, there's an item with the value $5 on the floor, I put $5 in the vendor machine, and I can't pick it up when I walk over the item. Tried on multiple occasions, no go.

Maybe it's a bug...

As for the other point, I understand that the player have to figure some stuff out for themselves, but at the very least, they could've give a name to the item in the possession screen, just to give a clue, instead of forcing the player to remember what each of maybe hundreds of items do...

6. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    You probably haven't unlocked the items yet. 25 coins total on machine unlock items level 1(at least I think).

About items, on my last run I eat twice a pill that decreased my health. Lol

That's the whole point. Some items mess you up. Not everything is for the better.

7. JimmyFF

JimmyFF Active Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Took one run to get used to the controls. Unlocked first ending (epilogue) on second run, second ending on third run and two more endings since. The controls are as good as can be on a touch screen. Amazing port. Amazing game!

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This is a good video for those wondering about the amount of content in Isaac. Also, for those asking "What's so special?" about Isaac compared to other dual stick shooters, this video gives you a good idea of the breadth of different items and how they can interact with each other as well as all the hidden and additional content in the game. Just the sheer number of ways you can combine different items for various types of results puts this way above your average dual stick shooter. Also it's nice it's only 8 minutes long and covers a lot of things compared to many of the let's plays which are sometimes 30min to an hour or more.

Spoilers, obviously, but nothing major IMO.

9. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    Ummmm the vending machine stores coins you can withdrawl like an atm with bombs as it keeps the amount you put in each run. The more coins more items come avail. Now if you cant pick the item up you either dont have a power up that requires a battery to fill up the meter or its full already. You need to have the money on you and not the machine to buy it also.

10. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    That is how the game had always been. It would be too easy to know what everything is unless you sink time into it. Now as i said in a shop of you have the money on you dont deposit it walk over item to buy it. If you put money in machine first that could be the problem. Also read the post above this one.

11. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Sorry for asking this again but did they lower the difficulty to make up for the touch screen controls?

I played this years ago on Steam and remember it being pretty brutal difficulty wise especially on hard mode, I'm afraid with touchscreen controls it might be too challenging for my taste.
    I really want to know, thanks in advance.

12. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    this game is so fun i'm officially addicted this is the only game i been playing all day since yesterday and i still have a lot of other games to play but this takes all of my time. it's fun discovering all the secrets, easter eggs, and what items do and how they change your appearance it's really amazing :) love the seeds code you can use as well and make almost anything you want happen

13. kaelendiaz

kaelendiaz Member

Nov 21, 2016
    I'be been playing issac since rebirth released and the controls are fine. It just takes some time getting used to. I've already killed moms heart without a controller. Controls weren't a problem

Attached Files:

14. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Beat mother for the first time! Have my first two characters unlocked. I'm having such a blast!

But: I cannot get to activate / see the prologue!?

15. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I see.
    Thank you for your (and others) explanations on the subject. ##

16. toofinedog

toofinedog Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2013
    So BoI or the other five MM mobile games I didn't get? Decisions...

17. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    #217 bossjaja, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    You can't always buy certain items. For example, if you don't have an active item, you can't buy a battery, if you have full HP, you can't buy a heart, etc.

The original flash version is definitely more difficult than Rebirth (IMO, it's mostly because the game was in flash, the game speed varied too much, and it wasn't as finely tuned). Rebirth is decently hard, but you should be fine if you take a bit to get used to the controls.

Basically, I'd rate the original flash version a 8/10 for difficulty, and Rebirth is probably at like a 5 or 6 depending on your skill level and familiarity with the game.

I've played more Isaac than one person probably ever should, and I think the controls are fantastic. Keep in mind though, that they will never be as good as a physical controller. Considering that we're playing on a touch screen, they're great. As for "training", I've played for like 2-3 hours so far, and I feel like I'm about 90% as good as I am with a physical controller. That'll probably tighten up as I play more, but they really aren't too hard to get used to.

However, I'd really like to see some sensitivity options & an option to just tap anywhere on the gamepad to have isaac immediately start moving or shooting in that direction. It's pretty common that you'll need to just tap the movement button to quickly dodge a shot, and that's difficult when you have to tap the center of the control pad, then drag.

Bottom line: They're good.

18. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I seem to get much better battery life settting Gamma to 100. I also turned active cam and music /SFX off but I don't think this was responsible for the change. The device now just gets alittle warm in the corner where the CPU is and that's it. Previously the whole device would get warm/hot. This is on an iPhone 6.

Also I don't know if it's actually making a difference, but it seems to get slightly less warm in portrait mode but this could of just been a coincidence.

I also have device brightness at ~15%.

19. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    #219 ItouchBrett, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    My post from earlier. Veteran Isaac player over 1000 hours

20. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Does anyone else find it's easier to control in potrait mode?