The confused and dazed Mr. pinkandpurple needs help

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pinkandpurple, May 19, 2011.

1. pinkandpurple

pinkandpurple Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    OH

Well, This is what I am thinking in that Ibooks is not very good for sales and these type of product are better directly uploaded from your Apple account.

But I really do not know how to convert an ebook or .PDF into an app.

2. Mivo

Mivo Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Germany
    #42 Mivo, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
    I don't have statistics, so I don't really know, but for me personally, when I look for an actual book, I use iBooks. The advantage is that you get an actual e-book in epub format, so it's not dependent on an iOS device, but could also be used on an other e-book reader. But I read and buy quite a few books, so I don't know if my take on this is common.

It probably depends on the content, too. A guide for a game, for example, should probably go in the AppStore. Actual literature, like a novel, fits better into iBooks.

You need to write an app that displays the content. If you have the content, but not the software, you could maybe contact one of the people who sell these guides and ask them for information or offer a possible partnership. The content is the harder part, the software "wrapper" is easier. (But you have to program it and need a developer license.)

Edit: Actually, there may be some kind of software available. I think what you're looking for is similar to this (but it is for Android). Then you'd only need an authoring system for creating e-books, and those are available for free or at a low price.

3. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    #43 pinkandpurple, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
    Um

Yes I think your right with those categories and I will have to keep an eye out for possible software.
    Ebooks are pretty easy.

4. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    stickers?

Oh

Sorry to bring the thread up again.

I was just pondering if you had artwork in an app for people to print off or to make stickers from is it still PNG format?

5. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    #45 pinkandpurple, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
    Enhance ebook to accept in store?

UM

Would app store accept a couple of pages of game rules with a couple of artwork pages where people can print off the art and use the artwork to make the game?

IF not UM I hope someone can think of some ways to add to that to be accepted.

Many thanks

6. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    #46 pinkandpurple, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
    I would like to update this post and ask how on one hand um that you sell a paid ebook guide app on Iphone etc., and on the other you have to put it on Android store free?

I am um guessing that you put ads with the free app on Android?
    Many thanks

7. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Um

I am just pondering also, is Appbrain the best ads to use for Android apps?

Many thanks

8. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Finger drawing apps UM cheap?

UM

Do you think it is cheap cost for a developer to make one of those finger drawing apps? where you can erase and store what you drew or wrote etc?

9. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    We made a painter software few years ago called VsPainter for the Windows Phone plateform. It was a quite success thanks to the stylet.

We try several time to port VsPainter to iPhone/ iPad but after many try and test, the feeling isn't the same as the stylet and we put on hold the app until a miracle from Apple.

Of course, some guy draw pretty cool art with the iPad but is really hard and...different.

When you ask to an artist to draw with a finger, he will say it's fun but hard to use.

10. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Well
    Um

There look quite a lot of these in the app store.

My idea is not the same as all these though luckily.

11. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Registering game name?

Oh

I need to um, register a game name before I can get the money to get it made.
    Can I do this and also do this before paying Apple the 99 cents a year fee to sell apps?

IT is very UM difficult to get all these things together when you don't have a lot of finance.

12. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Icon

UM

Is there also a certain size for the game icon?

13. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Register as a developer to apple and you get access to alot of documentation that will answere most of your um um um um um um um questions..

Not to discourage you but you need a couple thousand $ to get a small app running since you nedd to outsource everything from code,art, sound etc.

So whats the point of all your threads...? If you cant find information on the most basic things iOS yourself, you might want to consider if its even a good idea to become just another "dev"

If you have no knowledge whatsoever about the ios marketplace whats make you think you will have even the slightest chance to survive it?

My advice, save the money , buy yourself something nice, play the lottery but dont throw it away with an uneducated atempt of making an iOS app/game/whatever

14. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    Mr Ugly make some points...questions such as the size of the icons are basic questions, such information can be found easily in the documentation that Apple provides.

But ... never discourage someone motivated is my advice.

if you never try, you'll never know. if you really want to release a app and spend some extra money then, do it.

Before all that, you need to be aware and you need to read a lot lot more of documentation and be sure if you can do it all by your own.

15. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Mr. Ugly is good at delivering his version of the truth packed in venom. Most of the time he delivers good advice though, if you can look through his apparent hostility towards the world at large. I agree with him that you shouldn’t throw your money “away with an uneducated attempt of making an iOS app/game/whatever”. That is to say, if you believe you can start from scratch with no knowledge thinking you can make a lot of money you are probably better off doing something else.

That might of course not be describing your situation, but your questions indicates that you are somehow starting in the wrong end. The title of the game might be important, but it is hard to understand why it is important at this stage. Especially important enough that you have to register it. Also the size of the icons aren’t particularly important before you make the game. As Vetasoft states this is information clearly stated by Apple and is not all that important before your game approaches a finished state.

If you gave us a few more details, what your plans are: learning to program vs. outsourcing, your level of knowledge, budget(?), size of the project, etc. it would make it easier for people to give you good relevant information…

16. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    OH,

Right,

Well UM I just hire people UM

but

I have not applied with a first game or app UM yet

My projets to start with are not UM, that large at all.:cool:

17. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    you should name your game "UM" :D

18. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    OH

Thats a good idea UM

OR perhaps name it Mr Umgly?:D

19. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    the sentences are alot more readable without all the "um" stuff.. whatever they are there for in the first place..

as for "venom".. i was so polite in this case falk, maybe you guys just don't read to much aggression into a few words.. try to imagine me running through a field of flowers, jumping with joy while writing this.. maybe you'd interpret them then a bit more softer..

as for your "hire" mrs. UM.

Make an contract and always ask for an invoice if the company/individual who does your job.

never hire someone by hour but make a deal on the complete project.
    since you can't track the hours and you play the naiv um thing chances are high you catch one of thoose devs who try to milk their customers as long as possible.

20. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    Dude please… I'm gonna take a beer right now