iPhone The Creeps! HD

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RegularStormy, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    So it never get updated?

I was browsing my wish list and wondered why it was here so checked the thread. In fact still don't know except that because of of the problems not yet fixed I'll skip this one.

2. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    I have also been waiting for this to update before buying. I was one of the first to pick the game up for iPhone played it more than any other T.D. game on ios. I understand from reading the thread that the developer is kinda in the thick of things right now. I am sure there are plenty of others like you and I who are waiting in the wings for a good reason to pick this game up again. Even a 99c sale might be a concession enough to make some of us in the meantime. This is a game which is worthy of some love, I for one hope this isn't the end of the creeps.
    On a side note it would be good if we could have a couple of maps with moveable turrets- this seems to be the new kick with TD, adding another layer of strategy. It would be a marriage made in heaven to have it in The Creeps.

3. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    FWIW, it works well for me. I always want more maps, billet I am happy with my purchase.

4. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Aside from bug fixing to make things work, I don't see why people demand updates with new content, especially for free. Don't get me wrong, I love it when developers do update their apps with free content, but you can't expect that will last forever. People should buy apps based on what you're getting now, not on what you hope to get. It leads to less disappointment and over-expectation.

If you don't feel you're getting enough for the app, then don't buy it.

5. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Myself I don't remember why I added it in my wish list, read the thread didn't help me remind, apart graphics you could enjoy or not, I don't see. It seems a rather common TD and there are so many. That said I can admit graphics and basic appeal is important. But all levels with fixed path, no real special features apart the battery system. I hesitated but I removed it from my wish list because of the lack of fix and lack of some features when to compared to some other but I was close to let it because of the graphics. I hope when the fix update will be out that I'll noticed it again.
    I think it's a difficult approach. You could try Knight Defense HD to see an example. Great game, but won't appeal from everybody because of abstraction and lack of graphic qualities. There's a free demo version I haven't tried.

You'll see that if first level could be played with the idea of a TD where you can move stuff, as levels go on (not sure the demo have enough levels to show it) it become hectic and be able to move end in create an action that don't feel at all like a TD but great fun anyway.

@mrkgoo: Nobody here whine for new free map and stuffs. I can understand your comment but it's not really relevant here. Also some games you pay don't have that many features like not many levels and so on and could generate such free wish, mainly because it's easy to forget how cheap you paid you just remember you paid it.

6. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    I guess it's not for everyone. I love the weapons and the piggy-bank in this game.

7. LadyNeddy

LadyNeddy Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I enjoy this game! It's the first TD i played with...and love the graphics

8. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Now this is just unfair. The iPad version is more expensive but the iPhone version just got updated with free content: level packs #4, #5, #6 and a free level. There's also a new Battery that adds power to the towers. Why did the cheaper version get the first service. :mad:

9. mlkaufman

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Maybe because he sells 1000 times more copies of the iPhone version then the iPad version.

Personally, I have them both, so I don't really care which order he updates them in.

10. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Nice logic. So, if BMW sells more of their cheaper 3-series, then perhaps they should have utilized their beefiest engines in there. Now I'm wondering why didn't they.

11. mlkaufman

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    #51 mlkaufman, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    You misunderstand. Completely. I will try to simplify.

1) If an update is going to give him a 10% bump in sales, he is better off getting 1000 more sales at $2 then 100 more sales at $4.

2) If he releases a 99 DLC, he will probably sell more copies of DLC for the version that has 10000 users then the one that has 1000 users.

3) If an update is done to make a user base happy, he is going to make more people happy if he updates the version that has 10000 customers then the one that has 1000 customers.

These numbers are obviously made up (I have no idea what his acutal sales are, or how many new sales an update generates) but are just to illustrate my point.

By the way, your analogy about cars makes no sense at all. BMW doesn't release a free update to their car for their existing buyers, and if they did put a more powerful engine in their cheaper cars and sell if for the same price as before, lots more people would buy the cheaper one and they would make less money.

And, in case you really don't understand why they don't do it, its because putting a more powerful engine in a cheaper car while keeping the same price would kill their profit margins.

Are we clear now?

12. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    #52 seyoon, Aug 28, 2010
    Yes I know your point. But I am peeved why price iPad apps higher when you'll know you won't be giving priority to that in the first place. Oh wait, I know, to squeeze in a little bit more money. You and I both know that the iPhone user base is bigger and the devs can make more money out of them. That means DLCs and updates, they'll get priority. So do explain to me why price your iPad apps higher when they'll just be the red haired kid of the family? Because iPads have less user base? Because iPads are more expensive hardware wise? Because devs can squeeze a little bit more $$ aside from what they're making from the iPhone apps. Screw the iPad users, let's take care of the iPhone market.

Now THAT is why BMW doesn't do that. You misread my post. It was a sarcastic attempt in responding to your theory.

13. mlkaufman

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    All of those reasons are true, but the most important reason is that prices are higher because consumers have shown that they are willing to pay higher prices. Maybe that will change one day, but for now, people have shown that they are willing to pay more for iPad games.

If you are buying more expensive iPad apps because you think that developers are going to pay more attention to them in the future because they are more expensive, then now is the time to stop.

Personally, I pay more for iPad games, because of the increased value due to the larger screen, or because (in many cases) I would have paid more for the iPhone version as well.

I understood that you were trying to be sarcastic, I was just pointing out that your analogy made no sense. I was explaining why someone did something (because it made them more money), and you responded with a sarcastic example of a way someone could do something vaguely similar that would lose them money. It made no more sense that if you had said, "Then why don't egg farmers sell 13 eggs to a dozen."

14. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Marketing 101, when you're making a product, you are professionally responsible in making sure you give fair treatment to the customers of your products. If Apple is in the business of making Macs and iPods, they give equal services for the rich execs who owns Mac Pros and the teens who owns Nanos. That's professional responsibility.

I don't really want to argue with you, it's becoming pointless. If you want to defend the devs who give priorities to their iPhone user-base because of their greater numbers, then that's your call. Business is all about making loads of cash anyway, right? I understand your point but unfortunately we have different professional business ethics. Good luck.

15. mlkaufman

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Now I see where we part company. If we were talking about fixing bugs, I would completely agree with you. Then the developer's responsibility to his larger iPhone user base would be balanced by his responsibility to his more heavily invested iPad users.

But, apparently, your ethics make you feel that after paying $4 for a game, you have a right to free updates and developer attention for as long as you want it.

I disagree.

You saw a game on the app store. It had a certain amount of functionality and it cost a certain amount of money. You freely entered into a contract to buy it. You are entitled to a app that perfoms as advertised, the developer is entitled to $4 (well, $2.80 after Apples cut). The developer hasn't promised you anything more and he doesn't owe you anything more. Your complaints about getting more stuff just makes you greedy, it doesn't make him unethical.

I would love to have you try to articulate the ethics you are so proud of that you think makes you entitled to anything else, just because you want it. Good luck with that.

16. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    #56 Qordobo, Aug 28, 2010
    I can understand the two point of view, a first one:
    • It's not a separate market but a single one enveloping iPhone and iPad versions. It's like if Echalon Book 2 released for PC/Mac would give more features to PC version forgetting Mac version.
    • Why developers release a more or less similar version on iPad at twice the price, not to mention it's often only a rather quick port.
    • Many iPad players have also an iPod or an iPhone (not me). When they choose to buy the iPad version they didn't expected that few months later it will have less features than the iPhone version they could have buy.
    • From a player point of view, this could be naive but it could make you wonder why you paid the deluxe version to receive the low budget services few month later.

But it's a matter of point of view to see it in a different way:
    • For the price, you had the choice, you could have bought the iphone version but choose the iPad version, iPad can run both. So you made your choice, that's all, I doubt any developer let think they'll support closely and faster the iPad version.
    • Please to more people or please to less people with a bit more money, where is the ethic?
    • The deluxe version isn't the iPad version but the iPhone. It's like if you take an order of 1000 units at 4$ and an order of 10000 units at 2$ knowing that each additional unit won't really cost you more. When you do the work to fulfill the order, the cheap work is for the order of 1000 units ie the iPad version.
    • Considering the iPad version is just a quick adaptation from the iPhone is to consider it as a secondary version and in no way you should expect get first updates or free bonus on it.

My feeling is that iPad market is relatively restricted and suffer of a direct concurrence from any iPhone game that can be played on iPad. What made great the iPad at its beginning, the ability to play the ton of iPhone game already available, is going to give it a rude path because of this concurrence.

I made my choices on this base:
    • When I buy a game, iPad but also iPhone, I don't buy in a state where I expect more features. If it has too many bugs, not enough levels/features, no AI for single player, an hypothetic universal version I expect but it hasn't yet, then I don't buy the game until it has the features I expect. In that way I reduce a lot the risk to be disappointed by a slower update of an iPad version.
    • I try buy almost only iPad games because it's how I prefer. But if I buy an iPhone version it's knowing that later an iPad version could be released and not universal.
    • I don't survey closely iPhone versions of iPad games I have. And I know that how is the tendency, that I should not wait and expect a new feature released for iPhone version for an iPad version I have. Anyway I don't stick to games forever and like switch to new games, and the igame market is perfect for such approach.

EDIT: About the price vs the service returned, if it was a matter of unit price then you'll get a service of 2$ more than the iPhone version, ie close to no service. That shows clearly that the number of units sold is the only significant key. If it was 500$ for one and 5000$ for another that would have been a totally different matter.

17. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Any right-thinking person sides with mlkaufman on this non-issue.

18. hollowman

hollowman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Singapore
    This game, and Filght Control HD, are 2 of the few reasons why i want an iPad so badly...

But the iPad is ridiculously expensive where i live :(

19. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    #59 WilliamG, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    I'm actually frustrated with The Creeps HD, and have been ever since it was released and I bought it. The iPad version is clearly more of an "afterthought," and since the game looks nowhere near as good as the first post of this thread would make you believe, I think someone should edit the thread and post REAL screen shots.
    :mad:

**EDIT**

Since nobody else has, I did it..

Here's what the developers say it looks like:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's what it ACTUALLY looks like:

[​IMG]

So....

As you can see, the backgrounds are low res and ugly. The way it stands, I think anyone who was misled into buying the iPad version deserves a refund, me included.

20. hollowman

hollowman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Singapore
    interesting fact there, WilliamG!!