iPhone The Creeps! HD

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RegularStormy, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Deleting the iPhone version from your iPad will NOT re-lock the levels in The Creeps! HD. Thanks for playing! I'm hard at work on the next update already.

By the way, the next update (including new levels!) will be free of charge :D

2. MusicAddictz

MusicAddictz Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Student
    US
    I have a problem with There and Back level on my iPad. About wave 34 or 35 I don't remember, 2 mummy will appear only 2 or 3 steps away from the door and I can't see anyway to defend to that :(. I tried to search for some walkthroughs and don't see those mummies in those w/t.how can I get past that level??

3. :eek:
    That's a bug that snuck in to the update. I've already got a fix for it. It will be back to normal in the next update! I'm really mad that I didn't catch it. Sorry for the inconvenience! It will be fixed soon!!

4. MusicAddictz

MusicAddictz Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Student
    US
    Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for letting me know I'm not the worst player on that level LOL

5. #125 RegularStormy, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    **EDIT: The Halloween promotion is over, they are now back to full price.

The Creeps! HD (and The Creeps!) are FREE through Halloween!

6. MusicAddictz

MusicAddictz Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Student
    US
    I bought it full price and now it's free!! Urg!! Btw, u guys should make all the extras and classic levels available on game center :D. I think it would be great!!

7. Inked

Inked Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Red Rover level, I get to the last wave (25) and have the full 10 under the bed when suddenly the bed jumps and the number drops to 7. No creeps anywhere nearby. Played 3 times on easy and medium and it happens every time.

On an unrelated note, the 4th of July levels are my favorite. The firework explosions are great! Any chance of getting endurance or doorbuster levels for that pack? I have played the few levels to death.

8. Raymond23

Raymond23 Member

May 31, 2010
    Hello.

Really REALLY mad that I have made some in-app purchases in the past, and now I have to pay an extra $6 for the all-access pass (so I am getting double charged). Slap in the face for users that have actually supported you in the past getting double billed.

Bad move. Delete. Thanks for nothing.

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    if you already have previous purchases why do you feel you need to buy the complete package? .. you can still buy the single dlcs ?

10. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    The all-access pass also grants you access to future DLC packs, so it really is a good deal especially if you want to support the developer, who has been doing a better job than anyone else supporting a more than a year old game. The iphone version has been out for almost three years and the developer is still adding new content, most of it paid DLC but there have been some free content updates, so give this developer some credit.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I too had prior content, and bought the all- access pass without too much hesitation - maybe a bit. I got my first iPhone in June 2009, and the first game that went on was the free stick wars, the Doodle Jump, then The Creeps. The Creeps has never left any of my idevices, is on my kids since we share an account, and with all the updates, help, fixes, etc. Regular Stormy gets my money. He / they have not always been super prompt, but the fixes get done, the supports been there, and the new content comes along. There are a few developers that do this, but only a few.
    As mentioned, the content is accessible on both iPad and iPhones, and ncludes future content. Additionally, because the iPhone and iPad apps are separate, RS could have made it so you HAD to purchase separate DLC for iPad and iPhone. RS provided a work around.
    Yeah, it bites paying for stuff twice, but once you have purchased thousands of apps, and realize so much of its crap ( the whole - its only a buck thing makes it really easy to just try something, realize its junk, but hey - it's only a buck) you will come to realize its worth puttung a few dollars into something that has stood the test of time. Something to consider anyhow. It's all business, and if the IAP doesnt generate revenues, maybe he'll lower the price - you can always just wait and watch. For me, I'm happy to help them earn a bit more and hopefully keep them able to continue to support The Creeps, and continue to add new content to it.

12. #132 RegularStormy, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    I'm doing my best to make a good game. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please get a refund from Apple. I won't take it personally.

If I've learned anything from being a developer, it's that no matter what, you can't make everyone happy. The more you TRY to make everyone happy, the more people you upset. Let me give you some examples: (Theres a TLDR synopsis at the bottom if you don't want to read the giant wall of text)

1. Back before Game Center, I updated The Creeps! to use Agon. Agon was like OpenFeint, except I liked it better. With it, you got free high scores and achievements offline and online. You just had to pick a name. No personal info, no email required, no real name required, no advertising. This was a free update. How awesome is that? Well, it turns out people got very angry. How dare they have to pick a name! Agon must have purchased the game, we sold out! Wait... huh? Well, I worked with Agon directly and they added a feature to allow you to play offline without picking a name. Of course then Game Center came along and put them out of business :/. You added free online high scores and achievement? HOW DARE YOU

2. I made a separate Holiday Edition of the Creeps! It had retina graphics before the original did (it takes a lot of time to fix up the old art from the original levels, it was created before retina displays existed!). People loved it, but I got a ton of email from people complaining that they didn't like having two apps installed. I was confused, lots of games do this kind of thing. Well, ok, I want people to be happy so I spent a lot of time porting the holiday levels to the original game so people would have the option of having a single app. That made people mad too. They already paid for the holiday edition but would rather have one app so now they have to buy the level pack again! Ugh. Ok, so I put in the workaround so if the holiday version is on the same device it unlocks the levels in the original. But not everyone knows about that, so people still get upset. I'm sorry, it's not officially supported by Apple, its the best I can do right now! And its hard to explain to people too. (I'm currently working on adding iCloud support to help with this, but then only iOS 5 users can take advantage of it so anyone with older devices will still be mad).

2b. I added the St. Patrick's day levels to the holiday edition for free. So now the holiday edition and the original both have the Valentine's day and St Patricks day levels. $2 for the holiday edition separately or $1 each for level packs in the original so it's totally fair. But now I want to add a new holiday (Easter). It costs money to make these level packs and keep the game up to date, so I can't make everything free. But if I add Easter to the holiday edition for free and charge in the original that would be unfair to people who want all the levels in the original. So I added it to both as optional DLC to keep it fair (the usual $1). Now people are mad again. How dare I charge money for a holiday themed level pack! Wait, what? The original and the holiday edition both came with about the same number of included levels. Both have DLC for optional extras if you want more. But because it's called "holiday edition", meaning the levels are all holiday themed then people assume all updates forever are free. WHAT? I NEVER promised any such thing!! And then it all became clear. ANGRY BIRDS. Yes, Angry Birds Seasons is a holiday themed version of Angry Birds and puts out free updates. Therefore, since the holiday version of the single most profitable game on the app store EVER gives free updates, then that means it's a LAW or something that every other developer, big or small, with a holiday themed game MUST provide free updates for life. Wow. People are mad at me trying to get $.99 for like 4 months of work because of ANGRY BIRDS. Work hard to make extra content and charge MONEY for it? HOW DARE YOU!

3. I made an HD version of The Creeps! back when the iPad came out. At the time, developers weren't sure how different the iPad version should be. I thought that most of the people who buy my HD version probably already own the iPhone version, so I decided to make ALL NEW CONTENT. Bigger maps that took advantage of the bigger screen. A new battery tower. OUTRAGE. Well, I chose poorly. It turns out that the standard became "iPad version should be identical, but with better graphics". I'm the only programmer, so updating both versions separately was just too much work for me to keep up with... so the iPad version fell behind. I've now updated the iPad version to have both the iPhone levels and the HD levels (and it will never fall behind again)... and now I get complaints from people who already played the iphone levels in the original and are mad that they have already played all the new levels that got added to the HD version. I added a ton of levels for free, and people complain. All new content, people get mad. Add the original content they complained was missing? They get mad again. I can't win.

4. If I ever have a sale or free promotion, people get very mad. Someone who purchased the game, got hours of fun out of it, and gave it a glowing 5 star review suddenly turn on you. You had a sale?! But I paid FULL PRICE!! (which is less than a cheeseburger BTW) ONE STAR REVIEW!! I HATE YOU!! DELETED!! Wow, really? So up until you found out there was a sale, you were very happy, enjoying the game and felt like you got your money's worth. But when I put it on sale, suddenly I've betrayed you, ripped you off? The people who got it on sale are happy, those who missed the sale are mad. Can't please everyone.

5. Did you know, The Creeps! launched on Christmas Eve 2008? It's almost 3 years old! I should celebrate with a sale! Wait, that will make people ANGRY (see #4 above). Over the last almost 3 years, lots of free levels have been added, but lots of paid level packs have been added too. Players wanted more levels, so I worked hard to add more. For long time players, you see things added slowly over time and probably realize that it takes a lot of time and effort and money to make them. But people who buy it today and have never seen it before open it up and see a ton of levels waiting to be purchased. HOW DARE YOU?! I PAID FULL PRICE WHY DON'T I GET ALL THE LEVELS!!! Long time customers happy with new content, new customers ANGRY

6. How do I make new customers happy? How about giving a discounted package deal on ALL the level packs?! The ALL ACCESS PASS. OUTRAGE!! Some new customers STILL angry that they didn't get all the levels included. Other new customers HAPPY that they can get a deal on all the level packs! Existing customers that were on the fence about DLC and never purchased level packs before? HAPPY! Existing customers that have gotten previous level packs ANGRY! How dare I reward loyal customers by making a package deal that they HAVE TO BUY (you know you don't HAVE to buy ANYTHING right? You can still get each level pack individually for the cheapest price Apple allows, right?) and therefore get double charged! Wow, no win here either.

So after three years my final conclusion is this: I will keep trying to make a good product and hopefully people will like it. I can't make everyone happy. If someone is unhappy, that sucks because I want people to enjoy my game... but they are always welcome to get a refund from Apple.

TLDR VERSION!
    1. Added FREE online high scores and achievements. PEOPLE ANGRY
    2. Two separate versions? PEOPLE ANGRY. Charge money for level pack? OK. If that level pack is holiday themed? PEOPLE ANGRY
    2b. Holiday themed game without free updates for life? PEOPLE ANGRY
    3. HD version with all new content? PEOPLE ANGRY. Add the iPhone content for free? PEOPLE ANGRY
    4. Have a sale? PEOPLE ANGRY
    5. Have optional DLC? PEOPLE ANGRY
    6. Add a discounted package deal? PEOPLE ANGRY

13. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I'm really enjoying the new pumpkin tower, this is one of the only types of towers I really thought this game was missing but not anymore. ;)

Are there plans for anymore holiday levels soon since we are heading into the holiday season?

14. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I think your use of IAP is fine. I also don't see any problem with how the different versions work.

15. MusicAddictz

MusicAddictz Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Student
    US
    No problem w/ IAP even though I don't like them either BUT since I got a lot of levels back, I think I'm happy to purchase (I did!). Just please make all the levels available on game center for iPad like iPhone version :D.

16. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    I have had a moan in this thread. Nothing about the IAP or anything. I don't have a problem with that. I think the price is great and the quality and quantity of it is always top notch.

All I was bugged about was the fact that the work around with the iPhone and iPad versions could have been mentioned earlier as you would have obviously known about it.
    Before people pounce and say that I am one of those people that want everything for nothing, I am not. I spend lots on the App Store all the time and try and support developers. I have bought every single piece of DLC for the creeps in the standard version and the holiday version.
    Recently got an iPad and bought the HD version too. When the update hit I paid the £3.99 to unlock everything and so did the missus then after that, the work around was discussed on here. You would have known about the work around before the update hit and would have been great if you could have mentioned it bit earlier.

Other than that I love this game and the support you have been giving it. It is always one that I keep going back to.

I understand that it must be frustrating with the work you put in and then people moan and get upset no matter what you do but people come on here and praise the game too which must be great to read. It's not really fair to moan about people being angry though. Everyone has a right to an opinion whether it is good or bad (In your eyes) and they express it here and it should be ok to do so.

17. The HD version does use Game Center, but once again I've run into Apple limitations. Apple only allows 25 high scoreboards in Game Center. I have way too many levels to do that now, even if I have one per level pack and game type. Another Apple limitation: You can NEVER delete a scoreboard after it goes live. This is probably to support people who have an older version of the game. The Creeps! HD has to put all the iPhone levels into one scoreboard per game type because it already used up the rest of its allotment for scoreboards by making individual scoreboards per original HD level. Even the original Creeps! is out of scoreboards and the Halloween level pack doesn't have it's own scoreboards. Its a bummer, but there's nothing I can do. Maybe Apple will change it in the future?

I could put it in the description, but almost nobody reads it. And the instructions are kind of long. I could put it in the help inside the game, but people don't look there either. Yes, SOME people will, but the vast majority of people won't bother. Its human nature, I don't read the instructions or the help most of the time either. In any case, it won't matter for much longer. The iCloud support I'm working on *should* allow me to unlock the level packs you've purchased for any version of the game, on any device... as long as you use the same apple id to log into iCloud.

It is certainly your right to have an opinion, whether I agree with it or not. But don't I have the right to express my opinion too? Seems perfectly fair. Sure, maybe I was venting a little. But my main goal was to let people know that it isn't easy being a developer. I try to make a good product and I try to keep people happy, but it's just not always possible to please everyone. All I can do is try my best, and if that doesn't satisfy a customer, they can always get a refund from Apple without too much effort.

18. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Thanks for the reply to what I said. I understand why it wasn't mentioned now.
    IMO I don't think you need to worry about making a good product etc as The Creeps is by far one of the best TD games on the App Store and the updates as I said earlier are always great and cheap as chips.
    :)

19. Raymond23

Raymond23 Member

May 31, 2010
    Wow. Someone who has supported you and your app in the past is upset because he is getting penalized for having supported you, and I get a 2 page rant about how ungrateful people can be who have paid you for your product. Tells me a lot about the man behind the app I supported. Good luck with your product, but I truly no longer care. Far better TD games out there...and more professional developers who haven't forgotten it's never a good idea to alienate their paying customers....

20. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I'm not trying to defend RS, but I don't think he was trying to alienate anyone, I think he was going into detail, that some people will be angry with anything he does, while his goal is to make people happy with the product. He's right. You'll never make everyone happy when you change, add, delete ,etc. Someone will get upset. I think you missed the point. I found the diatribe to be humerous, as someone that works with people, you can't make everyone happy, you do the best you can.

Speaking of which - i think iCloud stinks, because it is very proprietary. I am sticking with dropbox for everything. Is there a way to enable iCloud only for apps, and if I go to disable it, will it threaten to erase everything like it did with my documents,contacts,etc? I only as as you are looking at using iCloud to solve the IAP issue. Or, will the current fix still continue to work?