The Dungeon Saga - new epic RPG by GameLab

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by GameLab, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I know what he meant, I just don't agree. At the time I was looking for games that played somewhat like SpeedQUEST in brevity and scope, and Dungeon Raid fit the bill quite nicely. However, in light of this new way of viewing the game play, I might just go back and give it a try again. Besides, I'm pretty sure they've added a bunch of stuff since the last time I played. Thanks to both for the insight.

And no offense taken :)

2. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    #62 Joshnsuch, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
    I would like to know if there is a something like a a quick play option or something along those lines.

I guess my issue is that I don't want to get all the way through the game and then have nothing left to do.

Any idea when this will be available?

3. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    That would be an interesting option, but while I'm not sure it has been explicitly mentioned in this thread, I think everything is randomly generated. If that's the case, you could just play the game over again! If I'm wrong, though, your idea would be great.

4. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    On the 17th they said they were resubmitting on Monday, so assuming they made that cutoff, hopefully the game will be approved in the next couple of days.

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    No, not even that. Just that there is, in fact, more in the game. If he was in the mood to play the game differently and non-strategically, nothing wrong with that. But it doesn't mean the strategy doesn't exist, just that he didn't search for it or find it.

I'm not saying storing up a dozen magic swords was the best possible strategy. Hard to know. But I know for a fact that I did in fact do it.

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    DR and this game, as well as puzzle quest and sword poker, are very different games. DR is more of an endless solitaire game, with a different type of strategy involved. These other games are a bit more action games, with definitively more speed and variety, but less deep strategy (no endless matches).

I like both, but I mostly prefer faster games to endless solitaires like DR.

You can think of a comparison to card games. Some people like solitaire, DR, some like fights, the rest. Few both.

7. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    But the biggest difference is not endless solitaire vs. matches, it is taking turns matching in a tableau vs. having your own tableau so that you can do more planning. You could have matches and still have your own tableau.

8. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    That is the difference between solitaire and fight. DR is based on a endless solitaire mode. This means you need strategy on how you use all resources vs the random elements of a game.
    When you have two opponents it is always best to limit resources and use one shared board and use character skills and some tactics to win. Basically ... Two tableau would remove an important aspect of fight based games ... An enemy that screws your plans by doing something.

And btw I like DR as much as PQ and co.

Devs, multiplayer dungeons would be really cool.

9. GameLab

GameLab Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Game Dev
    Cracow
    @Joshnsuch For now there is actually no something like a Quick Play mode BUT it is a great idea for the Update :)
    I have a lot of ideas for this game that are not build in so far so you can expect to get much more in the future :)

@FPE I can say that we are working on some type of multiplayer but I don't want to talk about it now :)

10. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    No, it's not. It's orthogonal to the difference between solitaire games and fight games.

It's perfectly possible to have a fight game where in each fight you take turns with an opponent (or opponents) manipulating a single tableau. It's also perfectly possible to have a fight game where you generate power and win or lose the fight by manipulating your own tableau.

There's no reason that people can't make puzzle-RPG-fight games where the fights involve a tableau that you can control but your opponent doesn't directly control. (Such games could have the opponent indirectly affecting your tableau, such as the Puzzle League games where opponents can send garbage blocks into your tableau.) They could also be symmetrical, where opponents have their own tableaus, or asymmetrical, where opponents use some different kind of power mechanism. There are lots of possibilities.

11. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    It is true, but two tableaus (as I wrote in the cut out part of the post) remove one important element of fighting that is somebody can screw up your plan but stealing your resources plus it reduces speed, that is something (for me at least) important in fights.

12. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Of course having a tableau which only you manipulate reduces the element of having opponents manipulate your tableau. That is the whole point. That is what makes games like Dungeon Raid much more enjoyable for me, and I would like to see that in fight games as well. A fight game with single player tableau could have the advantage of variety (different opponents with different powers and strengths) and also of more control.

I don't see that it has anything to do with speed. I think one can play games like Dungeon Raid pretty fast.

13. Joshnsuch

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Thanks for the response, GameLab. I'll definitely be looking for it.

Some can play Dungeon Raid fast, others cannot. I've easily had games that had me spending over an hour or two in a round. On the board here, I've read about people spending ridiculous amounts of time in a single game.

14. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    A game of Dungeon Raid can certainly take several hours, but that's just because it's a thousand turns or more. If you play a thousand turns of Puzzle Quest battling, that will take hours too.

Three hours for a thousand turns is only 10 seconds a turn. Is Puzzle Quest much faster than that? I don't think so.

A complete game of Puzzle Quest definitely takes much, much longer than 3 hours. So why is 3 hours for Dungeon Raid ridiculous?

15. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I think it gets personal taste also. I love DR played slow and this game played fast. Because dr needs deeper strategy and games with one tableau tactics as once the fight is over, it is over (well certain things like mana do not reset of course, or the game would be pointless).

16. Joshnsuch

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Is this gonna be a release for this coming Thursday?

17. idragoncool

idragoncool Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Rock Musician
    Its out already, great game i just purchased it not so long ago pretty good, i hope there will be a Univeral update, cause i thought it wouls be universal what gamelabs said or maybe D:.

18. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Just picked up a copy myself. Can't wait to try it out.

19. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    It's not a good sign when the people eagerly awaiting the game don't even know that it's been released. I had no idea it was out either. Maybe they should post an official thread in the iPhone/iPod games section?

20. Joshnsuch

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Do realize I posted before this was released. I see what you're getting at, though.