The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jdragoon19, Nov 8, 2011.

1. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Im loving the game so much and I havent even gotten much time to play with college and matches and stuff. But what I have played is brilliant. The difficulty seems way up from oblivion which is cool cos when im walking around I actually am scared at times.

And nothing beats that moment when a huge shadow passes over you and you think "Oh balls" and look up to see a dragon circling you. Its so class.

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm debating buying a gaming pc for this game and battlefield 3 although I could just go for the 360 versions. I've always fancied the idea of having a PC that could handle any game I threw at it but if I do I'm expecting it to be seriously expensive.

Really like the look of this game though.

3. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    If you can afford a good gaming PC then definitely get that. Skyrim on PC has unlimited replayablilty because of mods and BF3 on PC has epic 64 player battles compared to the mere 24 on consoles!

4. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    How do you refill the staff of sparks? It says to get souls or something, but I don't know how.

5. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Those gems you come across called "petty soul gems" are what you need.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Preferably not petty though... grand would be ideal, but the only creature I know that has a grand soul are the mammoths.

7. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Yeah I've got 2 of them. I thought I needed those. I pressed RB on the staff of sparks, but it said it didn't work.

By the way, I just found my second shadow stone.

I've killed 3 mammoths and I'm level 8. Where do I find the grand soul? I found the petty souls in two different chests.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I bought some from the alchemist dude in the building with the Jarl in Whiterun.

Once you use the gems they become empty, so you need to fill it again either by using a weapon with the soul enchant or by casting a soul trap spell before killing an enemy. The bigger and tougher the enemy, the bigger the soul you can trap.

I've also heard that if you're actually playing some kind of mage class, you could enchant your gear to give you 100% destruction magicka useage reduction, then your weapon soul level will never decrease.

9. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Oooh. I didn't know you need a soul trap. Do you get soul traps through magicka?

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You can find/enchant weapons that capture souls if the enemy is killed within a certain time after using it, but I find it easier to use the Soul Trap spell, which I bought from the Whiterun alchemist fairly cheap.

11. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Alright. I'll get that. Thanks for the help.

12. Abi646

Abi646 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Getting this on Friday if I can find a decent black friday deal on it... If not, gotta wait till december

13. PhxBangBus602

PhxBangBus602 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    You should do the Azura's Shrine quest to obtain the Azura's star - then you will never need another soul gem again.

14. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    How's everyone finding their encounters with the dragons? I saw a review of Skyrim somewhere where they mentioned that the dragons weren't too difficult to kill which made the fights with them a little monotonous, but with the exception of the first one you encounter at the Western Lookout Tower (which you have help with), I find myself getting my ass truly kicked by them whenever I encounter one... I'm currently Level 10.

15. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    It depends on the dragon for me. If it's an ice dragon then I find it pretty easy to kill because my character is a Nord which means he's 50% resistant to frost.

The fire breathing dragons can be challenging though, I usually end up running away from them. :eek:

16. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I'm new to this game, and didn't have the slightest clue what a wabbajack was, but I thought it was powerful. I used it on an elk and it changed into massive monster. :D

17. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#57 Sanuku, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    It was morning. The sun had barely risen and after a rainy night the fog was still all over the valley and bathed the landscape around Windhelm in a milky soup.

I had packed my things earlier this morning because I wanted to hunt mammoths and so after I had saluted the two guards at the main gate and saw that one of both again have

fallen asleep during his Guard i boarded my horse and ride to the last known location where I had seen the mammoth a few Days ago which was next to a troll camp.

While I was riding down the castle keep the fog was getting dense all around me and I was barely able to see my own hand before my own eyes.

After a few more yards on my horse was restless and slowed down without a Reason.

While we passed an old ruin on the left side of the road I saw just for an blink of an Eye one mighty big shadow hover above us and my horse was completely restless until it came to a halt.

While I alighted from my horse to calm the Horse the shadow appeared again upon us. This time however it seemed to be closer because he was clearly greater than the first time i had seen over it.

The fog was still thick around me so all that I could see was little more than an arm's length. Seconds later a formidable thing came flying towards me and only now I recognize two red glowing eyes. It was a Dragon!

He was much bigger then the once i had encountered so far.Because of the many wounds and injuries all over his body I realized that it was one of ther older Once.

The dragon flew again a circle and then came down under a thunderous roar a few yards ahead of me on the ground. His red eyes were gleaming in the fog and because of the large shadow he cast I realized that it must be one of those you only hear in old Books about.

After the dragon had shaken the dust from his body that he had raised during the landing he stared at me for a few seconds without the slightest movement. Only his head seem to move with the wind and his red, big Eyes were glowing right at Me through the fog...

And this was the moment were i did realize that Skyrim will be the Game of the Year in it`s Genre and that the 100 € i had spent for the Game (I had bought it for my Brother and Myself on Steam) were worth every damn Cent i had spent for it.

The second Moment were when my Brother told me that he was out in the Morning to hunt something... I thought that he was talking about some Bears, Trolls,... something big what can be used as a Trophy.

He told me that he was out to hunt some firefly :D

When he did returned he told me that he were attacked by three mammoth and had barely survived. I asked him to show me the Place where he was attacked and when we had reached the Place ( Yes it is the same Place i had encountered the Dragon a few Days before) i asked him what he had done.

He told me that he were riding to Windhelm when he saw those mammoth and he wanted to stroke them *Facepalm*.

We were both laughing the hole Day after i had told him that the mammoth aren`t Pets :D

I have to recheck what Level my Brother is but he is literally dancing with the Dragons. While i am currently doing Fine with them (Level 20) he seem to play with the Dragons and i remember that he even was once riding one of them. Not really riding but i remember a scene where he did Jump on one of them and the Dragon did flow a few Miles while my Brother was on him and hitting his Head.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not too impressed by the dragon encounters. All too often they involve little more than hiding behind a rock while they're breathing fire then popping out and shooting an arrow. Rinse and repeat. They're still a nice addition though, I wouldn't mark the game down because of it.

19. thesharkden

thesharkden Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2011
    This game is sucking the time out of my days.

20. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Does anyone know whether shields provide any protection from magic? My one handed Nord is a melee beast but can get absolutely destroyed by mages, especially fire ones.