The IAP/Freemium Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lost_Deputy, Feb 16, 2013.

1. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Developers can have their discussions defending why they have to be properly compensated. Players can have their discussions justifying which IAP is least invasive. The undeniable fact between the two perspectives is the presence of solicitation within the gaming experience. Right, wrong or indifferent, one cannot escape this. If IAP is present, then so is the influence to use it.

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013

Agreed as it is all too easy to buy too many coins, rubies, etc.
    Then you break the game early on.
    Glu I look at you.

3. One Side Software

One Side Software Active Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Atlanta, GA
    #83 One Side Software, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    I'm glad to see Apple is taking a step toward labeling freemium games as such. It'd be nice if they could go into more detail (unlock content vs. pay to win vs. "energy boost" etc), but it is a good first step.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Lots of critical comments were removed from the DH4 thread?

5. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Nothing too major in here. There is that Alt DD4 Thread for people after a cheaper version of the genre though...

6. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    #86 SimianSquared, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    How do you guys feel about:

- set price of .99c
    - various tiers of iAP to:

1. expand on content, ie new level packs (providing the .99c covered enough game for the money)

2. optional bonus content like fun non game breaking items/alt play modes and such?

- pretty much similar to how street fighter 4 on xbox works - you just pay for more characters, customisation and such to extend the life of the title you have already paid for and enjoyed.

This would be to offset the fact .99c is actually lowballing and a net loss for the title. Of course this extra content will not result in having "half an app" or any pay walls. You can still complete what you've got and additional content is optional for those who love it so much they just want more. And more means we have to make more and get paid for that.

I don't like freemium at all (iAP only) because of the insane amount of bot farming that is (still!) going on. It's impossible to get anywhere with free at this point without paying a bot farm provider (and they're getting very good at hiding their tracks).

You would be mortified at how many actually-good apps used bot farms to get a higher free app rank. These are actually good apps or very well known apps at times. I think they choose to employ farms because they have no choice in freemium if every one else does it. Sad.

Thoughts?

Note: This is in regards to Simian Squared future titles, not TOB.

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I don't mind IAP for new content like that at all, but if a $6.99 price point totally obsolete?

8. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    6.99 very tough without a dedicated marketing campaign/exposure. Simian's position is to "always make console titles" - ie high production values, tonnes of art and so on - but it's very hard with a lot of luck to just throw it out there at that price without a big name behind you.

9. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Simian, I don't remember anyone complaining about Galaxy on Fire 2's new campaign (paid) or the new p,arable characters in Heroes and Castles, or even the aesthetic outfits in Lili so as long as it's not consumable or needed (paywall and stuff) it's fine by me.