The June 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Final Fantasy 5

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    #101 Dailon80, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    I'm almost done with the pyramid but this part with the holes in the floor that move is tough I keep falling and having to fight my way back on my to fall again
    I'm the pyramid it's tough down to three characters only and I struggled for a minute until I equipped my summoner with Gaia and that has been a huge help
    In the pyramid I'm going with samurai with time magic ability, mystic knight with animals ability and summoner with Gaia ability
    I have no one with white magic but when I neee it I just change summoner to use it and change right back so far it's worked okay

2. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #102 Dailon80, Jun 13, 2017
    Almost got through this section with the moving floor holes The not so precise controls hurt me on this part but I think I can get it now
    Finally made it!!! Then I went wrong way on stairs right back to square one $&$$ four letter word ruff ha
    Made it out
    Now 26 hours 41 mins in

3. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    So a few more thoughts. This isn't quite a review, but...

This was my first go at Final Fantasy V. I'd beat Final Fantasy VI, my all time favorite Final Fantasy entry, again last month. Playing through FFV for the replay sounded fun.

It's interesting. Despite FFVI being my favorite FF entry I'd admit it doesn't often feel like it has much to do with FFI. It helps that FFIV was the immediate precursor to FFVI in the states and those two games are pretty close in a lot of ways.

I'm saying this because FFV feels like the true sequel to FFI that IV and VI never were. The crystals, the classic jobs, the focus on the party and their stories over the individual arcs, etc. The job class system is amazingly deep and balanced (despite the game breaking freelancer). All in all this was a really great entry and I'm sad younger me never got a shot at this.

There are negatives. With the vehicle swapping it's easy to feel like you're on the rails. The story is pretty cliche at points. But this feels like a game that knows what it wants to be and is happy being that. Camp isn't bad when it's embraced in the way you see it in FFV.

All in all this was a great game. FFVI may still be my favorite main series entry, but this one will now always find its way near to the top of any list I build.

4. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Dr Traveler thanks for sharing your thoughts and keeping me motivated on task :) I'm now at island shrine and I got three of the legendary weapons Excalibur, Metasume, and Magus Rod were my choices this time. I have got to beat VI next I think on that one I haven't made it far at all in past and I need to change that so when this is done I'm tackling VI but will also continue III until I finish all 3.
    You've convinced me that I need to give VI proper attention since I have more or less ignored it and maybe it's the intro part that gets me.

5. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    wow this island shrine is no joke
    the enemy sets are tough i have had to adjust my team in many ways to navigate it and
    it is very frustrating right now ha
    this is not the cakewalk i expected... I may need to grind some more levels next

6. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Yeah, there are a few spots in the merged world where despite grinding I had to vary my strategies. And there were some areas in the void where random enemy spawns could come dangerously close to killing my whole team. Stupid Mindflayers.

7. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #107 Dailon80, Jun 13, 2017
    Tot aevis is one I don't want to run into again must have 100,000 HP and not even a boss ha f him ha
    Finally made it to the stokers and holy cow they are no joke at all
    My strategy was blown to crap before I even had a chance to use any attack (I need to switch to wait for battles this sucks) anyways he took my summoner out pronto and I was gonna use a summons to block some of the attacks never got the chance and I was going to use Time Mage hastaga on my whole party but it was not good so I will try again and again until I can at least do something to him

8. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #108 Dailon80, Jun 13, 2017
    Dr Traveler I need your advice on what team to assemble against the stokers the issue seems to be I can't land any attacks always misses whether summons, reg attacks, Gaia, nothing is working at all
    I even tried a berserker which was way dumb ha
    Is there anyway to recover from the mind blast i.e. A item I can use to get it to stop
    Every battle he hits two characters right off with it before I can do anything
    And I looked even though I have it set to wait on battle they still keep attacking while I'm looking through my items which totally sucks
    This guy is so overwhelming I want to just quit this damn game but I'm not but he's that bad

9. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #109 Dailon80, Jun 13, 2017
    Beat him finally and then I learned how cruel this game can be
    Unlike Last big boss fight this time I don't appear outside I've got walk back through and out
    Sheesh
    My love for this game is dying quick haha
    It really is
    Okay I love it again
    Time mage use teleport back to safety

10. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Which boss was that?

I noticed rapid fire seems to ensure 100% accuracy. When I'd swing regularly I'd miss. A lot. Some of these monsters have enormous evasion.

There's also the aim ability from the Ranger. 100% accuracy is no joke.

11. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I'm about to get the lithograph from underwater not doing bad finally figured out Ominsent
    Firaga and lots of Carbunkle summons ha

12. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    You're doing great! Journey on!

13. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I'm very close to finishing it :) yay
    Thanks

14. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    One more tablet to go! I know have all but 3 legendary weapons

15. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Made it to leviathan but I didn't have any ether or elixir and ran out of magic for my black mage that I had equipped with coral ring and thunder rod so I'm sticking up on ether and also grabbing that helpful thundaga I forgot and then I will return to claim the last tablet :)

16. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #116 Dailon80, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    30 hours 40 mins just claimed all 12 legendary weapons time for a few hours break and try to wrap it up today or tomorrow!
    Gave the N Zone a shot but I keep running out of MP
    So I'm gonna grind a little and get about 200 ethers and see what's up then haha may need more than that even
    Tough part of the game N zone is

17. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #117 Dailon80, Jun 14, 2017
    I've started mastering jobs now Bard, Samurai, Mystic Knight, Black Mage and White Mage all mastered. Time Mage very close to being mastered too. I'm just gonna focus on this a minute also found the mirage village and there I can buy elixir but 50,000 is steep may get a couple anyways to go with my ethers or I may just buy 50 or more ethers haven't decided but since I have a couple elixirs already in gonna do ether probably
    Mastering my black mage meant getting the MP +20% which i desperately needed. All good I'm in a good spot I just want to make sure when I'm ready I can just complete the game

Ether update I now have 43 towards my 200 haha I'm
    Not kidding I'm doing this made up side quest ha

18. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    I used the basement of the Castle of Bal to grind for jobs. The Object D'art is vulnerable to level 5 death and also gives a lot of gil. You can also use the Gil Cave if you think you can handle the Gil Turtle.

19. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #119 Dailon80, Jun 14, 2017
    Thanks for the tips! I am now giving it a go as I am thinking I can beat it (fingers crossed) ha
    Apprehendr next making progress :)

20. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #120 Dailon80, Jun 14, 2017
    Azulmagia down and now a save point thank goodness so I can break out the tent and get ready for more boss fights
    Catastroph is pretty tough I got this though