The Last of Us [PS3]

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by september, Jun 10, 2013.

1. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    #21 K.D!, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Yeah, I've already encountered in my game. Apparently, selecting 'save' from the menu when you're finished and selecting 'Load Game' rather than 'Continue' from the main menu, works around it. Haven't tried it yet. Probably should before I get too far into it.

UPDATE 1: Ok, gave it a try and yes, progress lost... cheers Naughty Dog! As it turns out, you can't manually save because the save, load and even quit game options are disabled whilst it auto-saving. Problem is, when it's stuck on Auto Save, the only way out of the game is to via the PS Home button on the joypad. Booted the game back up, entire progress lost! Thankfully I was only just over an hour into it so I haven't lost too much but still, completely sucks.

Apparently it's caused by a combination of the day one patch that was released and PSN. Others have reported that deleting the patch or playing offline sorts it out but I'd rather not risk it, in the interest of not losing progress again.

Typical, my most anticipated game this year so far and I'm going to have to force myself to not play it until a fix is released. Dammit!

UPDATE 2: From Naughty Dog's Twitter:

"@Naughty_Dog: We've addressed the autosave issue, it was related to servers on our end. Please quit to XMB and restart the game. SP and MP are OK to play!"

Kind of sucks that I can't retrieve my data but at least it's sorted.

2. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Playing it right now and yet to save/reload. Maybe I should check to see if auto save works now rather than going too deep ingame.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This is why I'm usually not bothered about the US getting games a couple of days before the UK, major stuff like this gets reported to me in advance :D

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Autosave issuse fixed.
    Saw it on GI.

5. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Yeah just checked, it's fixed. Phew.

6. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Introduction sequence is 10/10, had me riveted throughout.

Game itself is a bit removed from what I expected with being thrown into a grand plot rather than a pure survival story, but it's still working for me. Need to switch my play style to be a bit more subtle with ammo limits, getting owned by clickers with sighted runner groups.

7. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I am really back and forth on the game. I want to buy it to support Naughty Dog, the fresh approach to the third-person action genre, and to support the fact that Naughty Dog wants women to have stronger roles in the world of videogames.

On the other hand, though, everything I've read about it makes it sound like the kind of game that I don't want to touch with a ten-foot pole. It sounds so depressing, difficult, and just not my kind of game. It doesn't look fun at all to me.

But I don't know :( It's so back and forth. I really do want to support the female portrayal by voting with my money, but if it's not a fun game for me then it will be a waste of money in that sense.

It looks like it is well-made, though!

8. september

Sep 14, 2012
    I don't find it depressing in the same way I don't find The Walking Dead game or series, Fallout and so on depressing. I prefer a human element and how it evolves under those conditions (or at least potential possibilities). In some odd way I find it interesting, fun wouldn't be the right word but I enjoy the experience. But it isn't going to be for everyone.

As for difficulty, you're not Rambo who can run into a room shooting a pair of M60s from the hip with unlimited ammo but I wouldn't call it difficult either. It doesn't hold your hand and you do need to approach areas and encounters with some tactic, but it's more than achievable.

9. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I understand. :)

Lol oh don't worry... I hate being Rambo. I prefer stealth games like Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell (before the Xbox 360 generation). I prefer sneaking around in the shadows and dispatching enemies silently <3 Are there a lot of opportunities for stealthing in this game?

Hm... well, surprise surprise, the hype train railed into my apartment and I bought the game. :p

10. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Yeah definitely once the game gets going, I find it trickier than the likes of Deus Ex due to number of enemies to remain hidden from, but it does get numbers down to a manageable level if you are spotted.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Well that's just... the worst way to get numbers down! Start over and be pro this time!

12. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Would anyone recommend this game to me, as someone who disliked Uncharted 2? Is it different enough?

I would consider myself to be quite loyal Playstation gamer, but I have never really understood the popularity and the acclaim of the Uncharted series.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    What's to dislike about Uncharted 2?

I haven't played TLoU yet, but I'm hearing more references to stealth and sort of ICO-like gameplay than the more action-oriented Uncharted. That's what's making me want to buy it anyway.

14. september

Sep 14, 2012
    :)

You can tell it's the same engine but it doesn't really say Uncharted, it is its own game. I was one of very few people that felt the Uncharted series got worse progressively, or at least my enjoyment of it. It is hard to recommend to you though as I'm not sure which parts of Uncharted you disliked.

15. Kamil_GoodnightGames

Kamil_GoodnightGames Well-Known Member

May 6, 2013
    New Jersey
    Although I have not played it yet (don't have time) i have a copy in my room. As a person who didn't like the uncharted games much, based off the previews and articles this isn't really like uncharted. The reviews have mentioned it is fairly linear though. So if thats not your style I'd try to look at some videos or something. On a side note, i preordered this based off of the story and characters. I hope the gameplay does live up to it!

16. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    The cinematic gameplay, the poor and unsatisfying combat mechanics, the bullet-sponge enemies, the generic characters, the mostly bland and forgettable story.

I'm sure most people would disagree with me on nearly all of those points, but the game just wasn't for me. I have enjoyed similar games including the Tomb Raider and MGS games. To me they feel like proper games, whereas Uncharted just feels like a bad action movie.

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I do disagree on most, but particularly "bullet-sponge" enemies, as nearly all of them die with a single bullet to the head. I thought it had one of the greatest casts and story I've ever witnessed in a game :p

18. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    I totally agree with MidianGTX on this one. I will say off the bat, I'm a MASSIVE fan of the Uncharted games (less so Golden Abyss but it was still decent for what it was). I always loved the whole Hollywood blockbuster, giant set pieces, action packed nature of the game. There was rarely ever a moments pause and Uncharted 2 still stands as an absolute adrenaline rush. Still, I respect that no game is universally loved by every single gamer.

As for The Last Of Us... I would honestly say take the plunge. It's a much darker and grittier game and if Uncharted is merely an exception and you generally like action games, this is one of the best I've played in recent times (including Uncharted). There are obvious similarlites between the two, like the linear nature of the game and the fact that its running on the same engine, but it honestly has a btetter overall feel to it. Unlike Uncharted which, with enough skill, the player can run and gun his way through the experience, The Last of Us is much more refined. It's maybe not so much the case on easy but on medium and above it's borderline suicide to run head first into battle. Instead, you're encourage to hide and asses your surroundings, in an attempt to use stealth tactics to try and at least reduce the overall numbers... and with the exception of Clickers, I've found the enemy AI, for the most part, to be very alert and aggressive.

As for story and characters, I'm currently 11hrs into the campaign (and there still seems a ways to go yet) and my observations are that unlike Uncharted which is kind of your typical Hollywood blockbuster affair (in a good way I found), The Last of Us is much more like Telltale's Walking Dead in that it focuses very little on the infection itself and chooses to explore the struggles of those who have survived and trying to carry on doing so. It's difficult for me to go further into it without divulging serious spoilers but I will say that this game's prologue level alone left a bigger impact on me in terms of story than most games have in their entire campaign.

I may just be getting ahead of myself, given that I seem to love everything that Naughty Dog puts out, and I am aware that there's naturally going to be some who don't share my views of the game but it's honestly been quite some time since I've been this consistantly impressed with a game (maybe even more than Uncharted 2) and I honestly can't recommend it enough. I haven't even finished my first play through and yet already I can't wait to New Game+ it.

19. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    For me I think I'd give that award to Read Dead Redemption. I really hope Rockstar are making a sequel.

Thanks for your advice. I do prefer the more refined and slower-paced action games. And even though I'm a big fan of open world games, I still enjoy linear games so long as there is a decent sense of progression and variety in levels (Half Life 2 is one of my favourite shooters).

I'll probably pick up The Last of Us when it drops in price, as I still have other games that need finishing. And I'll be sure to play it on hard difficulty - after watching some of Giant Bomb's quick look of the game, I learnt that on harder difficulty levels it's more of a struggle to find items and ammunition.

20. september

Sep 14, 2012
    RDR was a good game but had the worst ending reward ever... I certainly hope a sequel wouldn't be a direct one.