The Last of Us [PS3]

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by september, Jun 10, 2013.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The stories in video games are universally terrible. If they were a TV show they'd be laughed off of the lowliest cable television station. You can say that a story is relatively good *for a video game*, but that's about it. :)

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Uh...

I take it you haven't played Okami, any Final Fantasy game, any Metal Gear Solid game, Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, any Kingdom Hearts game, Alan Wake, Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain....

...I mean, I could go on forever.

There is such a thing as a great story for a videogame that is also a great story in other mediums. Open your eyes, little kitten :p

3. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    This I can agree with you on Cheify.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Wrong. Oh so very, very wrong. That's one of the worst generalizations I've heard in a while. Videogames have evolved and matured to the point where they can tell a story just as engrossing, with characters as full of life and motivation, with worlds as real and lived in as many books or movies. Some are art form.

Masterchief has a great list, but I'd like to add Walking Dead and any GTA game (particularly the last two). I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but those are just the ones I could come with besides what Masterchief listed.

Oh, and Dead Island. Duh, how the hell could I forget that gem of a story-driven, heartwrenching game about the horrors and human impact of the zombie apocalypse.

5. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Add mass effect, this game, myth the fallen lords, and timesplitters future perfect. Thats not even combing adventure games.

6. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I'm sure this game is great but...

Attached Files:

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #47 crunc, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    I have played Bioshock, though not to completion by any means. At first I was duped by the atmosphere, which is certainly thick, but soon enough the "thick" story inside popped out. But I admit I did not finish it. Maybe somehow the dumb story gets smarter, but what I did see wasn't terribly impressive to say the least.

I will say that I enjoyed the story in Portal 2, but still, had you pulled the story out of the game, it would haven't have made for a very good story. In the context of the game it works. And I think that's fine, but it's not something I'd want to watch as a film.

8. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I disagree. Besides, the majority of movies and TV are just absolutely terrible, with laughable plots, poor cinematography, no/uninspired art direction, terrible acting... Just extremely tacky in general.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I don't disagree with you about TV shows at all. :)

10. ghanw

ghanw Well-Known Member

May 18, 2012
    Dang well finishing The Last of Us certainlty has left me up a lot of morals and video games have definetly matured in story telling.

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It leaves you feeling uneasy, not sure what to feel. Nicely done.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Picked up the regular version earlier today. :) I haven't been much into console gaming for years now (having bought only Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition, WWE '13, Batman: Arkham City and God of War: Ascension over the last couple of years), but I'm really looking forward to playing this when I have time (MK: Komplete Edition and GoW are still sealed >_>).

13. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Well, I have played a few hours now and just met Ellie. I'm honestly loving the game a ton... something that helps a lot is the option for Gore. I turned it off, because the videos I saw made me feel ill (which is something I don't experience very often). So now when I smash someone's head into the concrete, it's more like a low-budget movie with no special effects and rubber concrete! They just hit their head and go down forever.

My friend told me what the gore -is- like, and it sounds... awful :(

But now that I have gore turned off, and I'm playing on Easy (foregone conclusion), I'm having a great time. I'm treating it less like Uncharted and more like Metal Gear Solid. I'm trying to be as sneaky of a snake as I can be. Of course I get into some firefights because I really suck at the game, but those are still fun... also very suspenseful because of the lack of bullets I have and the fact that the first time I got into a firefight I wasted 7 bullets trying to get a headshot :(

The graphics are unbelievable. After the PS4 conference I felt like the current generation of games were starting to look extremely dated... but this game breaks that trend completely. It's gorgeous.

The story, though... I'm not really digging it. At least, I thought the story would be more complex or worthwhile. All it has boiled down to so far is "Go from point A to point B to make something inconsequential happen." It's a shame if the rest of the game is as inconsequential, because the beginning was outstanding.

That leads me to compare this to Uncharted 3, where the game started out as extraordinarily unique and cinematic, and I thought it was going to be a very different game from that point! But then after the first level, it becomes a tedious and repetitive game that I didn't give a heck about at the end. I'm not saying The Last of Us is boring or repetitive, though. It's still a wonderful game. I just think Naughty Dog may have screwed up again by giving off an amazing first impression of an innovative game experience and squandered it in less than an hour.

And also, Uncharted 3 isn't bad by any means. But it gets so action-heavy in the last 40% of the game, and the story never adds up to anything satisfying.

A little more off the course of the above, I am so happy with the portrayal of women in the game. Tess is extremely strong (I wish she would be with me along with Ellie :p) and a real badass :D I always pay attention to how women are portrayed in videogames nowadays, and I want to always pay special respect to the games that do it right (aka, not hold onto tropes that have been plaguing games for decades; move the women forward and make strong characters that don't need saving and don't feel oversexualized).

Anyways. Loving the Last of Us. I'm glad I blindbought it despite my previous apprehension.

The multiplayer is seriously annoying, though. :( But I don't care about that at all :cool:
    Anyways, I'm loving The Last of Us. I can dig it :)

14. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Casket, MK is awesome. I use stryker.
    TLoU sounds great, I might have to try it now.

15. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Holy CRAP. I just got to a part (I think 35% in):

It's the segment after you find out how to disable traps:

HOLY CRAP! You find a door to go through, and when you open it it activates a trap that swoops you upside-down in a chain, and you have to protect Ellie while she tries to take the chain off of the fridge? OH MY GOODNESS!!!! One of the most exhilarating experiences of my videogame life. I don't know why it was so cool for me, but in one single shot, you go from standing, to getting trapped, to upside-down and the whole level flips with you.

I've never seen that before. It is so amazingly awesomely cool and grand! And then Billy slashes the Runner getting at your face. You fall down, and you follow him all the way back to his place! MAN! That was awesome. <3 Billy's kind of the biggest douchebag in the world, unfortunately, but that part was still badass and awesome. <3

Anyone else love that part?

16. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Earned this today at D&B by playing lots of Temple Run Arcade xD. Can't wait to run through the game on my bro's PS3. 1/3 through Uncharted 3 atm. Trying to check out some of the titles I can't play on my 360 this summer.

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The Last Of Us is going to be one of the best campaigns I’ve played. The first hour was awesome.

Finally started it. My bro took way too long to get through Uncharted 3, lol.

18. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Mm... while I love to hear you're loving it, be careful about basing the game off of the first hour. Naughty Dog proved to me with Uncharted 3 that they put all their cinematic finesse and epicness in the first couple hours, and by the end of the game, sans a few glorious set pieces, they just turn lazy... especially in terms of the story.

So far The Last of Us is amazing, though, and I'm 37% or so, with 11 hours. So maybe they learned from Uncharted 3? :p

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    37% with 11 hours? o_O what difficulty are you playing on? 11 hours is usually the entirety of a typical single-player game.

20. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Heh... well I like to take my time :eek:

Especially with a game like this, I want to take in the atmosphere and inspect all the little details of the environment. I don't want to blast through it too fast... I want to just take it all in! :D