The LIST: Your ultimate source for top quality iphone apps; always evolving!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by p0rtalthinker101, Nov 5, 2009.

?

was this list useful to you?

1. Yes! I found quote a lot of good iphone games here.

73.4%
  2. Not really.

26.6%
  1. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    +1 to all the three above! TanZen, Zentonimo and Storm Attack!

2. RiverOnFire

RiverOnFire Well-Known Member

How about:

Wild West Pinball?

Dark Nebula?

Sentinel?

3. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    Add Orbital, Jet Car Stunts, Kryzer Prologue to the list!

4. p0rtalthinker101

p0rtalthinker101 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    Wow guys! Lots of comotion while I was away fighting a cold. needless to say, I am definately considering making categories for the games.

I understand that not everyone will like every game on this list, but I wanted to fit in atleast one of the best of any type of game in any category so everyones happy.

Thanks for all the game suggestions, reading throught them all now)

I'll get back to adding these tomorrow/day after tomorrow.

5. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    I agree. Aqua globs will be added :)

6. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    I posted a reply once before, but I am going to do it again because I believe these games deserve to be on the list, and I will say why.

Alchemize - This is one of the most polished match 3 game in the appstore, there have been a few updates thus far, and they keep adding different modes to play with. The most recent update added Gone in 20, and that is my favorite one to play. The game has online leader boards, and I believe acheivements are to be in a future update.

Poppi - Definitely top 5 casual pick up and play games in the app store, they added an update a little while back to allow you to start at higher levels, instead of starting from the beginning everytime.

Motion X Poker - Kind of like Yahtzee I guess, but it is more geared towards poker fans. There is a ton of acheivements to get in this game, plus there are a bunch of dice that you can try and win. This game will keep you entertained for a very long time.

Skee-Ball - How could it not be on the list? Casual gaming at its best. Tons of acheviements, Online leaderboards, Prizes to win. It has everything you could possibly want in a game, and it is also very fun.

iBlast Moki - This game created quite a buzz on the forums for a while, it has a ton of content, online leader boards, level editor, and it allows you to play user created levels. Definitely worthy of the list.

Moonlights - Ton of levels, over 100 I believe. A casual physics game that is fun for everyone, it will keep you busy for a good while.

Orbital - Again, casual gaming at its best. When it comes to I got to beat my best score, there is none better.

7. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    About the "next best thing;" new games that are popular/awesome/worthy of being on the list will be added (ravensword for example).

8. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    Storm attack eh? checking it out...

9. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    About jet car stunts; can people give me some thoughts on the game?

And is wild west pinball or the deep pinball better? What pinball game is the best?

10. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    Iblast moki's definately going to be added.

11. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State

"Horror Racing."
    dunno about that one; tried the lite and I really wasent impressed. 3 more votes and horror racing will be added.

"Luxor"
    Should be disqualified for taking stoneloups from the appstore for no apparent reason.

Ramp Champ
    is skee-ball or this better?

"Command & Conquer Red Alert"
    This or civilization revolution? which is better?

"Rock Band"
    Serious contendor. one more vote and it will be added.

"Rope Raider"
    copycat of rope n fly.

Star Defense

"Sway"
    Already added.

"Tap Tap Revenge 3"
    i'll add this.

"Topple 2"
    didn't do anything for me.

"Worms"
    Never got to play it. Impressions?

12. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Ok so I guess I was still thinking you were on the top 100 or whatever it was when it started. My bad.

How long does a game need to be released to kind of prove itself before consideration? What if a game starts off like gang busters but then people find they beat it quickly or it didn't live up to the hype or what not?

Or like how popular? Fortress Frenzy developed quite a little following and its a great game and would suggest its a little known sleeper. The thread didn't generate nearly as many posts as some of the big names but for a game of that genre its quite good with entertaining dialogue, quick gameplay, and crisp graphics. I also recently went back to playing Bugdom 2 and forgot how great that game is! That is very deep with good graphics and has a lot to do within stages - kind of a big game at the time of its release. I don't even know if some of the newer iPhone/iTouch users even know of that game because it was like an early release in the life of the app store. Is that too old to be listed?

So I guess I am asking what are the qualifiers to be listed.

13. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    @ p0rtalthinker101

1. Horror Racing: I enjoyed this one. I thought it was a lot of fun due to the various powerups and the controls, although needed some getting used to, were good enough for most people.

2. Luxor: agreed

3. Ramp Champ vs Skee-Ball: I definitely have to vote for skee-ball on this one. Look at eggzbacon's post above

4. Civ Rev vs. C&C: Although biased, as I prefer RTS, I believe that C&C is better. The graphics are nice, and the overall feel is packaged nicely into an iphone app. The content for the money is the main problem, but otherwise, its a very nicely made game.

5. Rope Raider: This game is superior to Rope n' Fly, imo, because the graphics are much nicer; it just feels like a more polished rope n' fly.

6. Star Defense: Eh...didn't really like this one. It had unique 3d graphics at its time, but the overall gameplay wasn't that fun.

7. Worms: No. This was not a good game at all. The animations are choppy, the controls are terrible, even after the update. Maybe I'm being a little too critical on this game, but I think that a lot of people share the same feelings.

14. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    #114 skyye06, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    See this is the reason why so many find it subjective. Giving the reason that one is a copy such as rope raider clearly points that out. You do know that rope n' fly was a copy of another game? Anyways yes as others have said I have found that rope raider in almost every aspect better that rope n' fly and its sequel. Yes I have played all three, which is not much I can say about you.

I'm sorry if I seem like I am fueling the fire but I'm not trying too, it's just that you say your not trying to be subjective and I'm just trying to help you with just that.

Oh another to add is radio flare but since reasoning doesn't work to well to get it on there try the lite out, it's still one of my favorite games and really looking forward to the sequel.

One last thing some of the reasons don't give much reason why it should be on there. Such as spore origins, which I didn't enjoy much but again that could be me, but a good accelerometer, excellent graphics and an rpg system doesn't necessarily make it a good game though it does help...it is all about the "fun factor". But that is more fine line I guess so here is another: Run! has a "unique concept" but in actuality it copied quite a few other games that were already out but was the first to combine all the good aspects of the subgenre and make it really fun.

15. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Skyye mentioned run! what about Action Hero? We honestly could go on and on for thousands of apps!

16. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #116 djflippy, Nov 16, 2009
    To link a game directly from the title, type [ app ] game name [ /app ]; It looks better, it's more intuitive, and it saves space.

[app]Trism[/app] - Amazing amounts of depth and replay value and a good use of the accelerometer
    [app]Eliss[/app] - Excellent use of multi-touch technology and an icon for indie gaming
    [app]Dungeon Hunter[/app] - The most full-featured and graphically stunning Diablo clone on the app store

Questionable games on the list, IMO. Doesn't mean that I don't like them, just that they aren't iconic:
    • Run!
    • Boost 3D
    • Alive 4-Ever
    • Charmed
    • Falling Balls
    • Geared
    • Paper Toss
    I also think that in some cases, there should only be one representative of a certain genre. For instance, I don't think that both Zombieville and Inkvaders need to be on the list. Not sure if both the original and the sequel for some titles need to be included either. Maybe choose the one that is most deserving of the title "iconic".

Puzzle games, like [app]Jabeh[/app] for instance, seem to be under-represented on this list. Maybe I just over-estimate their importance, since I like them.

To answer a previous question, RTK Touch stands for [app]Romance of the Three Kingdoms Touch[/app].

Nice work on the list, BTW, p0rtalthinker101.

17. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    Its not entirely my decision only. You just gave me lots of reasons why rope n fly should be replaced with rope raider.

I never did finish spore origins but because of the beautiful graphics and customizable system I figured itshould atleast be a contender. I put it under the honorable mention but when I moved alot of other games from there on the list I figured id just add all of them.

18. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    #118 p0rtalthinker101, Nov 16, 2009

I'll try to do that link thing sometime.

Checking up Jabeth, RTK Touch and Trism.

I thought Dungeon Hunter was on there. If it isen't I will most definaely add it.

I am currently adding lots of games people have suggested:

heavy mach
    eliss
    aera
    gangstar
    aqua globs
    iblast moki
    moonlights.

I will also look over all the apps on the list again and delete anything that may not be considered worthy (spore perhaps).

Most of the apps you said you thought werent worthy I really love, and some of them are most certainly iconic (falling balls and paper toss for sure).

You might be interested to know I am probably going to mae another list categorized by genre (all the castle defense games in one area, all dual stick shooters in another).

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hard to compare C&CRE and Civ Rev - they're very different games.

and Worms has nothing on Star Hogs. ;)

20. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    Hey guys,

Just updated the list with the new games. I tried the link into title thing but it was way to tedious, so I decided to scratch that.

Im finding it hard to do anything these days, what with MW2 and L4D2 coming out, and getting a job at TheCurrentGamer, as well as playing all these cool new games that are out on the iphone :)

A category list is next on the spreadsheet.