The New iPad Retina Display Game Thread!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Borgqueenx, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Cynicalone

Cynicalone Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Infinity Blade 2 retina update is live on the store now.

2. zeth

zeth Active Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Wow, so hyped.

Haven't the naysayers been claiming it won't run 3D games at native res for the past few weeks? This is one of the most graphically intensive games out there. Unless they just updated the UI assets...

3. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
  4. PixelsOnToast

PixelsOnToast Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    #64 PixelsOnToast, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Mass Effect: Infiltrator iPad retina display update is now live. Hopefully Dead Space will be coming soon.

6. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
  7. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
  8. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    hinting that pvz will get retina display some time.

9. lucifon

lucifon Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Touchgrind BMX and Real Racing HD2 updates are now out

10. Sensei

Sensei Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    Teacher, writer
    Japan
    Not a game so much but "ANother Monster at the End of this Book" has been updated to Retina. The app size is also twice as big. I'll get a new ipad eventually but for now I am worried my current apps will no longer fit on my iPad2. How much bigger have the games been coming in?

11. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    #72 earthclaw, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    So are these games retina ready/Upscaledx2? or are these games rewritten for the native resolution for the ipad 3? Wonder how this works from a developers stand point? Hence the huge file sizes?

12. TalKSicK333

TalKSicK333 Active Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I think Infinty Blade 2 has been upgraded....

13. PerfectDimension

PerfectDimension Well-Known Member

I think for games to claim they are retina ready, they must have rescaled art work specifically designed for the resolution on the iPad 3. This is does not mean upscaled 2x...this means completely separate assets at the correct resolution and hence with increased detail.

At Perfect Dimension, we used vector graphics for Save The Pencil, so we were able to rescale the graphics quite simply, retain their clarity and then add further detail.

From a developer's standpoint, this does, as you suggest, lead to some pretty large file sizes. Especially the launch images which are full screen 2048x1536! Aside from the graphics, it's a fairly simple from a developer standpoint. We are all used to iPhone retina display, and this works in the same manner. You generally position sprites on screen using points, which remain the same between all current iterations of iPads. It's just that each point on the retina iPad refers to 4 pixels as opposed to 1.

Hope this helps.

14. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Modern combat 3 and Order and chaos are in apple's list of optimized games for the new ipad so i guess their update yesterday included a resolution boost :)

15. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    #76 kevlar x, Mar 16, 2012
    I've been reading from multiple sources that MC3 is retina ready but there is no mention of it in the itunes description? Same with asphalt 6, no mention in the app description.

16. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yeah weird that gameloft would make no mention of it but they did the same with the full hdmi support on mc3. And if apple selected those apps i think it's safe to say that they are retina ready!

17. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

This is stupid-Mass Effect and Galaxy on fire both doubled insize for this stupid 4x update-
    Note to Ipad 3 buyers-dont get a 16gb-unless you can live with a few games on your device at a time

18. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #79 soldat7, Mar 16, 2012
    16GB is just fine as long as you don't feel the need to maintain your whole backlog on your device. I've been just fine on my 360 with only 13.9GB available space and demos and games are much larger on that thing.

Great explanation. Thanks!

19. janekm

janekm Member

Apr 1, 2009
    I can confirm that MC3 plays in retina res on my new iPad, though the textures are probably still the same as before, so that may be why they don't claim a retina display update...