The New iPad Retina Display Game Thread!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Borgqueenx, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Try This

Try This Member

Both Mini Touch Golf and Desktop Army will have iPad Retina support. Updates were submitted last weekend and awaiting approval. I just tested the updates on the iPad 3rd gen and they look incredibly sharp.

2. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

A friend in the US just confirmed that Zen Bound 2 does run in full retina res with the current build. The layout & detail fix is still waiting for approval.

3. Golden Hammer

Golden Hammer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Boston
    #103 Golden Hammer, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    Edit: I guess I'll do an update anyway and max out some values like AA. Found something fishy with my 5.1 build that confused me. Sorry about that.

4. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Built with a pre 5.1 SDK? I just set up my iPad and my current versions are definately pixel-doubled compared to the new versions waiting for review. The pixel doubling is really good though - not nearly as noticeable as on retina iPhones/iPods.

5. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Would you happen to have ZB2 or Stair Dismount to check? This definitely sounds curious.

6. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I took a quick look at Zen Bound 2 on my new iPad and it looks and plays fine.

7. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

It's weird slidetoplay is saying the exact opposite:
    "The difference is noticeable, if not exactly mind-blowing. Modern Combat 3 and Infinity Blade II have textures far sharper than you've ever seen on an iPad"
    http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/the-new-ipad-as-a-gaming-device

oh! Okay the menus and hud aren't updated yet:
    "For instance, as great as the environments and character models look in Infinity Blade II, the HUD-- which is made up of various icons and text overlays-- hasn't been updated, so it looks noticeably more pixelated"

8. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I grabbed a screen of Stair Dismount:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65425505/Photo%202012-03-16%204%2052%2020%20PM.png

On that screen you can see fairly clearly on the mesh edges that it's pixel doubled. On the iPad screen the 3D stuff actually looks really really good. The MSAA helps a lot.

9. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Ah, seems the AA in ZB2 fooled my friend too. So yeah, seems pre 5.1 sdk stuff is forced to run in low res. But for sure, upscaling antialiased frames looks darn good too!

10. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    My new iPad came today but I haven't had a chance to tinker with it yet, so I have two questions for everyone who already has their hands on one. :)

1. Do applications not optimized for the retina display look worse than they do on the first or second-gen iPads (like iPod 4 or iPhone 4S applications do)? Or do they look the same, but slightly worse than optimized apps?

2. Do retina-supported iPhone apps now look better when in 2X mode? I had heard that they do.

11. djones

djones Active Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Technical Director at Resolve Digital
    San Francisco
  12. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    *Everything* I have tried on mine has looked better....iPhone (2X) apps....Regular iPad apps......I have not seen one thing it didn't improve majorly !

I'm really impressed with this screen !

13. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks, I really can't wait now!

14. Ciechan

Ciechan Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Poland
  15. mcorleonep

mcorleonep Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I got my new iPad today (first one I've owned) but didn't download any games yet. I did however transfer a lot of the games on my iPhone 4S over such as GTA3, Sonic CD (both of which benefit from better controls with the big screen).

However one of my favorite iOS games also happens to be one of the most underrated and unknown. Anyone ever play Space Junk? Its a retro-style Asteroids game with the old skool style vector graphics which are optimized for the iPhone's retina display but not that of the iPad (the new one anyway). You can still see the tiny little pixels due to the high resolution nature of the display (kind of like any Wii game on my widescreen). Since it's not very well known, I doubt that this will get an iPad update. For any of your retro-gamers out there this is an absolute must!!! Check out this review. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lz9NON6obQ

16. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I hope Space Junk gets updated. I love it too.

17. Leadfoot5

Leadfoot5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
  18. Frennis

Frennis Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Sydney
    Mine too. Ace gets to about 880m and the game crashes out. A hard reset didn't help.

19. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY