The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    New Reload is up, this week featuring Phantasy Star 2. Why SEGA doesn't dump the other two Genesis Phantasy Star games and the other Shining Force onto the App Store is beyond me, seriously.

I'm actually writing the main review for that game. It'll probably be a long while before it's eligible for a Reload as a result, but at least you've got lots of words to look forward to, haha.

2. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Shaun all I can say is I love reading your RPG reloads man...you write so eloquently and keep me in touch with your words. Thank you for doing this for us. You've made me go back to the store on more than one occasion and get a game I haven't played in a while. Make me relive some earlier childhood memories and turmoils of the daily grind after school or faking being sick just so I could sit in my room with my newly acquired DQ or FF game on NES.

Thank you for that!
    Jake

3. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I can only do it because of the readers' support, so I'll swing those thanks right back at you! I hope you keep enjoying them.

4. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I would definitely scoop up Phantasy Star 4.

5. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Second podcast is up, albeit a bit later than we recorded it.

What do you guys think so far? We're going to try to bring in a third chair now and then just to mix things up.

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I love how each podcast has a main focus, but you both chime in on a few other games. I'm guaranteed to hear about a handful of games that are on my device every time I listen!

7. Nyambe

Nyambe Active Member

Jul 2, 2012
    #347 Nyambe, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    I'd like you to do a review on Brigandine. If you've never heard of it and love rpg strategy, go look it up asap

8. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Brigandine is awesome, but we only cover iOS games here, unfortunately. Maybe someday I might start a blog or something for non-iOS RPGs.

9. Nyambe

Nyambe Active Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Well the people behind the grand edition translation have a remake Brigandine game coming, so maybe you can review it.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah! Questlord is deserving of mention!

11. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    in transit
    Another great Reload, Shaun. I look forward to it every week.

Since you asked, I'll put in my vote for Undercroft for the next reader's choice.

12. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Thanks for the vote and the kind words!

13. mcorleonep

mcorleonep Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Good thing I found this thread. I downloaded Phantasy Star 2 last week after seeing the RPG Reload article. I rented it back in the day but didn't get very far. I was very in to the Super NES RPG's back in those days. Seeing as I'm almost done with PS2, I was curious about PS3 and PS4. Since neither is available, on iOS yet, I'll have to break out the old XBox and my Sega collection disc to try them out. To anyone who has played these, should I go to Phantasy Star 3 or go right to 4 which I heard is the better one?

14. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Phantasy Star 3 is really weird and irrelevant to PS4's story (although *very* relevant to PSO and its progeny), and a lot of people don't like it. I kind of appreciate some of the odd things it does even if I'm not a big fan of it on the whole.

That said - there are really only four games in the classic series, so you kind of have to enjoy each one to the fullest. If you are going to play 3, do it before you play 4.

15. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    #355 Zenfar, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    The Best

The Best video game articles I have read in a long time, perhaps because they are about games, the author has actually played them, and is knowledgeable about the genre, that and RPGs:eek: Also I think the theme of going back and playing classics is very cool with so many new iPhone owners all the time and with so many apps out there this columns really helps define the classics.

Just keep on going!

16. mcorleonep

mcorleonep Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Well I gave PS3 a spin on the XBox collection. As far as the graphics go, eccch!!! Even Final Fantasy 2 (now known as 4) on Super NES, the graphics blow this one away. However it does have a uniqueness to it so that I may try it out further. I also checked out PS2 and I noticed that the sound effects sound cleaner than the iOS version as the battle sounds aren't as crusty but as it is the sound effects on most Genesis games were crusty. :p

17. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, the Genesis emulator SEGA is using on iOS has major sound problems. Most official Genesis collections not handled by M2 have issues that way, though.

18. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #358 Andy C83, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Thanks for the QuestLord Reload, I enjoyed reading it. It's the only first-person RPG I've played and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get into. Yes, RPG's are a little out of my comfort zone these days but I've always been interested in and admiring of them. Looking forward to QuestLord 2!

My vote for a future Reader's Choice Reload goes to 'Ash'

19. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    in transit
    Yay! Looking forward to next week. This week was great, too.

But I'm afraid I have to disappoint you, Sean: I'm the kind of doc who teaches math, not the kind who is a benefit to society :(.

Or, to put that in RPG terms: I can help with min-maxing, but I can't do anything about that arrow to the knee :D.

20. Myqpalzm

Myqpalzm Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Pamulang, Indonesia
    Thank you for the great KOTOR review! If only the developer fixed the swoop bike controls, I could have conquered the swoop tracks in Manaan and Tatooine. The controls is just so frustrating, doubled by the fact that I played it on an iPhone 4....yup, lags doesn't combine well with awful touch control.