The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I've been wanting to try Tactics again. I bought it for the PS1 way back when but I just couldn't get into it for some reason. I remember thinking that it was just too complex and I didn't get very far into it before abandoning it for something else. I absolutely loved the Shining Force series so I'm not sure why I couldn't get into it.

2. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Dorter Slums is typically the point early on where people fall off. It is an unforgiving battle.

The game really picks up after that. You can grind to pick up more job classes early too. Once you start to really abuse the job system you'll be hooked.

3. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    I'd love to hear what you think about Transistor. I've been on the fence about getting it.

4. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Great story but I didn't like the combat. It's like it was an action game trying to be a strategy game. I think I would have liked it more if it were full on action.

5. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Ditto. I love Bastion. This will be my second try at Transistor. I know folks that swear by it, but the last run ended because I could not get into the combat mechanics.

6. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011

Nice :D How long did it take you? I'm trying to wrap up Trails of Cold Steel, but I think I have a lot left. September is SRPGSeptember on twitter so I want to continue my playthrough of Tactics then.

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Has anyone made a upcoming thread for Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition yet?

8. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    I don't feel like it was that long. FFT:WotL doesn't have the playthrough clock that a lot of the Square Enix games have. It's not actually a long game. Only 43 or so battles if you don't do the sidequests and don't have a lot of random battles. You'll of course grind, but if you play it right you can do a LOT of grinding in a very small amount of battles. This latest playthrough I did zero sidequests and was pretty efficient with grinding. So probably well under 30 hours.

9. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    #1709 OrangutanKungfu, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Interesting perspectives, here. I think I agree entirely on Transistor; I loved its style, but didn't find it as compelling as Bastion. The production values are terrific, and really help it go a long way, but the combat system felt like it fell between two stools of strategy and action. However, it became more interesting towards the end, working on more quirky and tactical combinations, and those who are big fans say it is a far better experience on a New Game+, which I can totally imagine. However, having gotten to the end, I didn't really fancy running through it again. Didn't help that it was a bit crashy on my mini 3. For all that, it is still worth playing. Love to see Pyre come to iOS.

I'm very keen to get a taste of FF Tactics too, and will probably get to it some time this year. I've massively slowed down my purchases and am just playing through a lot of backlog (in between stuff on Switch). After Chrono Trigger, I'll check out the next playalong. Otherwise, it'll be finishing off Dust, then maybe one of the DQs. IV, V or VI...

10. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Hm, interesting. The art looked pretty but the setting was really not one I'm attracted to, so I think I'll pass on Transistor for now. Thanks for the impressions!

11. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
  12. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    That's "Dai Gyakuten Saiban", a 3DS title that came out in Japan a couple years ago. We never saw it over here. It takes place in the 1800s and ties in a, uh, creatively different version of Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

I believe the official statement is that there are no plans to localize it. No reason to believe they would do so on iOS since they never bothered on 3DS.

13. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    the graphics and style looked like Ace except the main character must be same makers as Ace
    thanks for the info and with that in mind I will go ahead and buy it on the Japan App Store next week, thanks! I was gonna wait and see but no point since it wont be released outside Japan
    I also have read where this is the prequel to Ace Attorney is that true?

14. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Ehn, it is and it isn't. The main character is supposed to be Phoenix Wright's ancestor but it doesn't really have any strong connections to the other games. Just a fun side-series inspired by Layton Vs Ace Attorney. And yes, this is the exact same team that makes the other AA games. It's apparently not being localized because it heavily features Holmes and Watson and Capcom is a little nervous about the rights to those characters in the US, where they're still partially the property of the Doyle Estate.

15. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Thanks for the info
    Sounds very good to me
    I may check it out
    Super stoked about XV pocket edition, do you know if it has the fishing?

16. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Wondering if we'll be seeing an RPG Reload Special on Final Fantasy VII's North American 20th Anniversary. Anyone else celebrating today with this classic?

17. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Oo that's true. I should have done that! Actually I should be beating it. Hmm. But I have also been drawn to Final Fantasy VIII for months now so I don't know. Which one to play? xD

How are everyone doing?
    I'm playing FFIV Interlude right now, Final Fantasy Tactics for SRPGSeptember, Bastion and Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories. Trying desperately to play all the games before KH III. And replay those I have beaten.

18. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Winter what's up! How Are u ... kingdom hearts is great love them all

I just beat FF1 a few mins ago
    I did it without a warrior
    I went with Black Belt/Monk/Warrior as lead, a black and white mage/wizards and a thief/ninja
    What I did too was saved a separate file right after I got everything so that I can back to it for the extra dungeons later

19. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    As I mentioned in the Bastion thread, I just finished up Odin Sphere Leifthrasir on Vita. Surprisingly easy Platinum there. I enjoyed it? But I don't have the strong feeling of "this was awesome, 5 stars" that everyone else seems to. It was OK and fairly short, which I appreciated, but there were several times where I literally fell asleep during combat. I realize I have a nearly one-year-old child and I'm sometimes a little low on energy, but I usually don't fall asleep playing games. I doubt I'll play it again.

Otherwise, I just finished up my RPG Reload run of Bastion. This puts me in an odd position where I have no unplayed 3DS/Vita games left in my backlog! I've been working through the backlog ever since my daughter was born, since I haven't really had time to do console and PC stuff. Now I'm down to the following games in my non-iOS backlog:

- Xanadu Next (PC)
    - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 3 (PC)
    - Fragile Dreams (Wii)

I do also have two iPad games that I haven't started yet:

- Dust: An Elysian Tale
    - Legend of the Skyfish

If anyone has any thoughts on which of those five I should attempt to play next, please let me know! I spend an awful lot of time on my iPad playing board / card games like Sentinels of the Multiverse, Paperback, and Patchwork, but I can cut back on those to make time for either of those two. Or, start making an effort to get PC time (I've considered taking my laptop to work, where 1 hour lunches are mandatory; that would let me chip away at Trails 3rd or Xanadu Next).

20. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I should also note that GameStop is clearancing out Dragon Quest VII (3DS) and it's now been almost a year since it came out. (I should know because its release was very close to my daughter's birth.) I was holding out hope that it would make its way over here on iOS; I have 1-6 and 8 on iOS and have enjoyed having that particular series almost all in one place. But now, a year later and with a major retailer ditching it entirely, I'm thinking I might want to pick up DQ7 if I'm ever going to play it.

On a similar note, my local Meijer is clearancing out Bravely Second for $13. I enjoyed Bravely Default for a good portion of the game, but I had the misfortune to play through the entire second half of the game in one weekend, which really burned me out. I hadn't even been considering Bravely Second, but $13 seems like a pretty good price! If anyone has thoughts on that one, I'd like to hear them.