The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I have been exploring my China account more and i have managed to get some games working like Contra Mobile which is super awesome if you were a fan of the NES game also for RPG fans I am playing Legend of Heroes MOBA which is super rad
    Still can't get past the logins on FF Type O Online :( not sure if I ever will haha

2. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I really wanted to try that Type-0 game. I'm just disappointed in the online/F2P route with the mobile Type-0 games. I'd much rather have a solid, expensive app designed more like Chaos Rings III that takes place in the Type-0 universe.

3. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
  4. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Playing DQVII mobile at the moment
    I like the fact on the mobile version you can’t see the enemies on screen
    About 4 hours into it

5. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Beat Psaro and finished Chapter 5 Of Dragon Quest IV last night. That boss fight is just...wrong. I’m taking a shot at the bonus chapter just to spend a little more time with these characters. Party chat really fleshed out this game.

Once chapter 6 is done I’ll move on to Dragon Quest V. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it and I’m looking forward to it.

6. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    #1946 Dr.Traveler, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Thought I'd add a bit more in here. I really wish that younger me had taken the time to play this game when it came out. I found I really enjoyed the chapter structure, as well as the characters. I know a lot of articles online point out how closely Dragon Quest hangs on to it's formulas, but DQIV really felt like a solid experiment in how you structure the story. And it was a smart experiment. The main characters in RPGs are often blank slates and getting to know the party better really helped.

I still stand by my thoughts that DQIII is my favorite entry to this series, but I did enjoy this game. My favorite things it does:

• The characters all felt different. Even characters in the same class had different abilities.
    • The computer AI was not nearly as idiotic on the iOS version as I'd heard, and in fact was quite good.
    • The Estark dodge. Estark would be the final boss in a lot of RPGs and Psaro ascending to that role was quite good.
    • The ability to modify your team on the fly as long as the wagon is present was fun and opened up battles.

It wasn't all perfect though, a few things I didn't enjoy:
    • The wagon should have been more available. Caves, Shrines and Dungeons had the wagon either available or locked out seemingly withour rhyme or reason. It would have been better to have the wagon more available not less.
    • I HATE the key quests in Dragon Quest. It remains my least favorite RPG trope and it is still in DQ as of this entry. I'm guessing I'll be dealing with this for the rest of the entries.
    • Why were we given Sparkie at the end? That was very random.
    • The hero: He seemed to be a constant blank slate. His friend's return at the end was completely random and strange.
    • Maybe it's because it was my first time playing DQIV, but it would have been nice to learn about Rose and Psaro earlier. Psaro seemed like an interesting final boss that just didn't get enough development.

7. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    8 hours now into DQVII
    I have never made it this far actually on this one
    I hear it’s like 15-20 hours before you get jobs :)
    It’s a long but very good game I really enjoy it a lot
    To me it’s the best DQ on mobile

8. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    It's currently the biggest reason I have to learn Japanese, since we still don't have it here in the U.S. Any recommendations on learning to read Japanese?

9. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    15 hours 33 mins DQVII yay! Loving it

10. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    20 hours in! And I am about to take on the 6 boss gauntlet at the Allblades Arena! Hope I can win first go round
    jobs are very close!

11. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    YouTube and years of Learning
    The Kanji is the hardest part and I may never master that’ haha
    For time being use walkthrough videos of the English ds version might help just willl make for a super long play time haha

12. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Jobs!!
    My main is a bandit gonna master that then sailor so he becomes a pirate
    Other two for now Shepherd and Cleric
    I’m a little over 20 hours in!

Attached Files:

13. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    And with that, I’ve finished Dragon Quest IV. I brought back Rose, redeemed Psaro, and defeated Ammon. I could in theory go get Psaro’s final gear, but meh. I’ve backed up the save to the cloud and I’m ready to move on to DQV.

I think that the bonus chapter/alternate ending solved a lot of my open issues with the game. That was quite the adventure and I’m glad I played through it.

14. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Yay pirate :)

Attached Files:

15. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Oh man, now it looks like Halloween! That looks like a lot of fun.

16. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Now I’m a pirate, sage and gladiator
    I just took a break from pirate to max shepherd that way my hero can switch between pirate and monster masher
    I’m over 32 hours in right now looking at about 100 plus to
    Finish the way I’m playing it :)

17. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I'm to the fourth Stratum in Etrian Odyssey V. While the first and second stratum were just fine and felt a lot like playing the other games in the series, the third stratum was horribly unbalanced. Random battles were more likely to be one-turn party wipes than either the second or the third boss. Landing status effects on ~50% success rate was nearly essential to survival just to get through the 13th/14th/15th floors, even after slowly grinding money to buy the strongest available equipment and leveling to what was probably overkill (near level 40).

The worst part of it was that the cycle of gameplay went like this:

- Go into a new floor, get party wiped by a special move
    - Try a status effect to prevent that move, it doesn't work, get wiped again
    - Try a different status effect, it works, win a battle
    - Get into the next battle, get wiped

Etc, until I learned how to get around all the ways the third stratum can OHKO your party. It was really frustrating. Etrian Odyssey games have always been built to the point that if you die, it's probably because you're either (A) fighting a boss or (B) you stretched your party beyond its limits and should have teleported out a couple battles ago. This set of monsters completely turns that feeling on its ear.

Now that I'm in the fourth stratum, I've cleared three floors in the last 45 minutes of gameplay, the random monsters have been no threat whatsoever, and I all of a sudden have no money issues. I, uh, don't think this game was playtested very well.

18. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    DQVII
    My hero can now switch between pirate and my newly achieved Monster Masher :)

19. Mainaleygu11

Mainaleygu11 New Member

Feb 4, 2018
  20. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    DQVII Progress
    42 hours 42 minutes Completed the Nottagen and Providence pedals now tackling Hubble