The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    DQVII update
    i have finally hit a snag Cumulus Vex is one tough boss! My levels are good I just think I have the wrong vocations to win the fight so I am about to change them and see what I can do... no boss troubles until this point his Thin Air attack can wreck your party fast... Gabo is super close to Paladin and so I will grind a bit more and once he reaches Paladin I should be good... I am having some trouble understanding how to get and use Monster vocations so I am studying on that too
    I have battled through some tough times but this is a super excellent game and worth the effort!

2. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #1962 Dailon80, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Finally understand monster vocations
    And using them now, game changer
    gonna master a couple of these, my paladin, and then maybe i can take out Cumulus Vex
    update: took him down and moving on
    by the way like the 3DS version this one does have the download bar and extra tablets
    def over 100 hours content with this game

3. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Guys, what do you think would be the absolute very best rpgs for iOS (all kinds included)? Since my birthday is coming soon, I want to purchase everything I can until I get out of my cave again. lol

Thanks in advance!

4. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #1964 Dailon80, Feb 7, 2018
    Final Fantasy V,VI,VII,IX Dragon Quest V,VI,VII(japan only tho), VIII
    The World Ends With You, Secret of Mana, Romancing SaGa2, Y's Chronicles I & II, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite,
    Lunar Silver Star Story Touch, Vay, Asdivine Hearts, Djinn Caster, Alphadia Genesis, Fernz Gate, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Oceanhorn, Baldur's Gate, Evoland
    My favorite of these FFVI,VII DQVII The World Ends With You, Romancing SaGa2
    These are my favorites

5. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks! Got most of them, but I am getting now the ones I don't own yet. About DQ, is it like FF in which every game is a stand-alone story or do you have to play the older ones in order to enjoy it?

I've heard high praises from DQV but haven't the time to play the others before.

Edit: Would love to play BG, but I find it very intimidating. Maybe I am finally going to try it someday.

6. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #1966 Dailon80, Feb 7, 2018
    BG is super deep and does require time I have it but I just haven’t got deep into it yet
    DQ is like FF in that respect yes
    I would go V first
    I wish DQVII would release on mobile in West I have it from the Japan App Store and having now put proper time into it it’s my favorite RPG on the entire App Store so good DQ you can’t go wrong and I love the way DQ is made for mobile it’s portrait and one handed and on the surface that sounds bad in reality it works very good! Also you can rotate the camera and all that good stuff
    DQ I would almost recommend a walkthrough or guide on your first play of V that’s what I did and it helped a lot also helped me understand the mechanics etc

If you have never played a DQ game before get ready for a treat especially if you are a FF fan very similar games DQ just came first if I’m not mistaken
    The guy who does the art for DQ is the guy who does the art for Dragon Ball Z so that’s a cool tidbit
    But some people like it better than FF I think the stories are better for sure and the battles require more strategy
    And don’t be afraid of how old DQI is as it’s a lot of fun

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I haven’t played the old school ones like BG or Icewind Dale, but I picked up Ember and it seems like a newer version of those. It might be less intimidating to get into. But, honestly, all I’m looking forward to is Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition!

8. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Finished up the main story of Etrian Odyssey V today. While I was badmouthing the game a bit earlier - and I maintain that the third stratum is poorly balanced, possibly as an effort to sell DLC - the rest of the game was fun. Strata 1, 2, and 4 were in line with the other EO titles, and strata 4 and 5 both introduced new movement patterns and mechanics that kept me on my toes. Never had to change my original party, it was a pretty classic tank / 2x brawler / healer / mage group, and it always served me well. The only damage type I was a little short on was Cut damage, and really, that's not a common enemy weakness.

I might do the sixth stratum later, but I've just about maxed out what this party can do and I'm not sure what else I have to prove after beating the final plot boss and curbstomping the optional boss on 8F. For those who end up playing EO5 - make sure to fight that optional boss at least once, it's the only place where a certain song that has recurred throughout the series plays...

I'm a total sucker for recurring music. Fighting of the Spirit (Tales of Phantasia / Symphonia), Mission to Deep Space (tri-Ace), The End of Raging Waves/Winds (Etrian Odyssey), etc.

Anyway. I've got two other handheld RPGs in queue, both on Vita. One is the TRPG "God Wars", that I know very little about but seems to be reviewing well, and I haven't played a new-to-me TRPG since... uh... Disgaea 4 on Vita? That's been a while. The other is Ys VIII. I'm a big Ys fan, but I held off on this one because I was afraid NISA would screw it up somehow. Well, now the retranslation is done and posted, so I'm ready to jump in. The rest of my RPG backlog is all on PC for now, though I keep staring at Dragon Quest VII... it won't be available at Gamestop at clearance prices forever.

9. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Just got mine and am impressed so far.

I think I won't play anything else for a while...

10. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    So after being more or less bedridden for a week I have played a fair share more of DQ V which was exellent since my ipod is easy to hold. Also been trying to wrap up Bravely Default. Easier said than done.. On the last boss or next to last I believe and grinding a bit.

DQV is exellent and I made a page in my bullet journal for it to track minimedals, objectives and of course monster collecting!

I'm also still deep into Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Also FFXV came today. Haven't beaten it on ps4 yet, but I hope to play it after that. Maybe I will start it a bit, it looks amazing!

11. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I would say Romancing SaGa2. But it's not for everyone. It's now probably my second favorite rpg with only Xenoblade Chronicles 2 taking the lead. But I could see plenty of people hating it too.

I love love love having DQ I-VI on ios ! They sre must haves. I have VIII too, but it's probably the one that has the worst port.

12. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    back on DQVII today 66 hours 26 mins in :) job leveling right now

13. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    My favorites on iOS are:

- Final Fantasy Tactics (no surprise to anyone who knows me, as that is my favorite game, period)
    - Dragon Quest V (if I had to pick a DQ, that would be it)
    - The World Ends With You Solo Remix (a port that I feel elevates a very good game to greatness)
    - and for card game / RPGs, it's hard to go wrong with Lost Portal.

I am still working on Oracle of Ages, which is a bizarre experience playing it for the first time in 2018. Link's Awakening was my first Zelda game and is still my favorite, so I took to the gameplay right away. I'm breezing through so far, with my only hiccup being the really irritating trading sequence of my own stolen stuff that I had to do to unlock the third dungeon. Other than that it's been pretty easy, but apparently I'm in the minority in feeling that way. A coworker of mine said he had a lot of trouble with OoA, and he normally plays high difficulty stuff. Maybe I'm just so used to the original Game Boy mechanics of Link's Awakening that it's old hat to me.

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    My favorites are FFIX, FFXV, FFVI, FFIII, FFI, DQ VIII, DQ I, DQ IV, DQ V, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. But I love all FF, DQ, and MH games!

15. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    My favorite iOS RPG's? Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest III, Bastion, Final Fantasy VI, and Adventures in Mana.

I asked this in another thread, but should I assume the RPG play alongs are done along with the RPG reload? If so, that's a bummer. I didn't get into all of those but those were fun times seeing everyone make their way through games, or joining in for the ones I could.

16. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I was about to ask about the play-alongs as well. Was talking to a friend just recently about how much I enjoyed those - I hadn't replayed a game in quite a while since I've been focusing on my backlog and on new-to-me games like Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and it was fun ripping through old stuff and helping people out where I could.

Final Fantasy IX is also a stellar game that had a lot of care put into its remake on iOS. I haven't played it on iOS, but I watched my wife work through a decent chunk of the game and I dig the new controls. Definitely a lot more pleasing to watch and interact with than the pasted-on touch controls for FFVII.

17. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I finally figured out how to play DQ Stars and Rivals that are exclusively Japan and regionally locked
    VPN did the trick :)

18. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm not sure about the playalongs. I really wish them not to be done. It was bad timing for Icewind Dale unfortunately, but I really liked the playalongs. But even if they are done we could always use this thread or ask to get a playalong thread were we could play games together.

19. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Yep, I would join the odd playalong too. I didn't do all of them, but I did a few and I really enjoyed reading about other people's adventures. Shame about Icewind Dale!

As for favourite RPGs on iOS, I'm in agreement with most of you guys. Final Fantasy Tactics was a revelation - so glad I finally played it towards the end of last year. I'd now rank it up there with my all-time favourites on any platform. DQVIII is still the only DQ I've played so far (though I'll start DQIV some time this spring), but I loved the port. Thought it worked brilliantly in portrait mode, and had just two crashes despite the fact I played it when I was still on a 4S. FFIX is the best iOS port in the series, and also one of the best in the series anyway. And I'll throw out a shout for Ys - good gameplay, even better music and some of the best boss battles in ARPGs.

My all-time favourite is still The World Ends With You, though. Good art, decent story, superb music, and unique, brilliant gameplay.

20. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I miss the play-a-longs too. I think Shaun just doesn’t have the time now that he is spending more time writing his book. I’m all for someone else taking over for him.