The Other Brothers Coming April 4th

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Tavy3DA, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    #41 Darth Nihilus, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    Yeah, I think the same about this and RIOT, some people say it looks like S&S and I just think they're different.

2. steven0451

steven0451 Guest

Absolutely! This is a major draw for me, I'll gladly pay whatever price they want for this game now haha

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Love the trailer, looks great

But i'm nervous about the controls ! You mention 'Tuned controls designed to work on touch screens'

What does that mean ?

Will it be virtual buttons on screen ?

4. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    If you can somehow emulate Mos Speedrun's controls you'll be onto a winner with this one! Any idea of a release estimate?

5. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    We have such awesome and loyal fans! You guys rock. Look at what "Dado" created this time. Another piece of fan art...just wow!

[​IMG]

6. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Regarding the controls, I've spent a while throwing out controls and reinventing the wheel so to speak but basically I do some kung fu like the above picture:

1. it's a classic dpad that follows if you drift too far, however it also works like a traditional dpad in the sense if you dont drag, you can still tap left or right and it stays put.

2. it incorporates several gesture recognition tricks to best guess player intention to prevent the yo-yo effect that you get in touch games if you like to keep your finger on the screen. In fact just tilting your thumb in a natural way makes it behave like a real dpad does, you can forget it's even there and after a while you do.

3. the dpad can be scaled to different player desires but I am so badly overworked and overdeadlined that I cannot put the scaling option for dpad in menu options for the initial release. Likely you won't need it, but it is something I want to give the perfectionists out there who love to tailor the experience the way they want it. Update for that, I think.

User interface stuff is something I'm quite familiar with, we did Physynth - the experimental music toy, which is iPad only, but asked the question: "what if it was a real piece of vintage hardware you found in the garage?" basically, everything had to be physically modelled rather than virtual - so knobs have to be twisted etc. While TOB doesn't do anything like that, it shows we have done a lot of R&D into this subject.

There are other touchscreen related additions which basically combine touch velocity, touch position and duration with how close you are to jumping at the edge of a platform or when under attack, and prepare it so that if you were 0.01 seconds too late but were trying to intend to do this action, it will let you do it. This is basically fighting how limiting a touch screen is and trying to give player's will the priority.

I want to support iCade quite badly but I haven't been able to get hold of a test device in the UK. I emailed iCade about it but got no reply. If they read this and want to send me a test unit, I will immediately add it to the other brothers. Otherwise it will have to wait until I get time/situation to order one properly.

I really am working every waking moment on this game, hope you like it!

7. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    When in March and how much money should I put aside for this masterpiece tribute game ? :D

8. YekNoM

YekNoM Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Cant't wait for this awesome game. In point of controls, I'm pretty curious how the dpad will work actually.

That iCade debacle is a shame for iCade, I really hope you can implement it in future updates.

The game can come not quickly enough :)

9. Smiithyd

Smiithyd Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Uk
    Cant wait for this game it looks stunning! Been lurking for ages and just thought id actually post now!
    Ive been checking everyday to see when this is coming out!

10. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    @Aventador - It's going to be at the end of March. It may or may not slip into early April even but we will have to see how things go. One thing is for sure, we are wrapping Episode 1 up :)

@YekNoM - As Rob (Simian Squared) already explained - iCade support will be sometime later :)

@Smiithyd - Thanks for lurking and posting! The wait is almost over! Soon!

11. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Will I be able to play this on iPhone 4? My poor device is getting old (relatively)

12. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Yes you will be able to play this on your iphone 4. The game is going to be a universal release (iPhone, iPod, iPad, iPad Mini)

13. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    It's getting closer everybody! Soon you will be able to do some running, jumping, collecting and exploring! We are eliminating last bugs and we have tweaked lots of stuff to make sure it's fun and challenging!

14. Creamer2010

Creamer2010 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Poland
    I Must buy,when game out on App Store.

15. Smiithyd

Smiithyd Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Uk
    The wait is unbearabl now!!
    Been checking back everyday i must play this soon!

16. mac01

mac01 Active Member

Looks like a Lucas Arts game as far as the visuals go, so really cool! Can't wait to play it:)

17. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Lucas Arts games were awesome! The whole development team loves the classics what these guys put out back in the days.

@Smiithyd - Not that much longer! :)

18. Smiithyd

Smiithyd Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Uk
    Ah thats good to hear! Going on holiday soon need something good for the plane journey ha

19. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    I would advise to not play this on a plane for security reason. A crowd may gather around you while playing causing a weight shift and potential dangerous life threatening conditions ;) I have seen it happen (almost) :p

20. Smiithyd

Smiithyd Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Uk
    Maybe for the safety of the other passengers i wont then... wouldnt want them ruining there holiday indoors addicted to the game