The Pet Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Jan 15, 2013.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Another pet peeve: the dog hates her kibble, won't touch it unless there's no cat food avalaible and she's starving. Hence she's underweight, weighs about 60 pounds (LOW for a shepherd) and will CONSTANTLY eat the cat's kibble unless she's shooed away or something is covering it (which of course the cat hates).

2. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Restock the litterbox with TicTacs and Hershey kisses!

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Lol! Actually the chocolate would be pretty bad for her.

I was thinking more along the lines of a mild electrical shock every time she sticks her nose in...would work wonders!

4. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Do some experimenting or check online about nutrition. Find out what the ingredients are in both cat and dog food!?Maybe ask a vet or someone who can help. To me it sounds a little like an issue between your cat and dog?!? Very common by the way:)I don't know... Does your dog like bacon?

5. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    That's right forgot about chocolate!?! Yes shock therapy is the answer:)

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    She loves bacon! My bacon bunker just wasn't the same after she found it :p

Yeah we've tried about half a dozen different kinds of dog kibble. She hates it all. We haven't talked to the vet about it I don't think...she's due for a checkup soon anyway so I might just do that. Thanks.

7. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Are you trying to kill his dog?? :eek:

I don't see how that's relevant. I heard though, that who's got big hears has a big libido :D

8. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Hope your dog is feeling better soon:)

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Aw thanks :) she's fine though, just doesn't like her dog food. I don't really blame her :p of course it doesn't help matters that everyone likes to feed her leftovers, so she just waits until after a meal and cashes in. :rolleyes:

Primoz still has yet to say how his cats are so thin and fit.

10. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Ah the old dog trick to see what others are eating! Every dog tries this:)
    Primozs cats....I'd say shock therapy is involved:)

11. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Obviously you must have big ears!!!!!!:)

12. #72 Connector, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    The new cats that I am part owner of, actually primarily eat dog food. There are 4 cats there, two main owners and me as a part time owner. The main owner 2 college girls, feeds the cats dogfood cause I think its cheaper plus they have 4 dogs.

The other main owner a 50 something single guy feeds them dinner leftovers, so it can be anything. He lives in a house next door, and he took in one of the baby cats, I used to call her Two Tone, he named her Lili. The Mama Cat originally was owned by the college girls, but it got out one day, and got pregnant, and was never allowed back in again. So the college girls feed them dog food.

I go by there about every other day (a short walk), and I feed the cats cat food.

But kind of makes me laugh when the cats eat the dog food. But man, the cats are all kind of fat, so it must be ok for them. I started wondering, is dog food just a bigger version of cat food? Or are there differences. So I like you Jbruu have the same problem, only in reverse.

The attached photo shows a picture of Alley Cat, named because he was a stray since birth, known him since he was about 8 inches long. He eats dog food cause of the primary owner, and acts like a dog. I think he is a dog in a cats body now. I will explain in another post.

Attached Files:

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Cat food has more protein than dog food. Cats for some reason need more of it. That's the main difference as far as I know.

14. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    I once knew a cat called Schrodinger. He was a cat and also a dog. He was simultaneously neither a cat or dog. He liked Whiskas though!

15. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    #75 Capricornman, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    Just realized my response didn't make much sense...oh well
    Yeah you're probably right about protein needs for cats being higher but those wild dingos in Aussieland like to chomp on meat and bones so.....

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Wow no one else on TA wants to talk a little about their pets? :(

17. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Yeah it's sad:(
    I guess farts are more important and figuring out how to get SM3 on the iPhone from trustworthy websites...anyways
    I wish I had digital photos of my dog Bobo but that was way before digital photography. I'd post a photo here but I'd have to dig up the old photos and so forth. Anyways he's in my heart and memories and I'll say he was a great companion to my family for almost 20 years .
    Hope your dog is eating her food and give her a pat on the head for me:)

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Aw well thank you and I will. Keep those memories alive, too.

19. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    This is a pic of me and my Blackie. We got her as a kitten when I was around 8 years old. Sadly she passed away a couple of years ago, I was 28. I miss her. :( This photo was taken when I was about 18 years old.

Attached Files:

20. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    #80 Lost_Deputy, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    Haha Awesome thread!! I've met the lovely Faith before but its cool meeting Mačik, Mačka, Hebgen, Capricorn's Squirrel Squad, LOLavi's Tortoise Team, Joyoi's Pet Circus, 5duc29's Reptilian Renegades (and the chihuahua/terrier :)) , and the sausage dog that shall not be named.

It's also worth tipping the hats to our fallen furry comrades Bobo, the very missed Tiger, LBG's deer hunter, Arthur, Rex and the lovely Blackie.

psj3809's staffie sounded awesome! What a crazy weekend job dude! I've had a few staffie's before. I've had numerous pets. Too many to mention. However here's one of the many crazy pet moments I've had for anyone that's bored....

As we are talking about staffies I have to mention the staffie my mum brought back from the pound when I was living in Western Australia.
    She was small for a a staff and kind of precious.
    We lived on a farm so dogs needed to be able to rough it out a bit.
    When I picked up a shovel/broom/rake to do some work she would cower away.
    She had obviously been abused by her former owner.
    My Mum just adored her. Mum had an abusive father and kind of related to her. She named her Sassy and they had a really close bond.

As I was always out on the farm I never had much to do with Sass.
    She was always just looking after Mum.
    I always mistook her for a bit cowardly though.
    I grew up with dogs and, at the time, never had much time for the gentle side of them I guess.

On my brother's 13th birthday we had a stack of people over playing cricket out in the front yard.
    All of a sudden a few kids screamed and the parents jumped up to see what was going on.
    A massive 2m long Dugite snake had moved out onto the front yard where the younger kids were playing.
    The dogs all started going off but none of them chased.
    Meanwhile we got all the kids up into the house.
    While the rest of the dogs just stood at the edge where the bush met the lawn growling, Sassy charged through them and into the bush after the snake.
    Mum screamed knowing that precious little sassy would be no chance against a snake that size straight after winter (snakes venom gets more potent while they hibernate during the cold months).

Minutes passed until the bushes started rustling again and, to the amazement of my brother's party goer's (and the farm dogs) Sassy starts reversing out dragging with her this monster dead snake in her mouth.
    She dropped the snake at Mums feet and did the closest Hasselfoff impression possible for a small staffie.
    I grabbed the shovel and took off the Dugite's head and then quickly checked Sassy for a bite marks.

I couldn't see any around her neck and because staffies have short hair it was pretty easy to see.
    Mum grabbed Sassy and gave her a cuddle.
    Mum was standing with the younger kids when the Dugite had originally moved in.
    Sass had obviously protected her and was proud of her efforts:)

Sass then moved toward the me and started going crosslegged.
    She wobbled a couple times then fell over.
    By the time I bent down to grab her she was foaming at the mouth.

Mum and I raced her to the vet and called ahead to tell the vet what had happened and to prepare the anti-venom for our arrival. As I raced Sassy in she was lifeless.

The vet slammed a shot of the anti venom into her along with some adrenaline. Mum just kept patting Sass's lifeless body.

All of a sudden Sassy springs up onto her feet and starts licking Mum.
    The adrenaline had kicked in.
    The vet did a couple checks and didn't look too pleased.
    He said the venom was too potent and it was time to say our goodbyes.

My mum still talks about Sass in the same way she talks about our lost friends and family and IMO deservedly so.

Sorry for the long winded story.

Great thread though :)