iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jerry hunter

jerry hunter Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    It's about freaking time. :DTYVM

2. Kaos999

Kaos999 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Australia
    An item named after me? That'd be pretty cool.

I'd want a broadsword of some kind. I like big swords. =P

I'm sure there's other people who'd deserve an item named after them more, though.

3. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    The sword of juice! It could deal poison damage and absolutely pwn everything :D

4. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    Kaos Sword sound compelling.

Sword of Juice? Sword of Flowing Juice doesn't sound so bad. : )

5. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Does that mean you'd like to have an item named after you? : ) OR you're happy about the Quest wiki? : )

6. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    I just started HoLIV, and within a few minutes the game was starting to feel more stressful than fun for some reason; kinda how a bad grindfest RPG can feel late in the game. I decided to instead try playing HoLIV from the standalone app with a new character and it made all the difference. I think there was a lot of little things piling up on my main character that made it stressful:

- Storing all my past key items and unique weapons and armor
    - Inventory cluttered with tons of outdated stuff, and having to constantly clean house to lighten the load
    - The 4 permanently broken quests in my active quest log (2 new ones from Asteroids..)
    - Being pretty much invincible and able to one-shot every single monster since HoLIII, including final bosses. As fun as this is at first, I think it nullifies the very important aspect of RPG-combat from the game and made it all just a big chain of fetch quests.

And most importantly:
    - The massive lag at high levels when opening doors and talking to NPC's. From what I've heard, every time you gain a level it adds a microsecond of lag. However, when you start a new game in a standalone expansion automatically at level 45, it seems to count as level 1 for the game engine! No more lag!!!

I recommend trying this if anyone is getting tired of the game. There's a lot more expansions to go, after all :).

7. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    We are going to try to get around those problems that you get when playing at a very high level by having new expansions start from Matras and you should start a new character. We have four such expansions coming up. The game play should be fun. The story line should be captivating and you will get to use magic again. We're trying. I know playing at a super high level has its joy but there are costs. It's Economics 101: guns and butter. Or swords and whatever butter was in Medieval Times. : ) I think it was still butter. : )

8. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Does that mean you want an item named after you. : ) ) ) )

9. marrybrown

marrybrown Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    graphics looks stunning. but still doubt that it is worth buying for that price

10. Juicebox_R

Juicebox_R Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    It's totally worth it as long as you are a rpg fan that is willing to put some time and thought into an amazing game.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    If you like turn-based role-playing games, then you'll find no other games that can match the bang-for-the-buck that The Quest (and it's expansions) provide.

(Obligatory mention of DragonBane II, which has crusty old PalmOS era graphics, but was on sale for a buck at one point, and does indeed come close to The Quest's breadth of gameplay... ;))

12. Kaos999

Kaos999 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Australia
    Go try out the Lite version then. You can transfer your progress across to the full version if you get it, so you've got nothing to lose.

13. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #2233 Catacomber, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    I know this is an odd request but I need testers who can test our (Zarista's) Quest expansions on PC before they are given to iphone testers--because testing on pc is faster--it's easier to download and replace the game and a few other things. And I can't have any more iphone testers right now because there are limits I have to abide by.

So if you can do it please let me know. You can get the pc version of the Quest from Redshift at www.redshift.hu. It's 9.99. OK I'm sorry about that. I know it's a whollllllle lot of money.

I would love to have you and I need you. : )

I really need you. All I can promise you in return for your 9.99 is some excitement. You will be in the game and have your own item to give and if you want to add your creative input to the game in terms of the quest you give you can (if I can do it : ) ) and my testers have always had a feeling of belonging to a history of dedicated testers and the Quest. It's a family and a clan but more importantly it's a lot of creativity. Without my testers our expansions would still be fun--but think about the testers you've run across in the game and what they added to it and what they in turn got out of it. I know you don't really know but they do.

That's all I can offer you.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Damn, I wish I could help, but these days I rarely turn on my PC anymore. :(

What sort of level requirements would I need to play these expansions? I definitely wouldn't have time to replay the main quest on my PC right now...

15. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    I have enough now thanks but I could use one more so if you'd like to try--you don't need to replay the quest--Ratz is same level as entry level of the base game--you have to start a new character. : ) Just let me know. I'd love to have you. I'd need your email address and you'd have to register at my website. I send the file by email but the forum is there.

Thank you. : )

16. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    wait seriously
    we've paid for The Quest and tons of expansions on the iPhone. And you wanted people to pay AGAIN to beta test on the PC?

You know it's a service to YOU, right? Beta testers? It's fun to play the game, but there's a responsibility behind it. You're not playing it to enjoy it, you're playing it to see if it breaks (and hopefully along the way have fun). I realize you don't want to 'give away' the PC version, but that's ludicrous. And it sounds REALLY lazy. What's the #1 biggest feature request for The Quest anyway? Better quest tracking (i.e. telling you WHERE you were supposed to go or WHO to talk to so you don't walk around aimlessly for hours). How about instead of rushing out more expansions you take some time (and yes I know it would take quite some time) to go back and add it. AT THE VERY LEAST, just flag the conversations in a quest so you can "replay" them at any point later!!!! I'm starting to really dislike you guys as developers and it's a shame because you've put out a pretty good game. How many years has it been and you haven't put that feature in?

17. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I have no comment on the betatesting part, that's Zarista games decision.

However, Zarista games are only responsible for their expansions. They are not Redshift. So they can't add any features to The Quest. They can write more detailed instructions for the quest list and they can write the npcs to give more detailed instructions (or repeat what they've said), but that's it.

That said, there are two reasons why we haven't added a better quest system to The Quest. The first and more important is that I'm the only programmer. :) And I'm not even the original programmer. I was only responsible for the 2D/3D graphics engine originally. Our other programmer has left us a long time ago. I've ported The Quest to the iPhone and fixed countless bugs, but there is a limit to what I can do. I need to work on our future games.

The second reason is that The Quest was designed this way. It's an old school game in many ways. There never was an intention to hold the hand of the players. They should find (and remember) stuff themselves, it's part of the gameplay.

But don't worry, I don't really share this viewpoint. Our next RPG will be much more player friendly. :)

18. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Good to hear about a new RPG developed by you guys. Any more details on that?

19. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Ahh, no, sorry. It's too early for that. :p When the time comes, we'll try to make sure no one misses any details regarding our new games. ;)

20. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Ah, too bad. At least this much information: is it going to be a port or a game developed for this platform? : D