iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    I'll check the enchanters in Asteroids for you tomorrow night when I get back from vacation but I think Fetharyne (Freckles) in the east has high enchant too. : )

HOLIII does have pretty tough monsters so playing Asteroids first is a good idea. : )

HOL2 ends when you get the reward from the Tzar if you're good or when you end up in limbo if you're bad but I think I changed the ending of HOLII in the iphone version so you weren't in limbo forever---will check when I get back from vacation tomorrow night.

There are 2 parts to the Gray Steppes--it's a pretty big place--did you explore both parts? Did you meet Broono and free the family hiding in the little hole there?

2. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    To answer someone's question about fighting the Ents in HOLIII, this is advice from Moth on fighting either the Frost Ents in Asteroids or the forest Ents in HOLIII.

This advice works for any Ent:

"A potion of fortify magic, fortify manna, dress in your attack magic suit (what do you mean "you don't have one" make one!) and try lightning bolt or fireball. Frozen tree defrosted in an instant or two!"

: )

3. revol

revol Member

May 22, 2010
    Catacomber, I'm trying to save you, but I can't open the door! I've boosted my Lockpicking to like 87, so when I try it it says my chances are 'very good', but I always get nuked. I'd assume I would have to Disarm, but that's not an option, since Argimon's dungeon is magic-free. What am I missing?

4. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Most doors in HoL1 and all future expansions are impossible to pick; you have to go and find the key.

5. revol

revol Member

May 22, 2010
  6. revol

revol Member

May 22, 2010
    Ok, now I'm really clueless. I CANNOT find Catacomber.

I have all six keys, and all of the doors unlocked.
    I have the Strange key.
    I did the Czehk Flag puzzle, I heard the scream.
    I completed the 13 switch puzzle.
    I have 87 lockpicking.

I have saves where I haven't opened the bone door in the middle of the map to Norbert, and I have saves where I got the cap while keeping him alive.

From what I've read on Cata's forums, there's a locked bone door in the NE corner of Argimon's dungeon? I don't recall this. Is this the D6 door from Argimon's map on the forum?

I fear that my game is bugged and Catacomber is missing... because I'm also certain the same thing happened to Tsar's wife. I think I'm ready to turn her quest into her... except she's no longer in the hospital. See, I've been keeping a mark in the hospital for nearly the entirity of my game. I marked right where the storage hole in the wall is (not the one you're supposed to put the potions). I'm pretty sure I marked that spot while Tsarina was there. Did I make her disappear?

7. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Revol are you playing with autosave on or off? You should be playing with it off if possible.

Here is where I am:

[​IMG]

Sniffle. Waiting to be saved.

8. revol

revol Member

May 22, 2010
    Got it! I must've been strafing along that hallway and not have noticed what happened there. Thanks! And no, I know better than to be auto-saving. I'm just aggressive about saving at some times, especially in a dungeon like this.

9. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #2309 Catacomber, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    Does "got it" mean you saved me from having to eat rats in that little, tiny room I was imprisoned in by Norbert? : ) I am a vegetarian. : ) So starving until am released by some Hero! : )

I hope it was you. : )

10. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Our seventh expansion is in testing: Ratz, Tower in Your Pocket.

How do you feel about developing a new character? Ratz will start from Matras and you should develop a new character to enjoy fighting again with magic and all the other joys of being a low level character with challenges.

I'm testing and having an enormous amount of new found fun fighting from scratch and figuring out all the wiles you need to conquer monsters and fighting with magic again!

Of course if you play with a high level character, you can be a god. That has it's own attractions, but it can't be as much fun as I'm having with my level eight guy. Should finish at about level 21. : )

11. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Will there be an Ipad version? playing it now 2x but is getting blurry

12. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I picked up The Quest Gold a couple months ago. I haven't had much gaming time since but I'm getting back into it. Is there any sort of guide online that lists the expansions and what levels they are for (recommended starting level)? I like to sort of plan what expansions I'll do in what order and I also want to know which ones, if any, I need to roll a new character for.

Awesome game by the way!

13. Elendil / Redshift

Elendil / Redshift Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    We really would have liked to create an iPad version, but it's just not feasible, sorry. :(

It'd be way too much work (because of the way The Quest was originally created). I'm the only programmer and our new games just won't write themselves. :) (And before you ask, we'll talk about our new games when the time is ready. :p)

14. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    All the expansions are listed on our homepage (www.redshift.hu) in the iPhone section, in the recommended playing order. Which is the release order so far. :)

But to sum it up:
    • Islands of Ice and Fire - level 14
    • Hero of Lukomorye I - level 22
    • Hero of Lukomorye II - level 32
    • Mithril Horde - level 35
    • Hero of Lukomorye III - level 38
    • Escape from Asteroids - level 40
    • Hero of Lukomorye IV - level 45

You don't need to start a new character (in fact, the expansions so far are designed to be played continuously, one after the other).

15. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    So i JUST got this game...and im in this village. Is there a quest log..or anything? I'm a noob at single player RPGs. :(

16. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    Yes, there is a quest log. :) If you want to be methodical, you can read the help (last option on the main menu) and/or the manual.

Or you can just look around in the game. The main screens are the game screen, the player screen (touch the portrait of the character), the map (touch the map) and the main menu (where you can save/load your game into different slots).

The Quest is an old school styled game, there is not much handholding or extra help for the quests. You are expected to look around, find things and remember where they are. :) (There are spells which make this much easier...)

Save frequently, in different slots, and don't be afraid to restart the game if you think your character is hopeless. :) The game is about exploration in a large part.

You can also find lots of guides at playhaven.com

17. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks so much!

Are the stories connected or is each expansion essentially it's own storyline? Finally, if I were to run through the full storyline in the original game, would that be enough to get me to level 14 to hit the first expansion or do I need to plan on some grinding?

18. Elendil / Redshift

Apr 14, 2009
    Islands of Ice and Fire has it's separate story (connected in a minimal way to the main story). The rest of the expansions were created by a third party (Zarista Games) and have their own, connected, storyline. The Hero of Lukomorye series is obviously connected, but the remaining two is tied in too in some ways. Although Asteroids only very minimally. :)

You can play the games continously from the very start of The Quest to the end of HOLIV, without any grinding. In fact, I think you'll be at least slightly overpowered if you do everything. :)

The levels mean little in The Quest, after a while the equipment and your skills matter much more. Especially skill and attribute raising equipment. :) You can correct any imbalance in your character with properly enchanted equipment.

19. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #2319 Catacomber, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    I think that this might help--

After the Quest, you can comfortably play the Quest Official Expansion-

Then start the Hero of Lukomorye series developed by myself and Dr. Vlad--we are Zarista Games. After HOLI--Mithril Horde should be comfortably playable--then play the HOL series in order--II, III and IV. HOLV should be coming after the holidays.

Asteroids is playable comfortably after HOLIII, imho.

The HOL series is a connected story. Mithril Horde spins off that story and soon we should have Mithril Horde II.

Asteroids is completely unconnected but lands you in a familiar world of fighting for glory. : )

Asteroids II is in the works. : )

Ratz (The Cursed Chess Set) is coming next--the story is not connected to previous stories but we hope it will engage you.

With Ratz, we are restarting levels so that it is level 1 playable from Matras to offset some of the problems playing at the higher levels caused--like game lag. You can play with your godlike level--and we put in a high level for the highere level players. But we recommend that you restart with a new avatar so you can have more fun.

20. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I've put some time in after having trouble the first go around and I'm really enjoying the game now. I found it was way easier to start as a battle mage than as an assassin. That burning hand spell saved my butt many times.

The game is excellent. I really appreciate the amount of detail that was brought to it, such as all the great lines you can read when knocking on doors or visiting the fortune teller. I went to the brothel and now I have the wart! :D Hilarious.

By the way, I believe I was framed for murder in Vastares. I don't remember killing Lord what's-his-name. Oh well, off to try to cure my wart!