iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. yankjenets

yankjenets Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    You can either buy enchantments from a shop or use a spell to add stuff like drain health/mana or add permanent stat bonuses to armor and weapons. AC is just how much armor points the armor adds (I'm not sure what the "c" stands for).

You can hold it to continuously move (unless an enemy is following you, in which case it is a turn-based-like system). The map may seem overwhelming, but you actually can maneuver around it pretty fast, either by walking, taking ships, or using the mark spell. I don't know if I would call the open-world aspect as absorbing as Oblivion, but I would definitely recommend it.

Edit: Beaten by jawslover :/

2. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    np :cool:

3. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Different items allow a different maximum amount of magical enhancement. You'll read in their descriptions something along the lines of "This item is moderately enhanceable." Many don't allow any enhancement, others might allow up to 60, 100 or 200 points worth of enhancements. You can then apply various enhancements (the options depend on the type of item) either through your own magical abilities, if you trained in environmental magic and have learned the spell to do so) or hire an enchanter to do it.

AC stands for armor class. The higher it is, the better. Increase your AC and you'll take less damage in your fights.

4. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    well, I'm undead, and enchanted my maul (heavy weapon) at a shop, with undead HP. I can't really tell what it's doing for me. Thanks!

5. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I think there's around 150ish outdoor "zones", each of which is a 21x21 grid. Then there are the also the indoor and underground dungeons.

I believe there are four towns, some of which take up multiple zones.

I'm not sure about the number of NPCs in the game, but the cities definitely feel "alive" with folks.

6. thank you for the link to that forum ! <3

7. SurgE

SurgE Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Singapore
    #127 SurgE, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
    Awesome game, I am already addicted to it :)

I wrote and submitted a short review to the Singapore App Store(username: xpsg), hope it'll help persuade more people to buy this.

I was wondering if the quest log can be made more useful by tracking the quest progress for quests. i.e:

1. Quest Log says "Find person A"
    2. I found person A, who tells me to gather something for him
    3. The quest log should reflect the quest progress to "Gather XXX for A"

The current quest log just tracks the initial quest, which is quite counter-intuitive as a player might come back to the half done quest after a long time and lost track of his/her quest progress.

8. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    ok, heres my problems and improvement suggestions:

1. i think you should be able to choose whether you play as a necromancer, sorcerer or warrior in the card game (necromancer!)

2. online cards could be reeeeally cool.

3. i do get lag when im just walking around, that gets pretty annoying...

9. Sylon/Redshift

Sylon/Redshift Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions - I can't promise the next version will contain anything, but we'll do what we can.

Myrobotwillneverdie: if you enchant a weapn with undead hp and you're an undead, until you use that weapon (just take it in your hand), your hp - health - will be increased.

SurgE: we can't do an always active and self-modifying quest log (it's not in the game engine), but can make it better - I mean richer, longer, more detailed, when there is too less information about the current quest.

jupiter21: we'll make an independent fantasy card game soon, there you'll be able to choose which decks you will use - in The Quest it's just a little addition, which is OK as it is I think, just for a little fun. Let's say the innkeepers are always choosing the decks in their inn. : )

Mhans13: huh, you've found very good ways to get ride of those monsters, congrats! I thought you can't cast paralyze or use the back entrance of that inn because you are just a beginner who walks around in the first village...

10. dominator

dominator Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Hi Sylon,
    I follow The Quest since my treo 600, i've played a lot of time the main game and free expansion (not the official one)
    So i have a simple question, since i'm an huge fan and an avid player, do you plan to add the official expansion (Hugo if y remember) and the homemade one ?
    I know the SDK is litle limited on add package to a game, but i really want new quest :p
    Litle idea pop up also, if you plan to make the Expansion not free, just released the news app and update the main game to alllow it to send the save to an online storage, then redownload it in the expansion one. All this with the UUID of the device. It is like Aurora feint in fact.

Whats your plan ?

11. chiscolavi

chiscolavi Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hello Sylon!

I wonder if there are plans to translate the game into Spanish, i think The Quest is a great game I would like enjoy it in my language.

Thank you and sorry my poor english!!

12. Leon1968

Leon1968 Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Quest==ions

I tried to register at pdaground to ask a question but I couldn't register. I did find another website however where Quest questions are answered:

http://www.catacomber.com/

You don't even have to register--just email him using the Contact thread and you get a really quick reply.

13. Sylon/Redshift

Feb 21, 2009
    dominator: yes, we'll release the official expansion (and probably some 'homemades' too). We don't know the exact way of releasing it, but we're working on the trick... If we can't find any good solution we'll release it as a standalone independent game. It will look like The Quest's demo. : )
    Anyway, I'll forward your savegame idea to our programmer.

chiscolavi: well, there is way too much text in the game to just translate it to any other language quickly, and also the game engine was not developed in this 'multi language' way, so I don't know... Currently not. But who knows, probably if we'll have time for that, we'll do some translations.
    And don't worry about your English, mine is also far from perfect. : )

14. dominator

dominator Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I hope you will find a good solution, because standalone expansion are odd... Imagagine you have to back in Matras or Vastard for some shopping or quest :S
    The better solution is to add the expansion in the main game so far :D

I count on you, It is the best handlet RPG i ever played i won't let it death

15. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Sylon/Redshift, I like The Quest a lot and am enjoying not just this or that about the game but the total experience. I gave my PSP away and games like yours are a sign that the iPhone/pod are the wave of mobile gamings future. This game is pretty wel structured like with regard to character to enemy difficulty level, the ammount of magic available at each character level etc..

I think I read in this thread earlier that you are the graphics designer. If you are my words are: GOOD JOB! The characters, backgrouds and interactive objects in the game lend to the story and bring personality to the feel of the game nicely.

Richard

16. chiscolavi

chiscolavi Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Ok, then I think it will be a good opportunity to improve my English...because i don't miss it!! ;)

17. Sylon/Redshift

Feb 21, 2009
    Sorry again, chiscolavi, I know how hard is to play with a serious RPG which was made in other language... (F.e. check The Quest in the German App Store, most of the criticism there comes because of the game's English language...) But we simply cannot afford now a full translation with the programming it needs.
    Right now we're working on the new version's modifications, like the 'pop up' virtual control pad which will appear if you touch the screen, just to help you navigate in the game. Also the quest log will improve to have more info about the quests.

dominator: don't worry, we'll do the trick somehow! : )

rich_952000: thanks! Well, the game was mostly made by four persons - a main programmer, a 3D programmer, an artist & designer, and a 'helping hand' (the only with English mother language to fix our text and write some great sidequests).

18. nuclearpunkrocket

nuclearpunkrocket New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Is there a way you could make it so you could choose which side of the screen to make the control bar too? I ran into this problem when I was cooking breakfast the other day, using my right hand to flip eggs while my left hand did nothing, wanting to play the quest.

19. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Quite a specific example!

It would be nice if the game let you move continously by swiping the screen, then maybe you could have an option to replace the arrow keys with status information. At the moment, I finding swiping too tedious. Also, why no mp cost in the cast spell menu?? You have to look in the main menu.
    Btw loving the game.

20. Ecko7123

Ecko7123 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    i was on the fence about getting this but i bought it last night and ever since i cant stop playing i havent even played my other games, one question does any one have a strategy guide for this becuase it can be somewhat hard when i get a quest get killed midway and not know if the quest is still active or not lol.