Universal The Silent Age (by House on Fire)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Feb 22, 2013.

1. RampageDeluxe

RampageDeluxe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks, how much is it normally?

2. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    It was 4.99$!

3. RampageDeluxe

RampageDeluxe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Awesome, thanks!

4. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Finally got around to playing Episode 2. It is longer, and I had more fun with it than the first episode. While there is only one "puzzle" that I recall where taking an action in the past changes the future, I think it was probably wise not to use that mechanic too much. Some thoughts:

When did Joe tell the Doctor to fake is death to the earlier version of Joe? It seems that, in order for this to have occurred, Joe would have to have failed, after first talking with the younger version of the doctor, then gone back to the island and told the doctor to do it. The problem with this is that there would have had to have been a third Joe wandering around Archon at the same time and in the same way that Joe is going about it when we actually are playing the game. I can understand that that could possibly have been a closed time loop and therefore perceived ONLY by the doctor, but I felt there should have been more explanation. Did that version of Joe simply die from the flu and then get dumped in the lake at the Doctor's house or something and then have his advice overwrite that outcome, thus assuring the success of Joe in the timeline we play the game in?

Also, was the idea behind the virus that a flu originating in the early 90s would be extremely deadly against the immune system of somebody who had not been present in time the previous couple decades?

5. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #205 Intendro, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    Joe didn't tell him to fake his death, he did it himself to make the things the "past Joe" experienced be "the same" to avoid causing a time paradox.
    ...Or did the recent update alter the story?

I think that was the idea with the virus. This was like a completely different virus which they had never experienced before, because of skipping time between the present and future.

6. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    When Joe goes back to Archon and encounters Lambert after the earlier Joe had left, Lambert tells Joe it was Joe's idea for Lambert to pretend to die earlier than he was actually going to. Maybe I read it wrong. This was actually before I applied the latest update. I understand why Lambert would have thought to do this himself; I get that completely. However, the idea that Joe at some point altered the present in a manner that he was himself subject to--and in the incarnation that we play the game as--is very evocative. But, the way the time logic of the game works, and it's otherwise consistent, if Joe DID tell Lambert to do that, we would have had to have seen Joe do it. It doesn't work to have a "time clone" Joe running around unless we are playing as the "time clone." Ergo, it works that Joe sees himself from earlier in the game, but not so much the idea of another, more knowledgeable Joe existing behind the scenes.

7. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Maybe... or maybe I read it wrong, I don't know. :eek:

Maybe I'll replay the game soon, but I have several other games to play so that's not likely right now. :p
    (I know I could pick a chapter, but still...)

8. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I just watched a video on youtube of that part of the game and it appears I did read it wrong at the time, heh.

9. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Downloading this great looking game

10. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    wow this gem just got a Massive update!

One of the best adventure game perhaps
    New Ultra-HD visuals, English character voiceover and over 20 achievements!
    I can't wait to start the adventure again!!

PS: the app's size is MASSIVELY increased to 3.75GB, look forward to it :)

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Welp...that was painful. After having The Silent Age on all my devices for years, I don't really know what compelled me to take a look at how much space I had left on my iPhone. Finding this bloat up to 3.5 GB (with Lull4by reporting it as 3.75 GB) and actually sitting above Grim Fandango, as the first game on my list? No frickin' way. It hurt, but I had to delete it. :/

12. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Can I still get the IAP chapters if I download the last compatible version?

13. I had deleted it and reinstalled it and it was like I never had. I had access to each chapter without having to play them over. So even though it doesn't seem to be listed under iCloud, I think it has it. Either that or it now downloads with all chapters unlocked? Either way, doesn't seem to be any reason to keep it installed permanently, unless you play it on a regular basis.