Universal The Silent Age (by House on Fire)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Feb 22, 2013.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks for the update. I'm really glad part 2 is getting made. I knew when I donated there was a risk it wouldn't work out and I'd get nothing so extra glad I'll get part 2 for "free".

I also hope that it gets more attention and makes more money as a paid app. This game deserves a wide audience!

2. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I have just finished The Silent Age chapter 1 and it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience! Would gladly buy part 2, of course.

I just have one request - if you make part 2 an in-app purchase, please make it possible to start it without playing through part 1 again. iDevice space being at a premium and part 2 being quite a way off, etc.

Thanks again, Devs - you've made something special there and it was very generous of you to share it with us for free.
    Donation IAP would be a good idea too, IMHO. I don't want to set up PayPal in order to donate, but would like to pitch in to speed up the episode 2 completion.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm glad you have to pay for episode 2. I think it was risky asking for donations for episode 1 (and making it free), lots of people love a freebie sadly and dont realise how much work is put into the game.

I would make the sequel $2.99 at least, looking forward to it though

4. steven0451

steven0451 Guest

Wow, just wow. This has to be one of the best iOS games I've played to date.

Brad and Eli definitely need to do a TA Plays and maybe post a review about it as well. This game deserves more coverage and I wish the developers the best of luck in developing part 2. I can't wait to see what come next!

5. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Just finished episode one and I have to say it is easily one of the best games out there. Absolutely stunning and engrossing-- I couldn't put it down! I'm hoping episode two comes out soon, and is a standalone paid app rather than an IAP. (I had to delete the game because of space constraints, and don't want to play through it again...as much as I liked it!)
    :)

6. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Same here!

7. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #107 Andy C83, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    I know I'm late but, I just played this.. and it's absolutely stunning. Remarkable.

/makes donation for Episode Two.

8. ~[KaBoom]~

~[KaBoom]~ Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    student
    like the art, the background music! Absolutely loved the story too I can't wait to read about the sequel! Donated to support Ep2 for sure :)

not a huge fan of this particular genre but it was a prestige game! If a jump-scare kind of factor is added I'm sure it would attract more excitement-seeking players to it!

idea to switch between time dimensions with the time machine was also creative!

9. House on Fire team

Aug 10, 2012
    Indie games company
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Hi everyone.

Apple just (well, a few days ago) approved our latest update of The Silent Age. We have added IAP so people can now donate from within the game.

We have also tried to reduce the memory footprint of the game, especially Chapter 4 was tricky for some players. This should be much improved now. Let us know how it works for you.

We have been hard at work on an Android build of Episode One. Hopefully this will get the game to a broader audience, and help push our donation bar across the goal line :)

Cheers
    Uni

10. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    For some reason I missed this whenever it was released and only discovered it a few hours ago. I booted it up to check it out and didn't stop till the credits rolled, I can't even remember the last time I've done that with a game. It was a cool experience and from reading a few of the comments above, it looks like it'll be continued with a next instalment on the way which I'll gladly lay my money down for. Thanks to the developers for making such a cool game, I loved the vibe, the story, and the gameplay the whole way through.

11. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    #111 coderkid, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    Heard about this game on Vsauce3's latest App All Knight episode. Really looking forward to playing it!

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    You're in for a treat - it's quite excellent. Anybody who hasn't played this yet - do it now.

13. coderkid

Nov 5, 2010
    I'm surprised TA hasn't reviewed it yet. I'm in Chapter 3 - the machine, I think it's quite good.

14. coderkid

Nov 5, 2010
    Just finished playing it. Bit on the short side, but it was pretty fun while it lasted.

15. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I sent in a request awhile back asking them to spotlight this. Obviously they didnt. I still think this game was great and a must play for anyone who likes this kinda game.

16. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    #116 November's Chopin, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
    This game deserves "game of the week" award simply just for the amazing storytelling description.
    Instead of the usual garbage description most games put in that insults people's intelligence, this dev actually took the time to write up something that intrigues people.
    A suggestion to the dev: change the icon. There is no way that I'd click to go into the game's page in iTunes when I see an icon like this while surfing. It reminds me of those stupid endless runner games' or "make my photo funny" app icons.

17. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    This game is amazing.
    Fantastic art style, fantastic narrative and story, and with a touch of Silent Hill atmosphere. An artistic point and click masterpiece rivalling gems like Broken Sword and Gemini Rue.
    It's unbelievable that the game is 100% free, no IAPs. Though anyone can donate to the devs.
    Anyone with half a brain and even the slightest appreciation for unique and artistic games amidst the garbage dump of mindless and uncreative games being churned out everyday in appstore needs to try this.

18. coderkid

Nov 5, 2010
    Woah woah woah, rivaling Gemini Rue? That's the part I disagree with. Gemini Rue has a lot this game lacks - the tough puzzles, complex characters, all the point and click glory...I like this game quite a bit, but it's far too short to rival those - Gemini Rue's story easily tops this, simply because this installment shows only a small piece of the overall story.

19. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Atmospheric, thought-provoking with excellent narration. Disquieting, somber mood due to the subject matter and the excellent use of time-shifting in the game as a means for puzzle-solving, as well as setting a somber tone for a barren, desolate and decaying world.

The sparse, empty locations mirror the frequent soliloquies of the protagonist.

There are 5 chapters in this first episode. Each of them small and contained, with simple but logical puzzles. It is less a puzzle and click adventure (although these do feature) and more a piece of interactive fiction.

It is short at around 90 minutes, but an intensely satisfying experience. The night before, I was reading through a PDF version of Infocom's 'A Mind Forever Voyaging' instruction booklet; The Silent Age has a similar theme.

The Silent Age hardens back to those times, with its retro graphics and gameplay. Very infrequently, games come along which provide an experience on the same level as a good novel or piece of music.

This is one of them. And freeware i.e. a retro touch, where you pay what you think the game is worth. I gladly made a donation - the developers deserve no less; especially as it helps towards the release of the final episode, wrapping up the story.

20. Aetas

Aetas Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Game Impressions

I'm on Chapter Three and this caught me by surprise. The art style and design is great. Theres also some pretty funny humour in the internal dialogue.