The Steam Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by crex, Jul 21, 2011.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #141 backtothis, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    Does anyone want to be want to be really nice and ask on the Steam forum for Frozen Synapse if multiplayer can be played between a Mac and PC? New members don't have too many privileges, heheh.

Edit: Nvm, I made the post.

2. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I'm pretty sure Steam multiplayer games can be played cross-platform if it's available for both.

3. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #143 backtothis, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    It works indeed. Tons of fun so far with FS. Thanks for the response.

Edit: Girlfriend beat me 2 out of 3 at FS, a freaking TBS. I don't have anything to say.

4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Is Trine a good buy for $5? Seems like the game goes on sale quite often since it was $5 just last week.

Anyone think Nuclear Dawn is any good? RTS mixed with FPS sounds strange.

5. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Backtothis. I am extremely disappoint.

Nuclear Dawn looks like a unique and cool game. Don't know about Trine though.

6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
  7. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    You should probably make a new thread for that! Anyways, I'll be getting it because I want to play trine!

8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Will do :p

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    What the heck?! I just bought FS and Trine within the last week :[..no more full priced games on Steam for me..

10. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Hey if anyone's up for a game of Terraria you can add me as Arashi541 on Steam. Havent bought it yet but either today or tomorrow I will.

11. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Haha yea, that's how I always think now :p Though, for some reason, I don't mind buying new games at full price. But for older games, I wait for it to on sale.

Oh and technically, you bought Trine on sale :p

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #152 backtothis, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    Quick question, how can I install Windows 7/Vista on a Mac so I can play some decent games? I'm willing to pay unless the cost is excessively high since gaming is the only thing I'll be using Windows for.

Edit: Boot Camp, got it. This looks like a lengthy process.

13. iphoneandroiddev

Jul 23, 2011
    If one is using a mac, i dont see the point to having that gated fence called steam, that leases you the games you "bought". Why not use the mac's own appstore instead? On windows it could be reasonable, since all windowstards like to depend 100% on the steam rental service, but on mac it's even more worthless.

14. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    How is it a rental service? Lmao.

15. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Huh? Steam and the App Store are fairly comparable. Both are inclosed marketplaces that allow you to redownload anything you've purchased through them. The only real difference is steam includes some social networking features, has a far more robust selection and constantly has amazing sales. Did you actually use the term "windowstards"? Not only does that scream of unwarranted bias it's also a really poorly constructed insult. Why not "Wintards" or Microtards"? :rolleyes:

16. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    That game the binding of isaac looks sick. Zelda style gameplay thats just amazing! Wish I could get it though lol

17. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    This made my night lol.

How many A+ gaming titles does mac have again?.. Last I checked not too many and the ones that are available are mostly rubbish.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Maybe because the Mac AppStore contains the shittiest selection of games you'll find from any kind of gaming service? There's freaking 2 "console" games that came out after 2010. GTA: San Andreas is number 2? That's from f**king five years ago. It's shit. No one in the world talks about "Mac" gaming. It's because it doesn't exist.

19. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

San Andreas actually came out 7 years ago but the Mac version was just released last year. You can buy the entire GTA trilogy for $30-40 on disc compared to $15 each on the App Store driving home the point that the App Store is way overpriced. Hell, a lot of what's on there seems to be old games updated for the modern OS sold for rediculous prices. That's not exactly a positive thing for Mac gaming. Still, I think it's a bit of an exaduration to say Mac gaming doesn't exist, it's just full of indie titles all of which are multiplatform. :(

20. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I will say the Mac gaming situation is definitely improving though and steam will help with that! Plus Mac is starting to put decent GPU's in their systems now.

Call me stupid but what HAS been the reason Mac has never had good games? I never really looked into it. Once the games start to run like my pc and they get some decent day 1 launch titles I may eventually switch to Mac full time, but for now my gaming will stay on my iOS devices and my pc.