Universal The Walking Dead (+ 400 Days DLC) by Telltale Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 25, 2012.

1. chapel07

chapel07 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    i have a question..and maybe i need some help..well, i need some help,

currently on the part where the drugstore is being overrun by the horde (walkers) and Clem is giving me the cane of the Elder Lee, but the problem is I can't get it..been clicking/touching the action "take the cane" but nothing happens, any suggestions? oh, and i'm currently playing in my iPod touch 4g.. :D

2. LousyHero

LousyHero Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    I am having the same problem. I hope someone can help us through this soon.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Works fine on my 4S, so the problem is likely to be the fact that you are playing on an unsupported device.

4. LousyHero

Feb 1, 2009
    I'm playing on an iphone 4 and having the same problem. I can get the cane to highlight, and it says take cane in the lower left corner. No matter how much more i tap though it still wont take the cane from her. You would think with a bunch of hungry zombies trying to come through the door, he'd be a bit more eager to grab that damn cane.

5. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    Is this the same as the one on psn?

6. chapel07

chapel07 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    i think the "take cane" has a glitch, it may depend on the choices you were doing with Doug (the moment he is going gay on you..lol.) try changing your choice at that moment and see what happens, it worked for me, i guess..

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I had the same problem as you guys when I played through the game. Basically, it's just a bug. Go back to the main menu and play through the last part again and it should work fine.

8. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Nope, I've played through the whole episode on both an iPod Touch 4g and an iPhone 4 and never once run into that problem. It's definitely just a bug to do with the choices you made and has nothing to do with the device you're playing on in any way at all.

9. LousyHero

Feb 1, 2009
    That worked. I actually didnt say anything to doug this time around, and it let me pick up the cane just fine. Thanks for the help everyone.

10. ghostspectre43

ghostspectre43 Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    my location
    so does this game work on the ipod touch 4th gen or not?

11. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

It does, but in most cases not that great. I was able to completely play through it on my iPod, but that may have do with the fact that I'm running iOS 6 on it.. I dunno.

I'd say it's probably best to wait. I'm sure like all Telltale games that the first episode will eventually go free, then you can give that a try with no risk of losing money if it doesn't work so great for you.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I would say no. I tapped on the icon about 7 times, everytime then reset back to my home screen. Tried again, had 'loading' and then crashed. Another 10 or so times later and i got to the main menu and actually got past the first part or two (i wont ruin it) but a few times it was out of sync and once a zombie bit me as the game froze at an important moment.

I'm going to wait for my ipad and play it on that, ipod touch i wouldnt spend any money on at all (and even more so as they have even changed the description not to include ipod touch 4th gen), so if you did buy it now i wouldnt say you are 'covered' at all for your money back as they at least warn you now (not when i bought it though !)

When it plays well its a great game but i'll have to wait till i get my new ipad.

13. tim240

tim240 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2012
    It did for me, I usually shut down apps running in the background and reboot. But as the thee guy said most telltale games end up with the first episode free and the others you can buy for IAP.

*my iPod is jailbroken.. not sure if that effects performance or not.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well had another email from TellTale after my earlier rant, this one was good as the guy really was apologising, said to get a refund from Apple as he doesnt have access to who bought what etc.

Told him not to worry as i'm getting a new ipad soon so i'll wait to play it on there. At the end of the day its a genuine mistake, but i do wish some larger companies would do more playtesting, we all have different iOS devices here so i'm sure many of us would help for nothing with betas.

Anyway look forward to playing this in the near future, from what i've seen of it it looks great

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    We all see it as a mistake on their part! But, for the rest of us, they didn't say whether they're going to fix this here or not? I'd like to be able to play it on my touch sooner than later! And yeah, lots of us test a lot and would jump at the chance! All they gotta do is ask, right? Still, I'm looking for that glint of light hoping this game will be fixed, as are others! If you hear anything, post it here, allright?

16. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #236 ImNoSuperMan, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    Should I get this for The iPad or Xbox instead? There is practically no price difference and I don't want to waste space on iPad as this will only keep on getting larger in size (with future episodes) and it'll be months (possible years) before we get all five episodes. Can't delete it from the iPad as that'd result in losing my save data. Xbox doesn't have space issues and even if it did, I can always delete the game and keep the save files.

So is there any real benefit in getting it for the iPad? Other than portability I guess, but the game isnt that long and doubt there's much replay value either except for new episodes.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Personally I find playing point and click adventure games on an iPad (or iPhone for that matter) vastly superior to playing on a computer screen or a TV set -- they feel much more immediate, intuitive, and, for lack of a better term, intimate. I haven't played WD on the Xbox, but some who have describe their experience on the iPad in similar terms. It should be noted that even though the iPad version has the same content as the XBox version, there are differences in the way the controls work (besides the obvious ones).

As to the matter of file size, you can always delete chapters after you finish them without losing your overall save. There are tools like PhoneViewer that allow you to back up app data files.

In terms of replayability, I ended up replaying the first chapter immediately after I finished it, so I could try out different choices. As the chapters continue, I can easily imagine playing through them using different save files from previous chapters. Make of that what you will.

18. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, it works fine. Don't expect a smooth framerate or quickly loading scenes, but it works. I've experienced no crashes at all.

19. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    #239 GSJ1977, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    Feck!! This game doesn't let you restore IAPs?!?! I bought the damn season ticket and now it's gone? Arrrrgh I am getting sick of this fecking IAP bullshit.

Edit:
    I did some googling and discovered that if you "buy" the multipack a second time, it comes up with the old "you have already purchased this item" message and you get the multipack "for free" meaning you aren't charged a second time. Phew!

20. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Just finished the first episode man soooooooooo worth the wait i played it with headphones light off to really get the effect loved it start to finish.

anyone who thinks its too short for the price...... go buy it Starbucks cup of coffee finish that and tell me that was better use of your money this game is a steal at this price plus you get replay value sweeeeeeeeeet!