Universal The Walking Dead (+ 400 Days DLC) by Telltale Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Saw this game was being released for iOs and decided to skip it and purchase the PC version instead.
    Had no idea it was so damn good and the iOs version looks on par.

Easily Telltale's best work to date and a pretty awesome gaming experience.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    My biggest complaint is how unoptimized the whole thing is. Even on PCs and consoles, it still lags and skips. Telltale needs to get its act together on the optimization front.

3. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Oh wow, that's indeed a surprise! Hopefully the final version of iOS 6 is indeed that optimised so my iPhone 4 can run faster as well. I remember it was really fast on iOS 4, but slightly slower after 4.2 and 5.

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, read this thread. That's what most people are talking about.

5. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I'm not feeling the ios version.

I think I'll stick with the Steam version, thank you very much.

6. akovendetta

akovendetta Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I didn't intend to imply it's not a beautiful game, especially on the newer devices. I'm saying that there are games that look and play a lot better on my touch4 than this one does.

As noted above, I disagree absolutely, based on my own experience.

As I mentioned in my previous post, chipset is the EXACT same in pod & phone 4, just the ram difference. Since it plays well on phone, then it must be a ram issue, which is most likely related to texture sizes.

The higher clock speed of the iPad1 would make up for most of that, performance would be comparable if not equal. As for lower quality visuals of IB1 on iPad, i believe that was because it was merely scaled to fit the larger screen rather than rendered at the appropriate resolution, a result of the game engine's development being earlier than the tablets release, and not coded for anything but handheld resolution, though I could be wrong.

Texture compression to account for memory is a much different matter than writing code to accounting for different resolutions.

All in all, this is all just conjecture, Telltale will be the one's with the actual understanding of where the limitations lie, software or hardware side.

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #167 JBRUU, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    Excuse me?? "plays well on the iphone 4"? Where have you been the last 8 pages of this thread? It's laggy and skips around, according to many users. I'm playing this thing on an iPad 3, which is many, many, times more powerful than the iPhone 4 and I experience nearly constant skips in the PRERENDERED cutscenes (the actual gameplay is butter, though). So why the heck would Telltale even want to bother to lower their perfect 5 star rating on iTunes by trying to optimize for a ridiculously low end device? If it runs jerky on my iPad, and like crap on the iPhone 4, why would itouch users want to put up with an even worse framerate and terribly muddy visuals? No, it's not the owner's decision, its the devs. If they feel the device cannot handle the game as it is meant to be played, the right thing to do is not support said device.

The absolute only reason for Telltale to do this would be to get a bigger install base and more $$$. However, it likely means that all the 11 yr olds will go on iTunes and whine about the game being "really super laggy :mad: :mad: :mad: FIX NOW!!!!!!". And there goes the 5 stars to a 4. Ouch.

I respect their integrity to only bring the experience to capable devices that can run the game with decent enough visuals and framerate to attain that atmosphere and emotion that just sucks that player in and makes that game so good.

That said, I think was a BIG mistake the even advertise compatibility in the first place and then do a bait and switch after taking money. If you bought the game when the description stated it was compatible, by all means, demand your money back. But I fully support Telltale's decision not to bring the game to iPod touch users.

Edit: Please, do your research, the iPad 1 is woefully underpowered, even more so than the itouch 4. It's not the processor clock speed that has anything to do with the pixels being pushed, it's the RAM somewhat and mostly the GPU. Both the iPad 1 and iPod 4 have the same amount of RAM (256) and identical GPU, the PowerVR SGX535.

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #168 crex, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    So yeah I'm kinda stuck and I'm not sure if it's just a glitch but:

Anyone else having a problem grabbing the cane from Clem at the part where you have to barricade the door in the pharmacy?

EDIT:

Turns out it was just a glitch. Replayed the part and it worked fine.

BTW, I love that they give you the results of what paths other players decided to choose.

9. tim240

tim240 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2012
    So did anybody get a reply from telltale or a refund from apple?

10. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

Anyone? How does this game run on iPad 2? ...:confused:

11. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Absolutely not true at all pal. I've played through it twice on my iPhone 4 and it runs perfectly apart from some very slight lag on the occasional cutscene.

Also as I stated previously it actually runs quite good on my 8gb iPod Touch running iOS 6.0 beta. There is slightly more lag than on the iPhone 4 but it is completely playable still.
    Although on my iPod Touch 32gb with iOS 5.1 it doesn't even get past the loading screen, so I'd say it's probably a bit of a gamble if all you own is an iPod Touch 4g. However if you have an iPhone 4 it's definitely perfectly playable.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Nope nothing, emailed Telltale early yesterday and no response apart from the automated message saying they'll get back to me.

Not that its great but i kept pressing the icon time and time again (after a reset) then surprisingly it did start and i got into the game. Still not perfect by a long way but i was at least happy it finally started working.

13. Tommy141

Tommy141 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    #173 Tommy141, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
    For all those people saying how does it run on iPad 2, I experienced hardly any lag and no crashes. The only part it lagged a lot was
    when **spoiler** that person shot herself.

14. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    Having played on PC previously, I find the game isn't as good on my iPad 2. Controls are dumbed down and cutscenes have this annoying frame around it. Everything else is top notch.

15. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Didn't notice the spoiler tags then!? :mad:

16. BigriderCZ

BigriderCZ New Member

Jul 7, 2012
    student
    Sokolov, Czech Republic
    I want episode 2. NOW.

17. Sekelani

Sekelani Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Pizza maker, crust
    Australia
    When is episode 2 coming out?
    I bought the pack which cost me $15.99.when??

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I find that very, very difficult to believe. Multiple other iPhone 4 users have been complaining about poor performance. Maybe you're just used to a poor framerate in games...but the iPhone 4 does not run this "perfectly" by all accounts except your own.

19. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    Perfect is a term not easily defined. Just noting that jailbroken devices won't run some games nearly as nicely as non-jailbroken ones. Safe mode does help sometimes but not always.
    Don't know if the peopleentioned above have jailbroken their devices or not, but it might be the cause for some.

As for the game itself I can't say yet as I'm still downloading the game even though after the PS3 version demo felt so slow and boring I quit it rather soon. Hoping the touchscreen interface is better for me.

20. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Well believe it or not but that's the truth. I know what poor performance is. I've played Telltale's
    previous titles like the Monkey Island games and those could get really laggy to the point where it really ruined the gameplay. This game is nothing like that. Like I said, apart from some occasional lag in some cutscenes the game ran as smooth as butter. As for other iPhone users who've complained.. Well maybe they have too many jailbroken tweaks n stuff installed which will certainly effect the phones performance.
    All I know is it runs great on my iPhone 4 and I really enjoyed it.