iPhone The War of Eustrath HD

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Chod

Chod Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I actually just bought this because of squarezero's recommendations/review here. I have to say I am not dissappointed.

Good work on the great game guys. I will post my impressions after I get a better feel of the game.

2. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I also bought this game yesterday and I'm really glad I did. It's perfect for the iPad and it's so relaxing to lie back and enjoy it. I'm not very far yet, only the third stage, I think, but I love it.

It's amazing that you're new to app development. At the very least, you must have experience on other platforms, right?? Because the game is very high quality.

3. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Gah, can't wait to see the iPhone release

Also, anyone know how long the game is? The description says 'Over 50 campaign stages are playable with several endings including a special one'. If each stage is long enough, that's almost around Fire Emblem length...

4. Chod

Chod Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Overall i am really enjoying the game. My only gripes with it have all been mentioned in this thread. The english is a bit poor and can detract from the overall story and the map view graphics can be a bit blurry. Both of which are not deal-breakers and both could be fixed in upcoming updates.

5. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Anyone willing to post a video? Intrigued, but not fully sold yet.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I'll see if I have time tonight. All I can say right now is that it plays as fast and smooth as a console game -- which is basically most of what you'll get on a video for a game in which a single battle can last 30+ minutes.

7. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I'm on the 10th stage at the moment...does anyone else find this game way too easy? It's fun, but would like some kind of challenge...anyone further? Does the game get challenging?

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The 10th stage boss can get challenging if you don't approach him right -- he doles out tons of damage. I'm about to start on Stage 11 tonight, so we'll see. Keep in mind that we're only 1/5 of the way into the game.

On the developer's forum, some people have been getting into trouble much earlier, so it maybe that we're particularly good at the game. I can easily see the devs creating a more hardcore difficulty setting in an update, though.

9. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    My experience with SRPGs tells me that difficulty increases tend to come in spikes, not gradually, so that may happen here (usually indicated by the appearance of badass looking enemies).

Ahah, playing it Fire Emblem style :p

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    No question: the bosses on Stage 7 (I think) and 10 were tough. The one on 7 destroyed all my Gears except one; I think I had better tactics and luck on stage 10, so I did better, but it was definitely tense.

I find that when I'm caught up in the story I prefer the game to be a bit easier, so I don't get stuck -- I really want to know what happens next!

11. Nox166

Nox166 Member

Apr 24, 2010
    hmmm

looks good but i would like to see a video before buying.

12. GILSTEN

GILSTEN New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Shipping Industry
    Japan
    Depends on the choice you make, Stage 19 can be very challenging.
    I will not reveal the details but the game gets much more interesting since then.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #53 squarezero, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    Welcome to TA, Gilsten. Glad to hear it keeps getting interesting.

I'm working on getting a video uploaded -- the first one should be up in a few minutes. I'll be shooting a second, too, showing more of the actual combat. Unfortunately, the first video ended up with crappy resolution -- I apologize in advance about the quality.

Here it is in all it's crappy glory:

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #54 squarezero, Jun 9, 2010
    Here's the second video. Thankfully, this one is a lot better (quality will improve soon). Sorry about the abrupt ending -- I recorded this with my backup camera, and my card ran out of space.

Both videos show the beginning of Section 11, right after the team discovers that it's home base has been destroyed and faced one of the boss enemy Gears. Evelyn (the blond) is piloting her father's (or grandfather, I forget) Gear for the second time -- the first time she was almost killed.

Anyway, here it is. Sorry about the shakyness: first time recording an iPad.

15. Karma32

Karma32 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    So how did you guys beat the boss in stage 7? It's like 1 hit from this guy and I'm dead

16. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #56 jeffyg3, Jun 9, 2010
    I had to do a quickload 3 times to beat him (I don't like seeing any of my guys die, I quickloaded right after one died). Basically I think you just have to hit him twice and he goes away...with my 3rd try at him, he hit Sarah, but she didn't die (almost though) and she hit him with a counter attack, then I hit him with the Blue Wing and he left.

Haven't started stage 10 yet...but yeah SRPGs tend to go up and down on the challenge...it's definitely a well put together SPRPG, I'm sure it'll get more challenging later. Oh and one thing I would like to see in the first update is a way to skip the dialog :)

17. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Oh, definitely! Watching a cut-scene once is quite enough! :) When I have to replay a stage, I don't really like having to read everything again. I already know what's gonna happen!

18. iJoe

iJoe Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I can officially say, I love this game even though some elements need to be changed. The one blonde girl who keeps yelling 'ARGH, FATHER!' (yeah her) when being attacked, well I received her at level 7 and although I try to get her up a few levels and make sure she can cast elude and attack, usually the enemy dodges and tends to kill all or 90% of her health.

I gave her a bunch of gems to strengthen her armor but I need to keep her cause she can heal any member ANYWHERE on the field. So for instance if she's all the way at the top left corner of the map and all my guys are at the bottom right corner, she's able to heal my teammates. So as much as trying to level her up sucks, she's one of those weak healers that is mandatory.

19. archmagenmr

archmagenmr New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Impressions and a question for one of the endings

Ok, beat the game for the first time. I have to say, I am impressed with the implementation of an SRPG on the iPad. Aside from a couple of times when the app just bombed out (perhaps a memory issue?), I have been enjoying the game immensely.

Even though I am a non-native English speaker, the translation still leaves a lot to be desired. The AI also seems to follow an easily recognizable pattern, but I won't dwell on it here lest it spoils the fun for other players. However, the developers should be able to improve on these points quite easily, and I am eagerly waiting for the first update.

Since I've got to one of the endings, I do have a question for the developers (since I couldn't find their e-mail address and their forum seems to be down at the moment): After I beat the final boss and the game shows a 'Game cleared' message, the game just jumps back to the title screen. No endings, no nothing. Is that normal? It feels a bit abrupt, and I would have expected at least a description of what happens to the members of Team Blue Wing. In any case, I will try the other paths in the decision tree and see whether the other endings have the same problem.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Quick question -- how long did it take you to beat the game (approximately)?