The World Ends With You blocks iPad despite Apple's rules prohibiting that

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by geoelectric, Aug 28, 2012.

1. WarToilet

WarToilet New Member

Aug 30, 2012
    So how do we tell Apple/SE about this??

2. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Easiest way is probably to seek refund.

3. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    retina

The other issue is that this is retina for iphone and not for ipad... From my understanding it looks bad on the new ipad and might be okay on the ipad2. This makes the decision harder and also makes this HD or retina issue even bigger since from the review on the itunes store it's nothing but stay away from the ipad version if you had the new ipad since it is blurry and looks bad...

I would be pissed if I paid $20 for my new ipad and it looked bad...

4. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    I think you mean it the other way the iPhone version looks OK on the new iPad maybe a little pixelated in 2x mode, on the iPad 2 it doesn't look as good as the new iPad

5. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I think the reviews you're seeing are because it's not iPad Retina. Some people think every iPad release should be and ding it otherwise. The game upscales well on the iPad 3 and is no more blurry than any other upscaled Retina game.

As far as iPhone Retina compatibility goes, that's an interesting point. It may not fall back to graphics iPad 2 can handle in 2x. I have no idea what happens if you 2x a retina-only game on iPad 2.

In fact, here's a forum post asking about how to get a retina-only app into app store, and the answer was to do a similar cheat.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7113035/iphone-app-supports-retina-only-will-apple-accept-the-app

So maybe that was Square-Enix's reason: they didn't want to provide non-Retina art to cover the iPad 2, and iPad 3 was collateral damage.

Still no question that what they've done violates the dev agreement though. Goes back to this isn't about SE being evil, it's about whatever their reason this is unacceptable.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    There's a (paid) jailbreak tweak called Retinasizer that forces the iPad 1 and 2 to use a x2 iPhone game's HD assets if available, instead of the SD ones. Normally with SD it looks pixely, but with the HD assets it looks very clear. I'm assuming it would work fine on the iPad 2 even if there are no SD assets.

7. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Retinasizer is free and from what I saw, hasn't been updated in a long time and only support a few games according to the Cydia listing.

I use Retinapad (iirc 2.99) which is newer and supports all Retina games, so if you could run the iPhone version of TWEWY on an iPad 2 with Retinapad, it would be basically the same as running the iPad version but with some black borders since the iphone's resolution has a bit less pixels.

8. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, I'm sure it'd work with those. I bet it'd crash out without them though due to no Retina graphics.

9. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    This is especially true for Square Enix. They are much larger than the SE of a decade ago, or even 5 years ago. Look at some of the western games you might have played. Just Cause 2? Published by Square Enix. Deus Ex 3? Guess what? It's published by Square Enix. They don't just have different development teams; by now, they are more like a Ubisoft than the Square Enix of old. They are a large publishing firm with large developers channeling their products through them.

I mean, they own Eidos, and Eidos was a pretty big publisher before Square gobbled them up.

10. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Here is what I think, I think people who are willing to pay 20-30 dollars for Squares games on iOS are a niche market. I think they need to make money to provide the games this niche market wants. If you make it not profitable for them, they will not even bother, then that niche game you wanted will not be there at all. Yes they might be popular in your little circle or on other devices, but lets be honest the majority of ios owners are not buying TWEWY or dimensions.

That being said, I think they are over priced and overrated. I would rather spend twenty dollars on real triple A games in a steam sale or on a amazon sale. For instance this week, you could get:
    Max Payne 3 + all GTA games for what it costs for dimensions. You could get the digital deluxe version of mass effect 3 for less than TWETY. Hell I could get both dead space games and kingdoms of amular for cheaper than either of those square games. So I guess what I am saying is, I can see the need for the prices square charges for their games (they have to make money), but I personally don't feel they provide the gaming value I am looking for.

11. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    This!!!

I grew up with the FF series and will forever be a fan. I don't mind supporting devs even with that niche pricing (I also get Japanese currency and prices) but now it's starting to catch up. First giving us bloated prices and now trying to restrict some devices so users need to double dip? Greedy much? How square can you guys be? :(

12. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I don't really have an opinion on their pricing. I buy their games, so I guess the strategy is successful. Much more concerned about the forced double-dip.

13. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    That's exactly where SE positions itself. They're thinking "F*ck it! The customers are gonna buy our games anyway so let's do what we want." It's sad that Apple didn't look closer into this before releasing. Or maybe Apple just brushed it off because its a big Dev.

14. geoelectric

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Well, what I'm picking up is that gaming the hardware compatibility list is a common way to try to get a device compatibility matrix close to what you want. So they may be a little numb to that; certainly they give it a pass.

However, this is the first game I've seen that does it in a way that excludes iPad, and I buy most games that Touch Arcade bothers to mention. I would think they'd take that more seriously.