The Xbox 360 Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by jacksoncombs, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Yeah man, Jack Swift was the best character in the game. I actually can't bring myself to use anyone else except for Red sometimes. Like I said, they really need to bring back that sort of multiplayer. As fun as the huge modern warfare style shooters are, they're getting old, and a lot of the time aren't half as fun as a close-quarters shootout.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I loved Costume Quest, but it's not a terribly challenging game and it's got a whimsical style, so that might be a turnoff for some, though not for me. It's a pretty simple game, but highly entertaining IMHO. I loved it.

3. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
  4. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    #2804 Electric_Shaman, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Anyone tried Double Fine's new XBLA release, Stacking, yet?
    Looks pretty interesting, might check out the demo later.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm ever going to have the patience to unlock the kid. I mean, that's still only the first level you're talking about right? There's 3 levels total in the warp zone.
    Apparently the first is considered the hardest though.

edit: ah what the hell, I've had the Crisis 2 demo sitting on my hard drive for a while and decided to fire it up today, only to get the message "Thanks for your participation, but the demo has now ended". Reallly lame.

5. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    You didn't miss much. The demo was completely broken. In the two games I actually got into, I noticed floaty controls, poor hit detection, and lag. The reason I only played two games was that, 90% of the time I tried to get into a match, it COMPLETELY FROZE my Xbox while it tried to load the map. Apparently it wasn't an isolated issue. It happened to everyone.

I was planning on buying Crysis 2, but if this demo is any indication, I think I'm waiting until I see reviews saying the issues were fixed. Still, the atrocious quality of the demo was surprising coming from high-end companies like Crytek and EA.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Bangai-O devs just posted a new trailer for Missile Fury. I can't find it anywhere other than Facebook so I dunno if people without an account can view it or not:

http://www.facebook.com/BangaiO

Spirits was easily my favourite DS game so I'm expecting this will shoot straight into my top 3 XBLA games at least.

7. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    #2807 Electric_Shaman, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    Tried the Stacking demo, liked it enough to get the full game almost straight away.

For those not familiar, in a nutshell, the concept of the game is you play in a world populated by Russian Dolls, the kind that stack inside each other. Each doll has an ability, and you must use these abilities to solve puzzles. Each puzzle has a number of different solutions, and as you progress the puzzles become more complex, requiring you to use abilities in tandem, and larger dolls become available for you to stack inside.

The game is presented well, very stylised and with a medium serving of humor. Like Double Fine's last offering, the game is made to cater to gamers of all ages, which means some of the humor can be a little blunt at times, but it's still a lot of fun. The other effect of catering to younger gamers is that the game can be quite easy. For me, one of the solutions to a puzzle is normally quite easy to find and figure out, so the challenge lies in finding all the solutions to the puzzle; perfect for completionists, as there's a number of other little challenges aside from the puzzle solutions to do.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game, and it's quite a nice refreshing gameplay concept. Check out the demo, although you can't progress past a certain point, you can explore the level as much as you want, so it gives you a good idea of what to expect.

8. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Just read IGN's first impressions of TDU2.

If what they said is true and the online aspect of the game is the main chunk of TDU2, I will definitely pass. 12 year old douches screaming into mics and crashing into anything and everything isn't my kind of 'fun'.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #2809 MidianGTX, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    It's supposed to be true, but I turned off mics... not that I needed to being on PS3... because I didn't want to hear anyone else as I played. I have crashed into other players though, but you seem to imagine it'd be non-stop craziness when really you don't actually meet them all that often. You'll see hundreds of AI cars before you see a player car, so if it's out of control you can just put it down to drunkeness and move on. It's almost like a dash of realism that the occasional car you meet might be speeding or swerving like a maniac.

Anyway the low ratio means that any prolonged meeting between you and a player car will be intentional, so you'll either be racing them and their crashing into things won't matter because you'll win, or you'll be hanging out, maybe in a club together, playing the game how you want it to be played. The chances of you meeting a 12-year old that actually annoys you is probably quite low.

10. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    #2810 Slapshot, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  11. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    Marvel vs capcom 3 on tuesday. anyone else ready? been playing it on ps3 all weekend.

xbox live: panama chief (add me)

12. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I played that demo for hours on end with no connection difficulties, only 1 instance of freezing, no hit detection issues and tight controls.

I don't know what the hell you were playing but I was playing the Crysis 2 demo and it made me want the full game.

EDIT:
    Plus I live in Australia where the internets is slow x1000

13. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    That's odd, though Crytek did say they planned on fixing the problems I talked about. Did you play the demo the week it came out? That's when I tried playing. My Xbox is a new Slim model and I have high-speed internet, so it definitely wasn't just me.

I hate inconsistency.

14. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I'm still playing Red Dead Redemption, even more now that I got Undead Nightmare. Man, the multiplayer is so much fun. There's a lot of stuff to do, things to accomplish, achievements to unlock, different variation. It's a blast.

15. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Agreed. Undead Nightmare is the only part of the game I really liked that much. I was playing it at my friend's place this week and was instantly hooked. It seems like, unlike the regular game, that there's always something to do, from saving villages to finding weaponry to zombie hunting. I'll definitely be picking up the Undead Nightmare standalone disc as soon as I can.

16. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Hmmm, that's pretty weird because I feel the exact opposite. I liked Undead a lot, but there's way less stuff to do on the main adventure than in the original game. Also the missions are pretty repetitive, and not as complex as those of the main campaign.

Anyway, the Undead Overrun mode on multiplayer is really fun. The physics of this game make killing zombies a lot more interesting than others.

17. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Maybe it's just the fact that I didn't give enough time to the original campaign and that I was only playing Undead Nightmare for maybe an hour at my friend's house. I did have a TON of fun killing zombies in Undead Nightmare, though.

I didn't get to give the multiplayer a shot though since my friend's PS3 couldn't connect to the wifi for some reason. I will say though that it's more than worth the $20 for the standalone version.

18. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #2818 Sainter, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    Oh well, that sounds good and definitely a lot better than I thought it was. Guess I will just watch some reviews as they roll around.

19. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
  20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I loved Costume Quest, but the Stacking demo put me to sleep. That is one glacially paced game. Could you walk any more slowly? Maybe if I had more time for gaming I'd have appreciated it more. Or maybe not. I was taking a long time not having much fun. YMMV.

I picked up Super Street Fighter IV and played it for the first time last night. I found myself wishing it had a "P" button and a button to press to do super and ultra combos, like the iPhone SFIV. Maybe eventually I'll get the hang of the wonky joystick motions this (and I guess other fighters) require, but so far this isn't proving much fun for me. I must have tried to do a super combo a hundred times and only managed it 5 or 6 times. This on a HRAP EX-SE, so the controller's not the problem. I went back to the iPhone game and had fun again. :) I will try it again, though. I've got some folks offering to tutor me, so we'll see, but after last night I wasn't hopeful.