The Xbox 360 Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by jacksoncombs, Jun 21, 2010.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm definitely getting Fruit Ninja Kinect as well. Kinect Sports is fun too and is worth picking up, especially since it's pretty easily found at a discount now. Playing those games online is fun. Child of Eden is great, but it has the problem I have with all music games - I have a hard time finding time to play it as once the kids are in bed I can't really crank up the volume like i want/need to. I suppose I should invest in a pair of good wireless headphones, but I don't really like wearing headphones much, especially not when I'm at home - I don't like being unable to hear what's going on around me.

2. Capsizing Heart

Capsizing Heart Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    By demos, do you guys mean the trial versions? I don't play much XBL Arcade so when you said demos I couldn't find anything so I just got the trail versions. I've bought two things off there, Stubbs the Zombie (which didn't work) and Monday Night Combat (which I liked less the more I played). [Except for Shadow Planet, which only has a video preview. Although it looks too old school for me].

3. Yeah I basically mean the trial versions. They're more or less the same thing :D

I usually always download a trial version of a XBLA game before buying, unless it's something I've been wanting for a while. When Guardian Heroes hits XBLA later in the year, that will be a insta-buy!

Thanks for your recommendation crunc, I'll keep an eye out for some bargains ;)

4. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Just played the Bastion demo and I hated it. Although the whole visual style was really cool, I hated being positioned so far away from the action and that damn narrator.

5. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

you hate the narrator?? WOW!!

6. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    I also played the Outlands demo which I really enjoyed, great visuals, great controls, it all felt so fluid but I HATE platforming games so..no purchases from me.

I also played the From Dust and spent the whole time going 'what the hell am I playing?!'

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I liked the Narrator in the Bastian trial. That and the graphic style are great, but the game didn't set me on fire. I liked it, mind you, but I can wait for a price drop.

Outland I'm enjoying a lot.

8. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I've been doing an absurd amount of Street Fighting. Dunno if there's any fans of the console version here.

9. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    I really wanted to like SFIV, with its great visuals and roster but I hated the controls with a passion. Every time I mention this I get flamed into the ground with fans saying the controls are perfect, so I guess it was just me.

10. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    What more do you want out of the game? What do you mean you hate the controls? You can put whatever button wherever you want it!

But yes Bat, it is a good game and I just picked up SSF4 AE after only having SF4 from a while back. MvC 3 is great too, and I'll still get UMvC 3 even though it is a complete cash grab.

11. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Let's play rocket!

12. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    sure man, although I dont know If I will be on much in the coming weeks because I leave for vacation in NY on the 10th and then I'm heading to Texas for school so I'm trying to spend this last week with all my friends so I havent been gaming much.

If I fit some time in I'll send you a message here and on XBL.

BTW I'm not very good, you will kick my ass. I need some time to learn the moves of my chosen character.

13. Illegal Danish

Illegal Danish Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    On the beach
    I got Bastion, it was a really fun game, but beat it over a couple of days. Still, easily worth the purchase, and I'm probably gonna do the new game +, even though I Never, like really, never, do it.
    I kinda wished the narrator talked more though lol. Its a pretty solid game though, with the weapons perfectly spaced out and there not being a definitive best weapon or weapon combo. I'd say it was worth the money, also considering that you won't get all your weapons maxed out in upgrades by end game is another great reason to do the new game +.

So I was wonderin what other good xbla games are there? I heard dust was good, but that the difficulty curb got pretty outrageous, and that Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet was great, but really short. So I'm lookin for a game that I'll be playing for quite a while. Whether its for the online or the long story, so does anyone have any suggestions?

14. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Well, are you completely new to XBLA? Just from reading this post I'm gonna say that you are, so my suggestions are based on that. In order from Must Get to Still Get But Only After You've Gotten The Previous Ones In The List:

1. Castle Crashers- My friends and I put maybe 50 hours into this game. Get some friends, and play as a team, probably the best fun you will have in an XBLA game and one of the top games on the system

2. Shadow Complex- amazing game, its got shooting, jumping, explosions, a super suit... what more could you ask for?

3. Super Meat Boy- Great platformer, lots of levels, very difficult but it is your own fault if you mess up, so there is little frustration

4. Braid/Limbo- Similar artsy platformers, get the trial of each one to see which you prefer, or if you like both. I prefer Braid, a time twisting puzzle platformer

5. Costume Quest- This game was so fun that I stayed up playing it one night and beat it all in one go. It'll last you a good while, and it is a great action-y RPG game where halloween costumes grant powers to the kids when they wear them. Its a bit like Pokemon if you like that sort of game (which I do)

Random Honorable mention- Doritos Crash Course- a game thats a bit like the TV show Wipeout, plus its FREE so you can't argue with that. Pick it up for some good fun

Umm, those are all I could really think of right now but you really have to go through XBLA yourself because there are tons of great games that might appeal to you (Marvel vs Capcom 2, Worms, Shank, Serious Sam, N+, and Bomberman are some of my favorites) Some of those might be great for you, but not for others. Check them all out though

15. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Can I even remap finishing attacks so I don't have to do that shitty analogue twirling?

16. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Don't forget PACman championship deluxe.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #3317 crunc, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    I tried to like SSFIV, but i find the controller gymnastics to be more trouble then they're worth. I greatly prefer the iPhone version as it instead opts to make the game fun, perhaps by necessity, but it worked out for me. I don't have practice weird button/stick twirling combinations for hours just to pull off a simple move.

As far as XBLA, I'm definitely liking Outland a lot, but I can't comment on the length yet. I also loved Costume Quest, but that game isn't particularly long. Totally worth it, though, as it's charming and FUN. Another XBLA title I really, really enjoyed, and it provides a ton of value depending on the player, is Trials HD. I put many, many hours into it and now I'm really looking forward to the sequel, Trials Evolution. Oh, and don't forget Pinball FX 2 if like pinball. It's not as good as the real games, not even close, but it's still quite fine and is very well designed with excellent treatment of friends scores - showing you how close you are to beating so-and-so's score and such.

18. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Minus the iPhone buit, since I don't have it on iPhone, THIS, THIS OH GOD THIS. Same reason I hated the game.

19. Illegal Danish

Illegal Danish Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    On the beach
    Haha, I meant besides the obvious lol I guess I shoulda been a little more obvious
    I have castle crashers, amazing game, one of my all time favourites.
    Also have super meat boy, also very fun, eventually I'll get around to beating that last level. Shadow Complex I've never gotten around to getting, maybe I will, How long is it? And have played trials for Braid and Limbo, interesting but not my cup of tea. And I heard costume quest was okay.

I might get Shadow Complex, I also have most of the hit games, so I'll also get Toy Soldiers: Cold War when it comes out.
    And I have Marvel vs Capcom 3, which is very fun and I'm still playin if anyone wants to play.

20. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    I was playing the Scott Pilgrim demo, I enjoyed it a lot until I lost my three lives and had to go all the way back to the start. I'm personally not a fan of arcade frustration, but a lot of people seem to be.

I also played the Costume Quest demo, I HAVE to buy this!