The Xbox 360 Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by jacksoncombs, Jun 21, 2010.

1. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Independent game developer
    San Francisco
    Ohh crap nevermind. I always get Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising mixed up.

Okay now that I know that we're speaking of Dead Rising then I can absolutely agree with your thoughts. I think Japanese design in games (Punishing, repetitiveness, obtuse, unrewarding I can go on and on) has overstayed its welcome. The Dead Rising games were very "Cheap" and in bad spirit since the save game mechanism was ridiculous and having a constant time limit to a game that you want to explore around in is a cruel joke. It has a lot of holdovers from the old way of making games that don't make sense, kind of like still having lives in Mario Galaxy.

I tried out the demo for Dead Rising 2 and the loading was atrocious, so I never went back. I too feel burned by that series.

Left 4 Dead though, now that's a hell of a game haha!

2. Capsizing Heart

Capsizing Heart Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Left 4 Dead 2 is indeed a great game, it's not masterpiece but I don't think it ever planned on being so. It's just loads of fun.

And I agree with you entirely on Dead Rising. What is it with Japan and ugly, clunky repetitive games that just reek of cut corners and cheap, tackiness?

3. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Independent game developer
    San Francisco
    I think a lot of Japanese games have that "Feel" since they aren't really all that intuitive and expect the player to learn the ropes or die trying. There usually aren't any useful nudges or hints in Japanese games most of the time and if you do well, you're not even given a pat on the back but rather they throw you into an even harder place with less of a chance to understand the mechanics. I felt that way for Dead Rising and Lost Planet suffers a lot from obtuse, clunky and confusing game design too.

4. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Sure sounds like the Yakuza games as well.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yes, I bought it a while back, long before the Humble Indie Bundle.

6. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    What the? I quoted a post in another thread entirely, then it appeared here quoting something else?

7. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    That's the power of the Multi-quote. :p

Anyway, Dead Island just looks meh to me. From previews I've heard it's Fallout with zombies. Dunno if I really care all that much for it, since I could just play through Fallout again :D

So... it all comes down to, did you buy the HIB3? :p

8. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    What's wrong with Dead Island?

9. PhxBangBus602

PhxBangBus602 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    I have a feeling Dead Island is going to flop.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    No. I came to my senses. I'd probably never really play any of the games, just as happened with the past HIBs, which I did buy. At least it was a charity thing too, so I don't feel bad about it.

11. Capsizing Heart

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    Well it says a lot when a game is this close to release and has only just started showing off its gameplay. Further still, a stamina bar? No thanks.

12. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Now that Dead Island is out, has anyone played it? It looks fun but doesn't seem to be an outstanding game, just a great game. Co op looks like it can heaps of fun though.

13. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Are the xbox 360 controllers supported on macs?

14. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Probably not, you most likely can find a 3rd party controller that will work though.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    There is a 3rd party controller for it, but I'm not sure if it works in OS X Lion or not. I use to have it installed. Search http://macupdate.com/ I'm pretty sure it's listed there.

16. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Has anyone played Warhammer 40k Space Marine? Jetpacks + Chainsaws lead to a shit ton of fun in mp. The closest game I can think of to it right now is Transformers: War for Cybertron which was actually a pretty good TPS.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm going to redbox Dead Island and check it out (though probably not until Thursday). I'm hearing good things about it. Anyone here played it?

18. Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    My house
    Holy crap guys. It's almost here. Gears of War 3 is coming in ONE WEEK. I preordered it back in February. The wait is AGONIZING.

19. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    No kidding. This is the slowest week I've ever lived. Hopefully Amazon lives up to its history of getting it to me on day one.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I put in a pre-order for Gears 3 a few hours ago at amazon. I did opt for release day delivery. If Newegg offers $12 off up front, though, as they've been doing for select games of late, I'll switch to them and get it a few days later.