The Year Walk Plot Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GoatisGod, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Carados

Carados Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks Vovin.

Dang, there went my little thought train haha.

2. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    #42 Eoghann, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    Just for laughs, I was skimming through the newspaper articles in Almsten's journal and I was surprised to see some English words mixed into the Swedish:

Transport, till, sin, god hand, temperament.

Dunno if that's a clue or just those cases where a translation isn't possible (which I doubt considering the words in question) or the word just translates the same.

I'd translate the whole thing but I'm at work on my phone.

3. Carados

Carados Member

Feb 23, 2013
    So playing through a third time, I had some time to pick through things. I'd like to get them down before I forget.

• Don't know what the box side looked like during my first playthrough. The second play had the year on the side. This time there were the symbols for mylingen and brook horse.
    • There are three runes that never got used in the dark cavern. The series goes from 1 to 6. Just an observation.
    • When Almsten is telling you about his journal, I'm interested in the creepy audio sounds. I've already admitted elsewhere I still have my detective hat on, so I could be picking at something that means nothing.

4. Icaru5

Icaru5 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    More there

I agree that there has to be more. I think almsten.se is interesting. If it were just for ambience the dots, etc would probably be symmetrical, since it would make the graphic look better. But they're not. I believe there's a reason for it. I just can't figure it out, but it seems like a clue to me.

I wouldn't put it past these guys to combine a mobile adventure game with a larger ARG. If that's the case, it's a cool idea.

5. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    I agree..I would also like to say that I won't stop looking for answers till I or someone from this group of speculators find it..

The watchers must not win!!Hehe..

6. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    1, 2: Nice.. Since one password is written on the side, why not another one?

3: When is Almsten telling you about his journal, I don't get this?

Fun to keep the detective hat (or madman cap) on

7. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Someone in one of the threads said the asymmetrical look is typical for an image to ascii converter.. This sounds quite plausible to me

I don't know what almsten.se having that picture means though.. Theodor almsten is really the church grim? The church grim got him?
    Something that just occurred to me, one of the shapes for the box came in a email in a ascii image like that, so maybe the church grim symbol is part of a code also?

8. Carados

Carados Member

Feb 23, 2013
    At the end of the normal playthrough (when you don't have the code for the box), after you see Stina and all the credits roll, the screen goes to white and there's a sort of white noise but not while you get the messages like "We can save her" and "my journal" and the year code you have to put in the companion. It sounds like heavily effected...something. It's like a weird sorta kinda vocal noise. Typical of something you'd hear in a horror movie, but coming at the end it strengthens the effect of Almsten reaching out to you from somewhere else.

I'll admit that I was hoping the new(?) symbols at the end of Almsten's letter to Daniel people talked about the other day were runes and not shapes. It just bugs me that they give you 2 extra number symbols beyond what you need. The stones in the graveyard can only go up to four, I checked. Probably a red herring, so it's the graveyard puzzle is less obvious, but still...

9. Icaru5

Icaru5 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Almsten.se

Has anyone tried counting the number of each instance on the ascii graphic?
    .=?
    :=?
    ;=?
    +=?
    '=?
    `=?

Is there merit in that? My guess is that there is an alternate code in the Companion which will open up new info. Of course, it's just a guess.

10. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Do you know if the two extra number symbols were used anywhere else?

I'm also thinking, we have three stray creature symbols: two on the box in the first playthrough, and one on almsten.se
    The one on almsten.se is made with text characters, same as the first (if I remember correctly) shape symbol that theoder received through emails. The creature symbols have number counterparts from the graveyard puzzle (except the church grim symbol?). Maybe something could come off this?

11. Carados

Carados Member

Feb 23, 2013
    I haven't seen the extra numbers used anywhere else. I can describe them when I get home in a few hours, if you'd like. But I'm not as eagle-eyed as others here are.

12. jarland

jarland Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Straight from my inbox. Thought I'd share.

13. ogre800

ogre800 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Thoughts?

New here. had fun playing the game and reading this thread about Year Walk.

Couple of thoughts/questions.
    1. Stina Nilsson is related to the mental patient Martin Nilsson mentioned in the literature. The entry on August 17th shows a reference book with the name S. Neander-Nilson. slightly different spelling, but wonder if there's a relation to the author intended?

2. Is there any elaboration anywhere on who E.S. is that Theodore keeps referencing in his posts?

3. On November 24th, there is a relatively pointless picture but there are 3 clearly bulleted number lines. Looks like 3-10, 30-30, 19-11. Why bother putting these so clearly on an otherwise pointless image, and it wouldn't be the first time "bullets" or "dots" were used to denote something of importance.

Any thoughts?

14. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks, I already have them in my gameplay notes. I was just curious if you noticed them being used anywhere else.

@jarland
    Nice, thanks for sharing!
    Though sadly his answer seems to be neither here nor there :)

15. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    1. Where did you see her full name was Stina Nilsson? I only inferred Stina's last name connection to Martin Nilsson from the vedtorp.se website (the name of the mill having Nilsson in it)
    Nice catch with the book. It looks like it might be a real book they found during research.

2. Someone in one of the threads here mentioned E.S were the initials for an actual scholar (E. standing for Ebb, as shown in one of the notes in the companion)

3. I wish we knew what they are :) there were some wild speculations about them in the threads here

16. hotzp

hotzp Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Ending Interpretation

This is my interpretation of the ending also. Daniel received the box with the news clipping and the note and disregarded it. This more neatly solves the issue of time travel without bringing in paradoxes or alternate timelines.

And, yes, it's that much more depressing that way. What a fantastic game.

17. ogre800

ogre800 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Baris,
    I believe the September 9th note has a newspaper article describing the incident and Theodore notes her name as well.

I saw someone else posting those numbers and, assuming 30-30 is a mistake that should be correctly written 30-10, those dates line up with bizarre developments in Theodore's research. But, i have trouble believing these developers would publish a mistake like that, given that this is such an accurately built and precisely executed game/marketing effort.

I have a feeling there's nothing left to the game, but i certainly wish there was : \

18. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Ditto. I'm beginning to think the intent of the gear-up was just speculation. Either way, I stopped looking awhile ago and just checked every so often to see if someone had found something. Doesn't look like it though. :/

19. Tommy141

Tommy141 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Here is the translated version of the vedtorp page for anyone who was interested:click here

20. Tommy141

Tommy141 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    One thing I noticed is that it says about the history walks on the first Wednesday of every month quite a lot. Are we supposed to visit vedtorp and go on one?
    That may seem over the top, but simogo did say that hardly anyone was going to find everything. :)