Thumb Space - Pixel Art SHMUP (Launching 05/05/16)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by 0Hayes, Apr 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I wouldn't mind giving a couple hours to beta testing if I could have a more feminine or 'girly' ship.
    What do ya think?
    Maybe a helmet with a cute pink or purple bow on top? A tiara? Baby basket with baby in it? ((Kidding!!!)) :)

2. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    #22 hvianna, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Great! That will be awesome!

About the touch area, I'll have to check again on which ships the (occasional) unresponsiveness was most noticeable.

Thanks for considering our suggestions!

Oh! And about the elite drones, definitely something wrong on both my devices, 'cause I just don't see them anymore. I'll try uninstalling and installing the game again and will report back!

Edit: I reinstalled the game and played thru the tutorial, got two elite drones, died at the second one. After that, played a long run and didn't came across a single elite.

3. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Might I introduce Neon Mist and Moth (my wife's favorite)?

[​IMG]

Thanks! I'll be looking into the elites when I make this latest build. I believe I'll cut the spawn time down to 10-30 seconds.

Me and James are going through all of your suggestions tonight and planning the latest build! I'll post up a list soon but let me know if you guys 'n gals have any more feedback! Always love to hear what you think.

4. hvianna

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    May I suggest an alternate way to reload the special weapon? Maybe tap with two fingers? That would be less disruptive to gameplay.

5. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK

Fair play, I'll try out a couple of ideas. I did originally design it to be difficult, but this was before mods so maybe an easier way of doing it isn't such a bad idea.

To add a pause button we've got to move some elements on the to HUD so this might be the perfect time to experiment with some different locations. Our main idea is to fade the shield and magnet displays and replacing them with a pause button when the game has begun, but moving things might still work.

Thanks again!

6. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I really really like this game! I actually love the way the IAP is implemented. Without a doubt I'll be going for the premium unlock. It's worth the price.

The game gets intense quick even without the mods.

Nice job dev. People are going to like this one. I'll be happy when you put in the relative touch for sure.

I also like that one shot will hit multiple drones. For some reason I find it very satisfying when I line up a 3 drone shot. I'm like eff you drones lol

Billy

7. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Wow Billy, thank! Really appreciate the praise.

When I first started the prototype for Thumb Space the bullet destroying multiple drones was actually a bug, but it turned out to be so satisfying that I left it in!

Just tinkering away in construct 2 implementing features and swatting bugs! I'll hopeful have any update sent to testflight by the end of the day.

8. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    #28 0Hayes, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Hey Folks,

Following your feedback I've been working on adding relative controls (among other things). Here's a link to the prototype: http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/975890/preview (works on mobile)

If you could test it out and let me know if this is correct that would be great!

9. hvianna

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    It feels about right, you might just need to work on the sensitivity. I think the player should be able to move the ship across the entire play area without lifting their thumb off the screen.

10. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Yeah fair play, I'll go build that prototype into Thumb Space and see if I can tighten it up at all.

Cheers!

11. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    New build has been sent to itunes and will hopefully be available on Testflight later tomorrow!

I'll go into some more detail when it's on Testflight but here's a quick rundown on the latest features I've just worked in:

- Relative controls
    - Progressive difficulty
    - Pause option
    - Bug fixes and minor tweaks

Particularly excited about what you all think of the progressive difficulty.

If you're interested in testing this latest build send me a pm and I'll get you added as soon as it's live!

12. hvianna

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    That was fast! Looking forward to test the new stuff!

13. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Thanks hvianna, been pretty excited to get these features in as we're hoping for it to be our final update before we launch!

New testflight build should be ready very soon (currently under review)

14. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Latest build of Thumb Space is now available on TestFlight!

We've added:

- Relative controls, now you can place your thumb anywhere to move the ship!

- Progressive difficulty, over time the endless onslaughting wave of drones will become tougher and harder to shoot down (particularly excited about this one).

- Pause button, highly requested and surprisingly useful.

- Locked ships now have an air of mystery too them.

- home button on the game setup menu, now it's even easier to drop out of the action and make some quick changes to setting, browse the shop or check how your doing on the leaderboard!

- performance improvements (all be it minor and ongoing)

- bug fixes, I've had to remove the menu music due to a bug on ios8 but hopefully it will be back a couple of builds down the line.

As I mentioned previously, we're intending this to be our last build before we launch. All feedback is still very much welcome! It might just be added to a post launch build instead.

Good luck, Thumkind is relying on you!

15. hvianna

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    Awesome stuff! The game is much more intense and satisfying now, and the elite drones are working for me again!

I just noticed that after dying and starting a new game I'm getting shielded drones right from the start.

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I've been playing.

The relative touch is great. Thank you for the pause button! So far I've had no problems. The game is really nice and tough and man as they creep down and you are desperately trying to get them it gets stressful. lol. I'd say it's ready for release.

I'm using the iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3.1 and again no lag or crashes or issues whatsoever. I definitely will be purchasing the unlock this whole sucker option upon release.

Billy

17. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Thanks for testing guys, you've been a massive help in making this game better! Glad to hear your liking the changes. Looks like I'll be sending it off for review tomorrow!

Good spot on the shield bug, really easy fix luckily. I've just not reset the difficulty if you go through the loot drop or advert.

18. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    #38 0Hayes, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    [​IMG]

But we're always looking to expand our fleet!

We'll soon be posting up a competition to design the next ship to appear in Thumb Space. So get your brains working on what epic ship your thumb would like to pilot!

19. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    Just a quick update to let you know that we'll be posting the release date later today as well as details on our upcoming ship design competition!

Thanks to everybody that's been testing and generally having fun with Thumb Space.

20. 0Hayes

0Hayes Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    UK
    [​IMG]

Thumb Space will be hitting the app store on 05/05/16

Huge thanks for all the help and suggestions that have helped shape the game. We're very excited for you all to play!