iPhone Ticket to Ride - (by the devs of 'Small World for iPad')

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 17, 2011.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh, I thought they added it. Too bad.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    #282 VeganTnT, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Not coming. Macworld just posted an article talking with the CEO about the new update.

It provides such gems as : "We think -and the data in the app shows we are correct- that people play differently on the iPhone than they do on the iPad" Oh really!? I never would have guessed...

"They tend to play longer sessions on the iPad than they do on the iPhone" Never mentioning that those numbers are completely skewed. The iPad users paid more for a premium package and are more likely to be avid boardgamers, while the iPhone version has been made free twice. With more users and a high likelihood that users purchased it with only a passing interest inte game, the numbers can't be an accurate account of their target demographic.

Oh and they speak about how async was put into the iPhone version because of a "vocal minority" and that few people use the feature. Perhaps that's because most people that want async are the iPad players who are stuck using the convoluted DOW system to find and play games? or maye it's cause I currently have both versions I ticket to ride on my iPad so I can use one for async and the other for offline play.

Personally, I think it's unfair to limit functionality of an app (especially a higher priced one!) because the developers know what's best for us. I seem to recall them sayin the same thing about Ticket to Ride never becoming universal because the maps just don't work well at the iPhone size... Looks like they were wrong there too.

No mention of huge price difference in iPad expansions versus the iPhone sizes.

---
    Small World fans can rejoice at the fact that they said we should "stay tuned" for an update

link to article

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Wow... that's ridiculous. Forget about buying TtR, I'm going to avoid DoW apps altogether.

4. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    I think probably the main reason they haven't added async to the iPad version is due to compatibility with TtR online (on the DoW website and Steam), which only features real time games.

TtR Pocket is a completely separate app that has no hooks into TtR Online.

That said, I'm with everyone else here in that Async would give this new life online for a lot of folks and hope they reconsider it in the future. I'd rather have this iPad version be it's own thing along with TtR Pocket with async then keep it's real time ties with TtR Online, but I'm sure there's plenty of people that feel the other way.

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So can anybody tell us about the Legendary Asia map?

As far as I can tell the biggest twist are the Mountain Routes which require a player to discard a few extra trains of the routes indicated color (a bit reminiscent of the tunnels of Europe but not random and each sacrificed train in this manner nets the player an extra 2 points).

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It doesn't have to be one or the other though. Look at Carcassonne, Summoner Wars, and Nueroshima Hex; They use their own servers for online gaming and Game Center is just the login info/friend finder (NH isn't as seamless as Playdek's integration).

Ticket to Ride does offer some GC integration but it's woefully inadequate. If you go into the online lobby you can see all your Game Center friends in a separate list... Not the ones that own Ticket to Ride.... ALL OF THEM.

So if I want to coordinate an online game I have to find out if they even own the game, search their user name, invite, then play a live only match.

I won't pretend for a second that it will be an easy task to retrofit their existing system for a sync play but I don't want to use their system. The iPhone versions use full Game Center integration (that's why push notifications come from Game Center instead of the app) so why not side load that system in the iPad app so I can choose the best system for me?

Not railing against you just saying the devs can do more if they stopped pretending they knew everything about their users.

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think you're onto something, the CEO seems to be spouting a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy, "See, hardly anyone is playing multiplayer on the iPad version so why make any effort to improve it if nobody will use it?"

8. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Color me unimpressed with that official company stance.

9. epthegeek

epthegeek Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Ugh! I was really hoping when they updated the ipad version they'd add gamecenter. I've been playing on the pocket version because I HAVE to to get async play - but I would so much rather be able to play on my ipad.

Apparently I'm in that "vocal minority"

10. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #290 soldat7, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    Yup. The value of async play is reduced given the lack of a Universal app as well, sadly. Bad decisions all around. Days of Wonder won't be getting my support anytime soon.

11. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Sad to be sure that they aren't adding asynchronous support to the iPad but I do have the iPhone version so it's not such a loss to me.

What I do want them to do though is update Small World for retina support, then I'll buy it. It hasn't had an update since what 2010?

12. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I think we all need to be very vocal on the DoW forums, send them messages, don't stop until they realize that the people who are VOCAL are the ones who want this. MANY of the discussions on the forums have been about the lack of Asynch on the iPad. These people were not asking for it on the iPhone, it was asked for on the iPad. Ugh, I just don't get the boneheadedness about this.

Let's just bombard them so they understand that it's important this happens, and that we won't rest until it's PUT IN.

(Please let it be known that I actually BARELY play multiplayer on TTR and probably would never use asynch, but that doesn't mean I do not see the strong benefit of it, and would not like to have it available to me... when every other board game I play HAS it.)

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I put a 3 star review on the AppStore (it's a high quality app but I can't justify giving more stars) with the majority of comments I expressed earlier in the thread. Hopefully it gets some likes so it remains visible and forces some action since its so public.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I feebly hoped they'd at least carry over the new leaderboard division offered up in the pocket versions (2 leaderboards per map based on either 2-3 or 4-5 player games).

15. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Their Small World support should have been a big clue to all of us early on.

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    They do mention in the article that something for Small World could be on the horizon. Perhaps they have seen a decent return from Ticket to Ride and realized that iOS as a platform is worth more of their attention.

Ticket to Ride getting Runner Up in best digital board game of 2011 certainly helps.

17. enelya

enelya Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I've read this thread from the beggining but could not find the answer I needed: is it possible for 2 people to play the game, one on iPhone and the other on iPad?

18. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Not possible.

19. Fieryseraph

Fieryseraph Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
    What? My wife and I do it all the time. You just have to buy 2 copies of Ticket to Ride. One for the iPad, and then you have to use the Ticket to Ride mobile version for the iPod. Bluetooth connection, make sure you've both selected the same expansion, boom.

20. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    If they came to the iPad thread to ask this question then it's pretty clear that the question is if the two different versions are compatible. Which they aren't.

The iPad uses a days of wonder account to play online and the iPhone version is solely Game Center.