Universal Tikal (by codito)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Niiiiice...hopefully sooner than later...

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Really lookin forward to Medici and Ra update with online via Game Center.

3. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    Tikal update is now available from the App Store!

All apps price reduced to celebrate!

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #64 crunc, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    I started a game on my iPad, then checked it on my iPhone:

[​IMG]

Note the tile in the middle. I can drag it all around the screen and drop it anywhere. The score stuff on the right is a mess and half off the screen. I run into this bug within minutes of trying. Ugh.

EDIT: I see now that the ugly boxes on the right are apparently a feature. When zoomed in you see the full box. It's ugly, but I guess not a bug. The weird ability to drag that tile around freely, including placing it off the playing area or between places, and when it's not my turn, that is clearly a bug. The next time I checked, after player 2 made a move, there was no tile for me to drag around like that.

5. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    Thanks for the bug report, Crunc. To be honest, we didn't spend a lot of time on testing a switch mid-game to another device. It seems to work fine if you load a game when it's your turn, but sometimes there are some minor glitches if it's someone else's turn.

Regardless, we're on it and you can rest assured that it will be much less than 6 months between updates from now on! :)

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #66 crunc, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    I also seem to find that the game can't be trusted if you jump back into it, at least with multiple devices. I have to manually go to the menu, tap Online and then reload the game, otherwise what I'm seeing may not be where the game is actually at. I had taken my turn, I think it was on my iPad, and then when I later looked at it on my iPhone, on there it was still my turn as if I'd never taken it. I'm not sure what would have happened had I played my turn as I saw it on my iPhone, and in effect sent in two different turns for the same turn. Probably it wouldn't have been good.

I don't understand how you could continue to fail to test this situation before release. Lots of people have multiple devices they play their board games on, and other board games (Carcassonne, Ascension, Disc Drivin', etc) handle it perfectly well.

7. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    I think I understand why this occurs but their server should have the updated status and not accept a new and different move by you. Try it and see. If it does, it's a bug, if not, it's probably a fixable quirk.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Next time it happens I'll give it a shot. That time I reloaded manually. Once you jump back into the game it should automatically reload to get the latest status. Also this is only an issue if the game is still in fast switch memory. But I presume there's a way to tell that the game has been switched back to, because Carcassonne is able to handle this situation fine. Ascension opted to not implement Fast User Switching, which is another option, though obviously not an ideal one.

9. popaj

popaj New Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Will you optimize the game with iPhone 5? If yes, when?

Thnx!

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Now with 64-bit / iOS 11 support! \:D/

11. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Does not work with 12,9“ iPad Pro ... you cannot see any tiles the computer plays ... :(

12. alhvi

alhvi Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Game developer at Selva Interactive
    Guatemala City, Guatemala
    I didn't know this game existed. I'll check it out. Greetings from Guatemala :D

13. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Grabbed Tigris and Ra. Can't believe how good the former is; not sure I understand the latter yet.

One thing that kept me away for so long are the AppStore screenshots. Condito, update those dang things. They've looked blurry and bad for years now. I guarantee that's cost you lots of money.

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I have a 12.9" iPad Pro (1st Gen) with iOS 11.02, and am seeing the AI moves fine, at least in the tutorial.

I'm curious if there are any more details to this that might be needed to reproduce.

(not in any way associated with dev, just a nervous fellow player when told the game isn't working on possibly the same rig)

15. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Here 2. Gen iPad Pro 12,9“ ... I cannot see the tile placement ... there is still the wood. If I leave the game and resume it the tiles are there ... but if the AI places new tiles that new ones are not visible ... I hope, it is clear what I try to explain.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, crap, I now get what you’re saying and can confirm I too can’t see the AI’s newly revealed tiles unless I exit and reload the game. :(

17. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Any chance to contact him? Could you be so kind?

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I have no clue how but have seen them post over at the iOS section of Board Games Geek occasionally:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/164/ios-board-games

Oh but I was able to get a friend of mine to replicate this exact issue on his iPhone 6+, so I'm thinking device type is irrelevant and, if this blatant an error, the devs must have been told of this issue by now. ;)