iPhone Tilt To Live HD - by One Man Left

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    It's a little my problem with the game, my interest in it end in the high score and not fully from the pure pleasure to play it. And now I can't beat anymore my close to 5M score it's becoming tedious.

I don't think you made 10M and stick to 2mn. I could not have understand well the combo thing (if someone can explain clearly the rules), but my understanding is to kill as many read dots in a limited time. And I practice that a lot before the 2mn then at 2mn I almost always get one spawn like I described. I'm almost sure than my best score was done without this spawn but now this spawn is almost 100% of time after 2mn. For me it's a change from version 1 and I regret not have keep a backup.

2. BroonBottle

BroonBottle Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    The main secret of keeping a combo going is that you can't have more than a few seconds between killing red dots (2 or 3 seconds I'd guess) and you need to make best use of whatever power-ups are on screen at the time.

For example, if you've got 3 spiky blue power-ups on the screen don't grab them all at once as they're one of the best weapons for keeping a combo going, grab one, sprint round the screen and as it's starting run down grab the next. While you've got those spiky blue power-ups try and collect some of the weaker power-ups on the screen and hopefully they'll come back as better ones when they regenerate.

Try and grab a green shield whenever possible, but don't be afraid to use it to explode some dots if you've got a combo going and not near the next weapon on the screen.

Try and have some idea where you're heading next on the screen. Try and plan a path that doesn't leave you isolated in a corner of the screen potentially too far from the next power-up to keep your combo going.

Give it 10 or 20 seconds at the start of the game before using any big power-ups because there's not much on the screen to use them on. Just use the weak ones and hope they get replaced by better ones.

Other people may have different tactics but those are some of the things that I try to do to help build my scores.

3. riceman360

riceman360 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    re: combos;
    my code red high score is 8.2 mil and i got that in 1min 5sec. total fluke, my second highest is like 3 mil.

4. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    It's exactly what I am doing and I'd be surprised you reach 10M under the 2mn.

There's much more dots in code red.

5. zeke013

zeke013 Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I love this game.

Hit 43,471,558 late last week. Was #25 on the leaderboard. Am #31 now. Can't break 8,000,000 since.

But, holy cow, this game keeps dragging me back to play!

SOOOO addicting.

6. Cynicalone

Cynicalone Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    For the first 30 seconds or so I just randomly kill the dots. There really aren't enough of them to make a combo. But after about 30 seconds you can begin to slowly kill them off, never leave a gap of more than a second between kills and you can keep the combo going.

If there are extra shields on the field I take them, to get weapons. And I always try to start the vortex counting down as soon as they appear. The burnicade is great from building walls of safety to hide behind and they keep the combo going while you stay safe.

It is very easy to combo into the 5 to 10 million range in less than 3 minutes. Then you just need to avoid being trapped in the middle of the screen when the big dot patterns appear. If you can survive the waves you have enough dots to easily build combos that will send your score beyond 10 million.

7. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Mmm yes wait during the beginning is boring, what I do here is to use the weak weapons to make better spawn.

Thanks a lot for the combo explanation, in no way I realized it was a matter of delay between kills.

For the Shield I use the current before take another and sometimes I keep for later because they save often my life. But I see that it could be better for a score to do it like you suggest.

Yes I also trigger any Vortex asap and see usage of weapons like Burnicade.

The problem is to survive the big patterns at 2mn, I saw the labyrinth once otherwise it's almost always the grid. But bellow 2mn you don't make such scores. So now I'm glued to score lower than my best. Hence the game has started be tedious for me.

8. OneManLeft

OneManLeft Well-Known Member

No doubt those are some of the hardest formations for Tilt to Live. We tried to design the difficultly of both TtL and TtL HD so players can have a fun experience within 2-3 minutes of the game. HD might have been a more heavy handed approach with the abruptly harder waves at the 2 minute mark though. Thanks for the feedback!

9. Cynicalone

Dec 18, 2009
    @OneManLeft Is Game Center suport coming to the iPad with the next update?

Assuming Apple does push out the 4.2 update soonish.

I have to say that the only bug I encounter is the no dot's one I mentioned before. I can repeat this very easily by taking the iPad to areas of my house with a weak wi-fi signal. You can play the game all you want, it won't crash but the dot's will not regenerate for several minutes at a time. And the game clock is completely broken. You can play the game for 10 minutes and only 2 will pass on your final score. It' like the game forgets to generate dot's. You get one or two dot's on the screen, maybe one small pattern every 60 seconds or so. You should be able to repeat this just by taking the iPad into an area with a weak wi-fi signal.

In areas where I have a strong wi-fi signal the game is very smooth. As much as it can be on the iPad. It does tend to get a little sluggish when you have a few hundred dot's chasing you around the screen at the same time. But I blame that on Apple and the lowly 256MB of RAM.

To me this is a great game and well worth the money for the IAP to unlock everything.

10. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've installed the Goldmaster Beta 4.2 iOS, and Tilt to Live aren't currently supporting Gamecenter in this OS, it's probably coming soon.

Btw, I'm absolutely love iOS 4.2 on IPad!
    Multitasking, folders, AirPrint and AirPlay - finally the iPad got some loving from apple.
    Playing the sound from games via AirPlay over my sound system in my living room is great. AirPlay does require an Airport Express connected to your sound system though, but it's so worth the money...

Love Tilt to Live HD, one of my all time favourites.

11. OneManLeft

Yes, I'm currently trying to wrap up the Game Center update, but the amount of turkey I ate is slowing me down.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So is HD getting the Turret as well?

13. OneManLeft

Yes that is the plan thus far. We're hoping to have the turret in HD in by January

14. Cynicalone

Dec 18, 2009
    One Man Left just tweeted that the Game Center update has been submitted to Apple.

15. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Is this update going to have the same stuff as the last update for the iPhone?

16. Cynicalone

Dec 18, 2009
  17. zeke013

zeke013 Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Sweeeeeeet. . .

Can't wait!

18. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    What's New in Version 1.3

19. Cynicalone

Dec 18, 2009
    Well my dot's no longer disappear but now they appear as white dots that don't move. They can't kill you but they fill the screen eventually and don't move. I took screen shots. Like ghosts or something, could be a new game mode. :D

Attached Files:

20. Cynicalone

Dec 18, 2009
    After more playing time and a few resets more bugs have occurred.

When switching back to the game using multitasking some but not all of the sound effects are missing.

And the combo counter might be buggy now, I have seen it count dots even when I wasn't killing anything. Makes for some crazy scores.