Time of Heroes - 3D Fantasy-Tactic by smuttlewerk interactive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by smuttlegiaco, Jun 10, 2011.

1. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    there's still a lot of work to be done, but some of the biggest things are nearly finished (AI mainly). As soon as we have the interface ready, I'll post some new screenshots.

august won't see that much progress. we are currently in a sort of "holiday mode" (I should sit on my bicycle instead of answering here :rolleyes:...perhaps I'll start my tour tomorrow)

2. That's like going into details.....Also, any plans for a lite version?

3. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    About time...

Warsong is my favorite game of all time. This is an instant buy for me

4. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @J2SCat: a lite version will most probably come, yes.

@blebhertz: I played Warsong a thousand times back in the days. What a truly wonderful game this was. We do our best to make something like this happen again. :)

5. doomedge

doomedge Member

Jul 31, 2011
    woahhhh looks amazing D:, will this be universal?

6. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    yes sir, this one will be universal.

7. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    I can't await to show you guys the interface and the new units we made. we are working full time on this baby now and I really hope that in about 2-3 weeks time we have great material to show you.

the release will be around mid-late october if all goes as planned. :)

8. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
  9. williamsyee

williamsyee Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    This is awesome! Another great TBS game coming! :D

10. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    How does terrain affect a battle? Also, I noticed in the initial battle, the enemy broke and ran. Why were they able to be re-engaged in the next battle? And why did they fight after they had just been broken?

The game looks interesting, but I need to see more about the controls - especially formations and attacks. At this point, it looks like a lot of random hacking and running around once a battle starts - there doesn't seem to be any strategy; that's fine, if it's just going to be like watching the outcome of a D&D dice roll, but I'm curious about the intent.

I'm interested in seeing more, though!

--DotComCTO

11. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #51 smuttlegiaco, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    I give you a quick overview over the battle system:

You may only attack horizontally or vertically.

There are 4 different types of units:

1. Melee Units
    2. Heavy Units
    3. Ranged Units (ranged units can only attack adjacent targets, like any other unit)
    4. Flying Units

Melee units have a combat value advantage against heavy units
    Heavy units have a combat value advantage against ranged units
    Ranged units have a combat value advantage against flying units
    Flying units have a combat value advantage against heavy units and melee units

Each hero and unit has a combat value and a defence value.

Hero's have a command range. All units within the command range gain a combat/defence bonus depending on the level and type of the hero (or the item the hero has equipped).

There are 6 different typed of terrain:

1. Plain
    2. Street
    3. Forest
    4. Marsh
    5. Rough
    6. Hill

Depending on your unit type (melee, heavy, etc.) the different terrain types give different defensive boni.

That's basically it. We thought about formations in the beginning, but didn't include them.

There's no such thing like a broken unit in Time of Heroes. The unit that received the most damage during a battle flees. (I see, a real wargamer, aren't you? Perhaps, if the game sells well enough, we could make a hardcore-wargamer version including logistics, formations and whatnot... :D)

Keep the question's coming!:)

12. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I like the idea of the game and seems like it will be fun. I think I'll probably buy it day 1 in order to support you guys and maybe get that hardcore version released! :D

13. ShempSter

ShempSter Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Now this looks cool, I will be watching for it!

14. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    that's the spirit! :)

our blog will be online this week, so more information about the game will soon be available.

15. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
  16. hapaninja

hapaninja Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Art Director for Soma Games and Code-Monkeys
    Portland, OR
    Game looks like it could be pretty epic. I really like the idea of building your army with all of their different stats and then getting to see the battle unfold in a more cinematic view. Art's looking nice, keep us updated!

17. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #57 GoofyJmaster., Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks guys! Looking forward to this game. :D

Also, if you guys need beta testers for future releases/updates count me in!

18. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My question is the same as for any other turn-based game for iOS that catches my interest: will there be asynchronous online multiplayer?

It's the killer/hallmark/make-or-break feature for nearly any turn-based strategy title on iOS, and often marks the difference between a single player experience of a few hours (brilliant though it may be), and a game that will live for years. (It is also a new paradigm within gaming, and the one thing mobile gaming devices can do on a whole different level than other platforms. To my mind, this genre of games is the single greatest asset of iOS and Android, other than the unique control methods offered by the touch screen and the portability.)

Once the multiplayer appeal and persistence is there, releasing expansions/DLC/IAP, building a good rep and hyping a sequel/other game by the same developers, and most other forms of financially meaningful activities (stuff that will get you dough ;) ), becomes a considerably more accessible process.

Carcassonne lives on in great grace thanks to its multiplayer, whereas the Neuroshima Hex forum thread is filled to the brim with requests for asynchronous online play. Final Fantasy Tactics is awesome without it, but would have been absolutely groundbreaking with it...

19. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    smuttlegiaco, is the game still way early in development, if so are you planning to make the environments less barren and have more detailed textures and scenery objects? I am going to buy it regardless because companions was the bomb yo, just curious how far along the posted screenshots were and if it was going to be more lively looking,

20. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @hapaninja: thx!

@GoofyJmaster: ok. I can't say wether there will be a beta at this point. time is running short...but if we do a beta, then you're on our list!

@Ayjona: multiplayer will definitly come, but not at release. we just don't have the time at the moment to include it, if we want to release in mid/late november. but it'll be there, for sure. we also plan on doing more campaigns and stuff (only if the game sells well of course).

@the9quad: our graphics guy currently works on loads of scenery objects. you're right of course. we need more personality for the maps. rest assured, the maps will be enhanced. :) as to Companions: the "random endless crawler" is under heavy construction. we will offer it as IAP, but it'll be a game of its own basically.