Time of Heroes - 3D Fantasy-Tactic by smuttlewerk interactive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by smuttlegiaco, Jun 10, 2011.

1. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    MUSHROOMS! Why are they all pentagons? Can they not be round or a bit oval in shape? :p

2. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    :) well, well....give every mobile device out there the power of an iPad2 and you can have your perfectly rounded mushrooms.

seriously, we have quite a lot 3D objects on the map and tried to build them as low-poly as possible. the game will run on iPod3 and iPhone3GS...

3. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    JAN! OMG i cant freakin wait those screenies look beautiful....and i can smell decent gameplay a whole month away!

4. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    we added three new difficulty settings as a last minute thing. first we only had three different AI settings (easy, normal, hard), but now you can also choose the number of units you play against.

so you could play with easy AI against hordes of monsters, or choose hard AI against an average amount of enemies. I'm glad we did that. it adds more flexibility for differnt gamer types.

I'll try to post a new screenshot or two tomorrow. :)

5. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
  6. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    Wow another insta-buy for me. And I usually dont like these games. Weird.

7. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    :)

glad you like it!

8. Kumeelyun

Kumeelyun Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Love the trailer. The whole setting of the game could be the backdrop for that kind of 80's hair-metal album covers. Will you give the whole game that kind of tongue-in-cheek setting or will it take a more serious tone?

9. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    hey kumeelyun,

most of the time it'll be serious, but I tried to include some humor, when I thought it is appropriate.

I like stories the most with both, tragic and comic moments, and handle it that way when I write them myself.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #110 undeadcow, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
    How much will Time of Heroes cost? I am trying to manage my surplus holiday iTunes credit.

11. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #111 smuttlegiaco, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    we will do a special release price for early adopters: 0.99$.

after a few days it'll cost 2.99$ or 3.99$. :)

12. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Well, it's an instant purchase with your planned early adopters sale. Really looking forward to it. :)

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Didn't even know about(or remember) this game, but that hilarious trailer sold me! :D Will be day 1 purchase for me too! Love me some TBS.

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That early adopter price seems absurd, surely this is worth more.

15. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    yes, it is. :) you will get 7 maps (play time: roughly 5-8 hours), depending on your play style (and difficulty level). and the game is universal upon release, too.

About the difficulty:

you can choose between three AI difficulties and three "enemy numbers" difficulties. this is one feature I really love and it adds so much to the replay value of the game and it allows newcomers of the genre to play without being frustrated.

we will also include a "star-score" system to the game (dunno if we'll be able to include this on release). so, if you loose few units and kill many enemy units you get more stars etc. (other parameters will be included also)

the campaign covers the arrival of the northlanders in Altland (the guys which will become the minotaur race in Companions) and the battles against the human hunting madmen, the dwarf Ung Bulmitz and the elf Shoto Gar, and, of course, the fighting against the forces of Detexx, the dark god.

we are already working on the second campaign of the game which will be available through iAP. another 5-7 maps, mostly bigger than the ones before, containing new units and new maps. the update will be available in february.

we also added 8 item packs you can buy. each pack costs .99$. for that price you get between 2-4 very strong items per package. you don't need them to play the game, but if you like to own an enemy faster, they're definitly worth a look. once you buy them, they'll be available for all future games.

If the sales go very well, we may decide to add new/more campaigns.

you should have seen us laughing after I recorded the vocals. I had a hard time trying to sound somewhat serious. :D

16. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm not developer but after you've done the work on game engine and graphics I'd humbly suggest you expand the number of maps and flesh out a campaign as it seems most of the difficult work is behind you. I'd be glad to support IAP map/story expansions.

17. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    I understand you. But don't underestimate the level-design, in terms of work power needed. if you want to have a fun game, you have to play each map many times to figure out the best positions for own and enemy units etc.

I need 3-5 days to form a map, place all objects and make it nice to look upon.

Another 3-5 days (in cycles, due to playtesting) to place enemy units, player starting points, triggers etc.

Another day for adding the story for each map.

So, for 7 maps I need somewhere between 25 to 45 days. And I started with the level design mid/end of november (couldn't do it earlier because some main game mechanics weren't implemented before that point).

I have other things to do, too. So I possibly could do 10 maps in one month if I do nothing else, but that won't happen.

when we do such a game next time, we'll invest more time into building a prototype first, so I can begin the level design work, while the other guys do the coding, graphics and sound stuff.

we started this whole enterprise only one- and a half year ago and we are still learning. but we do our best and I surely hope it shows in our products.

18. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

Looking forward to this Smut!

19. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

Btw will there be icloud saving between multiple devices since its universal?

20. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    yes, iCloud saving is supported