Universal Time of Heroes - (by smuttlewerk) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 18, 2012.

1. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    hey all,

the price is for early adopters. the first three days 0.99$. after that the price will rise to 2.99$. ;)

as to iAP: purely optional, as with all our games. I played the game on hard/hordes without using the better items from the shop, so no worries there. you get different item packages, which give you advantages over your enemies.

the game is no "spoof". if you like TBS you'll like this game, I'm sure of it.

have fun!

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks Smut I look forward to playing this!

3. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Argh... another reason to grab more iTune credits...

Hm... I actually like this IAP model (haven't seen it but sounds good). Guess I'll take it as a paid 'cheat mode' for those who love the game, have the money to spare and doesn't have the tactical mind to get pass certain obstacles.

Why can't all TBS games have extended battle scenes like this one!?

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Only game I know I'll be getting for sure tonight. Looks incredible.

5. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    yep. been looking forward to this since the release of Companions. good luck, ill be buying this at 11 tonight

6. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I wish the Smuttle crew good luck for this! :)

7. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Smuttle crew and Crescent crew should get together and make a game... I can only imagine! :cool:

8. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I will definitely be picking this up tonight! I have to voice my disappointment with the lack of GC support though.

TBH if this was more than a dollar I might've not bought it due to it not including GC. But hey, that's just me.

9. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Exactly what I was thinking. Only an insta buy because it's so cheap.

10. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, games that don't include GC are pretty annoying. Games that include GC leaderboards, but no achievements irk the living hell out of me because I could care less about leaderboards. Plus, I'm usually pretty near the top, which just shows iOS short term gaming.

I'm pretty sure I'll be picking it up tonight because I believe the gameplay will be excellent.

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

A quick launch and a few minutes of gameplay (I am actually itching to play some FFT and Ravenmark tonight on what little time I have for games, so I will not dive deeper into Time of Heroes until tomorrow) exhibits a game that seems both polished and cleverly designed, and none too rehashed, unoriginal or commonplace on this platform. It does not seem to be quite on a par with Ravenmark, in terms of either polish, UI, writing and narrative, or combat mechanics and depth of strategy, but that is a very high bar to jump for, and Time of Heroes has an RPG portion that seems to make up for much of this, and that seems well-designed and reasonably deep for a TBS.

All in all, my first impressions show me a great game that could well have sold for several dollars more and still have been very worthwhile.

12. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    ^Pretty much what I was thinking, even though I haven't played the game yet.

Something about ToH just seems good! If there was GC support I'd easily be willing to pay more.

13. Kildar

Kildar Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    How are the controls? I didn't liked the controls in companions so I deleted the game within 30 minutes of playing it.

Are the controls easy to pick-up and learn?

14. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    TBS. 0.99? All right, I'll bite. I started to watch the 10 minute video and then said - screw it. It's 99 cents. I'll find out when I play it.

15. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    is this more like Starcraft (total war and combat centered) or Civilization (focused on building and managing with war thrown in)?

16. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    probably like fire emblem the most.

17. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #37 Marcus70, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Is IAP for more maps (second campaign) still planned for February?

And I already brought it of course, thanks for the intro sale!

18. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    #38 drach, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Well since Starcraft is an RTS and Civ a TBS, this is more like Civ. But it is all about war. I think it compares most with Heroes of Might and Magic 3 or 4. I've just played one mission. The controls are ok on the iPhone although I imagine it would be better on an iPad. However, my brief stint so far says I'll be spending more time with this.

It does require more initial investment of time to get set up than say Great Little War Game, and the graphics remind me a bit of Battle for Wesnoth, but the 3-d battle scenes make it seem more polished than BfW. I believe it has been already worth my measly buck.

19. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    Well now I know why I never liked these games. Wtf am I supposed to do?! I lost the first fight. Go me?

I would have preferred an interactive tutorial for the newbies like me. I have no idea what I am supposed to do. Move in blocks, run, attack?

20. Cyberniskos

Cyberniskos Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Game Impressions

I agree with others messages. I haven't had much time to play yet but from what I've experienced, this game seems to have been well designed and the realisation is very good too.

I appreciate mostly the ability to save nearly anytime, which should be mandatory on any portable game.

I think it's really underpriced and even if I don't like iaps, I'll probably buy a few one for support.