Universal Tiny Tower: 5th Anniversary Edition (by NimbleBit)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. bprichard

bprichard Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Global Operations Manager
    Shanghai
    gunxsword is right. I didn't realize there is a x2 stock bonus. Makes the dreamer much more appealing. I just like evicting people, so I look for any reason to do so.

I wish they would show an animation of the evicted bitizen forlornly walking away with a hobo bag-on-stick.

2. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    #462 dbhjed, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    The construction time is determined by your highest floor. Every time you buy a new floor construction time increases by 30 mins.

Attached Files:

3. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I also just saw "i just like to smile smiling's my favorite"

Someone at Nimblebit is a HUGE Will Ferrell fan ;)

Nothing will beat "I Love Lamp" which, however, was not a Ferrell quote directly, but just from Anchorman. That quote is one of my all time favorite movie quotes, as well.

Comes in waves. I usually get one maybe a few times an hour. I had one where I got 2 within about 20 minutes, then it was another hour until the next. Yes, I'm sure they increase the frequency earlier in the levels, but they do still happen as you go on. I've got 18 floors and I'm still getting them.

Time to fully close out and restart for anyone that this happens to. I have not seen it go more than 2 minutes without having another person in the elevator.

And this is my ONLY issue with this game.

Why?

Because I CAN NOT LEAVE IT.

I swear, since this morning I've been unable to do a lot of things today but I've been able to do simple things so ANY second of idle time has been spent on this game. I barely ever pry my eyes away. Right now, typing this, knowing that I have a Bitizen waiting on the bottom floor. I KNOW that I might get all of 1 Bux from them, but STILL man, the game draws me back in.

17 floors, 7 residences, 10 buildings, but I NEVER WANT TO STOP 0.O

Forget any other game of its type, and I can't promise that this will continue, but for the $5 I have spent on the game I have gotten SO Much enjoyment out of it. I've gotten paid enough Bux that I've never actually NEEDED to pay, I could have gotten enough just by waiting for a few days.

But I'm impatient and I DID want to get a jump start ;)

As for the exploit, I use it from time to time just like I did in Adventure Bay. If I get a few Bux out of it every hour or two, so what? With 17 floors no one seems to want to chill on the first 5 floors, and once you get past 10 you MOST likely aren't going to get more than 1 tap.

Here's the thing.

The fact that there are confirmations for spending Bux, the fact that they are so easy to earn by simply committing your time to the game, the fact that so much love has gone into it, the movie quotes, the "dream jobs", the stats. It's all so very SIMPLE in so many ways, but at the same time it's so damn cool, too.

In order for this to have legs, though, more is going to need to be added. I can easily see after a week most people having everyone filled in a dream job and going "what next?"

What are people doing for locations of the residences? Are you leaving them in the same spot?

I'm debating purchasing the 3rd level of the elevators, and by the time someone responds I'll likely have done it - but has anyone else bought it? I look at it this way, a HUGE amount of my time is ferrying people to earn more bux, which I get a lot of. So ferrying more is better, faster, right...?

4. andsoitgoes

Something I noticed.

Big Spenders ALWAYS seem to take all of whatever the lowest level item you have in stock, so just be aware. Was a major bummer :(

Fully stocking - I usually get coins, but I've gotten easily 4 bux from fully stocking a floor.

Dream Job - Assigning a dream job gets you 3 bux per person. I am THIS close to having a full floor filled with dream job employees :) If this creative turns into a photo studio, I'm going to be tickled pink.

Frick, I just filled another dream job position at a pub.

KICK BUTT.

Although this post has taken me endless time to do because I've been distracted.

This game is a productivity KILLER o_O

5. anthem47

anthem47 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    There's something a bit sad about bitizens who are dreaming about a job they have poor skill in. =( Maybe we need a university floor to train bitizens in...or is the skill number some kind of inate aptitude? Heh, I love this game.

6. andsoitgoes

I like it when I see a guy who wants to work at a record shop that has 2 or 3 skill in everything. It might have been a coincidence when I saw it, but the "Slacker" thought I had immediately made me laugh.

7. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Hey, I was wondering. When you demolish floors, does it change the stocking times for the new store? Like if you demolish one of your earlier shops with a 30m stocking time and rebuild it, does the new shop have a 30m stocking time?

8. andsoitgoes

I'd like to see the ability to sort, at least this:

Citizens by their each individual stat, current employment, dream job, happiness.

List of all jobs, ability to sort by which ones have openings, and something else here, can't figure out which.

A way to see, even when stocking, how much stock the businesses have.

Would be nice to see a time log of when different things arrived. Since you're running an entire tower complex, being able to see all the stuff would be really cool.

I'd also like more ways to interact with people. I think back to the Apple IIe days and "Little Computer People", and how much this game reminds me of that. Being able to add things ala the Sims would be kind of cool. There's not a lot to what's there right now, so being able to do more than just paint would be nice.

More mini games. I like the Where's Waldo game, but there needs to be more :) It doesn't need to give us Bux, though, just something to change it up! :)

Problems

My achievements are now stuck. I have 17 floors but haven't unlocked the Triskaid achievement, shows 92%

I don't know if I'm the only one in this camp, but to see only 3 different levels of happiness isn't really great for me. Basically either people are working their dream jobs or they're entirely apathetic about life. I get that they are skilled at a job, but couldn't they maybe be just "happy" if they're in a job they're great at? And then uber happy when in their dream job?

9. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #469 gunxsword, Jun 24, 2011
    My sensitive perception tells me that my first elevator upgrade also increased the frequency/decreased delay in new people appearing. Can someone confirm? The price for the 2nd elevator upgrade (75 bux!?) is way too steep for my 17 floor building (no IAP, yet :D)
    Depends on the store and its items. I demo'd a bar with 1 min stock 1st item and got a yogurt shop instead. Demo'd that as well. Finally went for something else and stuck with it since.
    Ah no. More of EVERYTHING please :D

10. supergm

supergm Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2011
    I have no patience to play this game now. I've built the second floor and it says that I haven't enough coins to build a new floor. As to other stuff it says that I don't have enough tower bux for that. What's the matter? It's my first time to play this kind of game. Who can tell me how to deal with it?

11. Jengajam

Jengajam Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Game Reviewer/Creative Lead
    Singapore
    #471 Jengajam, Jun 24, 2011
    Well, this isn't a game you can sit through in a day. The restocking, building and everything about the game will take time, making it convenient for folks who have other things to do.

I just let the game run in the background and go on with my day. It's a slow and steady process, but I'm already 7 floors up and it's my second day. But when you do focus all your time on the game, you'll notice more opportunities will arise. Ferrying people in lifts and finding people in your building will offer you more bux from time to time. Save up the bux for other uses (50 bux exchanges you $100,000), not just to hurry stuff up.

That's my opinion for you. Now for the rest of you, I have a question.

Is it possible to delete and swap out the Pub on Floor 2 for something else? I tried it and 3 hours later, I got back... a pub.

12. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    A few things to make clear:
    1. This is a freemium game. You can play for free, but the ultimate goal of the devs is to milk money out of your impatience.
    2. This is a heavily watered down business simulation running in real life time. Play this as a job, not a game :D
    3. Simulation games always start slowly before ramping up the intensity. Think Sim City for example, your two floors in this game is equivalent to a main road with houses on the side. 10 floors ~ a small village and it'll be a long process before it develops into a freaking metropolis.

My advice (please note, I'm a very impatient person though doesn't mind grinding...)
    1. *Abuse the notification option. The game will tell you when a store is ready to stock. Take that opportunity to restock other stores.
    2. Do something else in the process of waiting eg. transport ppl via the elevator etc or just do something unrelated to this game and follow advice 1.
    3. If all else fails, try playing other freemium games then come back to this one. You'll appreciate how much better this game is compared to EVERYTHING else.

13. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    The game chooses randomly from a pot which gets bigger the more floors on your tower. best bet would be keep it for a bit and when you have some more floors try again.

Also I am the only one whose main goal for the game is to have all the floors? I know it is a bit annoying with the shops that need to be restocked more often but sooner or later it will be someones dream job.

Also when you have all 3 items in stock you get a bonus so the ones that need to be restocked more often can pay in Bux with the bonus.

14. andsoitgoes

I have a pub, but others have yogurt stands. Seems random, but obviously not stupidly random :)

Super, I have no idea what to say to you. Other than suggesting you take maybe some time out of your day to sit with the game to get things going. Otherwise most games like this are a bit slow to start.

As for the ferrying, the faster the more frequent I think. I don't wait longer than a minute pretty much at any point to ferry someone. It took me 8 seconds that last time. So if you want to sit with the game for a while, focus on upgrading the elevator. I can earn a ton in tips, but it might just be luck. It's also too addicting for me this way. I feel like I'm 5.

15. bprichard

bprichard Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Global Operations Manager
    Shanghai
    I also would like to have all the levels, but I can't imagine it happening. Your income grows in a linear fashion, while (I think) the price of opening a new level grows geometrically. So this means you need a lot of money.

Therefore:
    1. Grind grind grind. Get more bux and convert to coin.
    2. Light up the IAP. That's not going to work for me. Hope some will go that route for the sake of the developer, but no way I'm one of them.

16. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    The more businesses you have the more money you make. During the beta I had 42 floors before it was done, and money was coming in fast. I would wake up to 100,000 coins and make around 2,000 a minute some times. I never had to grind or buy IAP (couldn't during the beta). After floor 30ish it isn't worth converting bux to coins since you make money so fast. At that time bux worked better to help people move in so you can make more money :)

17. supergm

Apr 23, 2011
    Thank you for your advice. I've delete the Pub on the Floor 2. Now do I just wait for it?

18. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Ok, I finally realized that the stocking times are dependent on the store type. I was under the impression that they were related to the number of floors, or the order in which the stores were placed. Seems that is incorrect.

In case anyone is curious, I think there are ~130 different shops/apts that you can have: 80 shops and 50 apartments. I'm led to believe that 100 is not the max height for your tower because with only 99 floors (the lobby is F1), you cannot get all of the achievements without demolishing something. You need 20 apartments for the 100x citizens achievement, and you need 80 shops for the shop-related ones. On the other hand, with a 131 floor tower, you can have all 80 shops (240 employees) and 50 apartments (250 residents), which would work out nicely.

19. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    I don't know where people are getting the 100 fixed floors from. I believe it is limited by the number of different shops/apartments available.

20. supergm

Apr 23, 2011
    Thank you for your advice. I'll keep it in my mind.