Tiny Wings clones for Android: now with more more plagerism!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, May 22, 2011.

1. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    The art style of the turtle one was copied directly from the PSP hit, "Patapon".

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #22 arta, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
    SkyMuffin, this is more than merely copying gameplay and tweaking it within the genre, there's are obviously game assets taken directly from Tiny Wings and slightly modified. THAT is wrong.
    Exactly. The first game has direct sound assets taken from the original game, some are tweaked in pitch, others in speed, but there's no doubt that direct game assets were taken from Tiny Wings. That's definitely plagerism.

3. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
  4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Holy shit! You got me beat! :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Check this out as well! :eek:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ebindust.tinywings&feature=search_result

[​IMG]

5. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1044777
    Wow.

6. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Well at least the windows mobile version is free. Those android aholes are charging , thier a bunch of crooks. Also I found they got a deadspace of sorts for free for windows mobile. The link is here

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-touch-pro-2/140272-free-dead-space-survivor-windows-mobile-wvga-game.html

Also they got angry birds adventure which is like supermariobros look here

http://www.pocketpcfreeware.mobi/download-angry-birds-adventure.html

I know because I still have my windows mobile device. I can find more if you like hahaha

7. Mivo

Mivo Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Germany
    Now, that is a game I would love to play on an iOS device! Sadly, it's very unlikely to happen since Patapon is a Sony game. And looking at the Sony NGP coming out later this year, they apparently having given up on the mobile gaming market. :)

As for plagarism, well, it happens pretty much everywhere. Art, gaming, music, and so on. It could well be considered inspiration and at least in the earlier middle ages this was not only encouraged, but considered good manners (to copy the masters)

When I first saw Angry Birds, I was instantly reminded of Ballerburg, a German Atari ST game I had played in 1987. :)

8. banlieue

banlieue Well-Known Member

May 22, 2011
    In no way can the issue be settled down to talk about gray zone plagerism in app industry.
    Personally I'm pleased to take your side, but just consider how hard it will be to quantify the similarity of two games.
    You shouldn't ask for too much from reality when YOU ARE THERE.
    Additionally, the most essential element that drives success, is not the concept itself but more of the way you promote it.

9. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    the top payed app without any substantial updates, like for example performance and terrain optimizations. why should customers care if someone copies this game for android.

10. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    You are being over-dramatic, and unrealistic. That is, unless you actually invented Match-3. If you did you would have every right to sue them.

There's a reason why direct Tetris clones are removed from the App Store. EA, who owns the rights, can threaten a lawsuit for anything that copies Tetris. People can make something *similar* with *similar* pieces, but if you use the same shapes with same rules, it is definitely copyright infringement.

So no, Andreas can't sue someone who uses a turtle instead of a bird, with similar game-play. But if any of the sounds really were copied, or any other assets, that is copyright infringement, and is grounds for a lawsuit.

11. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    As I quote myself , this is true ripoffs. Plus the tiny wings! A game that is similar isnt a ripoff unless it uses assets of original game. Fi you use any assets from an original game and charge for it , then its a rippoff period.

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  13. daniller

daniller Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    LOL. This one is really funny and changes a lot, looking like Janpenese style such as the music and the main ninjia-like character. I like Tiny Wings as well as this one. The flying turtle is also ok because its tortoiseshell is so cute when used as a skateboard. The retund bee is really strange as bee can fly. There is no need to touch to make it climbing mountains.

14. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    um, birds are supposed to be able to fly too...

Look, there are two different kinds of video game plagiarism. One where you steal the idea, one where you literally try and copy EXACTLY what made the original good just so you can get some sales hanging on the coattails of the original project.

The first happens all the time and is generally accepted as ok, if not honorable. The second is generally frowned upon.

A good example is gameloft, sure with mc2 they totally ripped off the idea of modern warfare, that's the first type of idea-stealing. The second would be if they had all the elements of modern warfare, all the same guns, all the same environments, a snowmobile segment, stuff like that.

The point is that I clearly see both of these games ripping off not just the concept of tiny wings, but every tiny little thing that made tiny wings good. And that's just lazy.

15. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Unfortunately for the small developers, it is up to them to defend their work, and legal fees are not cheap. Even though attorneys are happy to work for "free" (taking 35% or more if they win) for personal injury, wrongful death, and medical malpractice, there are not too many attorneys that are going to go after some small Indie dev especially if they are based in another country. It's a crap shoot if Apple pulls it, unless you are a EA or Gameloft. So, while there may be rip offs, there are also a number of games developed around the same time frame with similar mechanics. In my 3 years of watching App store trends, I'm amazed that there are literally waves of similar products with similar ideas that all surfac within a few weeks of each other. Just circumstance, not rip offs. If you feel a game is a rip off, don't buy it, but trying to prove everything that is close to another popular game has to be a rip off is just sort of dumb.

16. orea

orea Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    editor
    Really a hot topic. I've played Tiny Wings and seriously love it. As to the plagerism, each time I just regard it as a joke and continue to play my Tiny Wings. Hope for more creative games but not copied ones.

17. daniller

daniller Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Lol, I habitually think the little thing in Tiny Wings is a lovely chick because it reminds me of the movie Chicken Run. Having done a reserch on this point, I'm sorry for my mistake. I still love Tiny Wings because it have given me much fun when I feel depressed. As to the matter of rip-off games, I agree with you but there still have this kind of thing. What I do is to hold on to my favorite that is always in my list and give a try to the others, laugh, and throw them away.

18. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I'm getting the feeling that the developer of Tiny Wings does not care about updating the game with new features.

I've been playing this flash version:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/fexLabs/dillo-hills

This game has tons of new features of what should be added to Tiny Wings... I think this version will be coming out on iOS and Android as well. This game in my own opinion is so much better and if the Tiny Wings developer does not get his finger out and update then he will find his game sinking fast to be replaced by a better one.

19. Dragu Rawr

Dragu Rawr Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    In case you all forgot, almost every game is a ripoff of an ripoff. which means EVERY GAME IS A PONG RIPOFF

20. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009